Mission Models Polyeurethane Intermix gone bad?

On 4/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, tosouthern66 said:

I had the same issue with the bottle I had last summer. Lost the A/C for a few days. When I received my paints and went to use them I noticed two things. First the reducer smelled and felt the same as the Createx 4012 High Performance Reducer. Tested it out and had no issues. The Poly also seemed to be the same as Createx's 4030 Intercoat and Mix Additive. Tested that as well with no issues. So if you have a Hobby Lobby near by and do not want to order the MM stuff go get those items from Hobby Lobby. Don't forget to use the 40% off online coupon.

I have both the Createx  Intercoat 4030 and MM Polly additive and both are the same product. I also suspect the MM Thinner is just a  repackaged Createx 4012. And Createx product are way cheaper.

18 minutes ago, nachjager said:

I have both the Createx  Intercoat 4030 and MM Polly additive and both are the same product. I also suspect the MM Thinner is just a  repackaged Createx 4012. And Createx product are way cheaper.

I wonder if you check the MSDS  for those if you could tell if they are the same?

10 minutes ago, boom175 said:

I wonder if you check the MSDS  for those if you could tell if they are the same?

That would be a great way to compare both products, unfortunately the MM site does not provide a Safety Data Sheets for its products. I have both and can tell you they smell, look and act exactly the same way, I have sprayed MM paint with both and they behave the same way. Hell, I have even mixed MM with Future and the resulting finish is even better and smoother than using their poly (or Createx) additive.

57 minutes ago, nachjager said:

You might be right on the intermix.  The one review of Createx 4030 on the HL web site says “Bought this product, its supposed to be a liquid, this was a solid rock. Have heard others saying the same.”  That fits.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Balancing-Mix-Additive/p/80793993

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Also just got back from HL with a bottle of 4012 and 4030.  Also picked up a bottle of 5618, the Createx airbrush cleaner.  MMP doesn’t sell a separate airbrush cleaner.  They say to use their thinner.

And they (Createx) sell multiple different reducers, the 4011 which apparently is a slower drying reducer. What's interesting to me is that if the products are the same..Createx says that one of their reducers, the "Wicked Reducer" is able to reduce the opacity of the paint without impacting adhesion qualities..

Makes me wonder, and I will find out when my shipment arrives, if that holds true for the MMP paint. These guys produce professional level acrylic paint for automotive applications, I can't imagine them risking their credibility on malarkey. 

• 1 month later...

Old thread, I know, but I had a bottle of the MM Poly that I'd purchased a few years back, and never used.  I finally decided to use it, and found the bottle to be rock solid, despite never having even removed the seal from the bottle.  I'm going to be using these paints going forward, and I hope this poly doesn't tend to go solid quickly.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I’ve stored my second bottle of MM poly in a toolbox so that is receives zero light when not in use.  I’ve had it for 6 months now and it’s viscosity is as good as the day I bought it.   

Steve

After having a bottle go bad I, too, store mine away from a direct light source.  I've had it/used it for over a year now, and so far so good.  

I don't like products that require special care, but I do like MM's poly as it seems to add strength to finishes.

Bought a second bottle from the LHS.  It lasted about 3 months and then turned into cottage cheese again.  Very annoying.  Have a project 1/2 done using MM paints with the poly, I'm not sure if I'll buy a 3rd bottle to finish off the kit.

Cameron

• 1 year later...

Poly as you know is createx 4030. I have kept mine at room temp and in the dark for a year and still good. Do not follow thd mm instructions and mix poly with mm thinner, it may gum up completely. Createx had discovered the problem of gelling when adding 4012 and 4030. They have discontinued 4012 probably for this reason. I discovered when i was following one of the “guides” on the web and mixed poly and thinner, it gummed up the airbrush. But when using the paint with either poly, either thinner alone, it worked really well. Then i experimented a bit. I added poly to the paint first, mixed, next added the thinner. Worked quite well ! These are the createx instructions btw…i hope that at some point the mm thinner had 4012 replaced by 4011, which theoretically solved the gelling problem in the mix. I use…4010/4030/poly/paint these days and keep the 4012/mm thinner to clean the airbrush. 15psi, 16C, H&S evolution 0,4mm fwiw. I have bottles of poly\4030 in the garage, office and cellar, 2 sealed as control group. Still good after > 1 year. The finish of the paint is quite strong. Reminds me of PolyS. And yes, chipping fluid (i used mig), works fine !

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 2:36 AM, Cameron Lynch said:

I received an email from Mission Models this afternoon.  Here is the email in total

"Hi Cameron

Ploy is a temperature sensitive product.  When it ships from our warehouse it is in perfect shape.   It can not be allowed to freeze or be exposed to high heat.  We also do not know how retailers handle the product once received.    There is nothing wrong with the product but some chemicals in the hobby or in industrial applications are temp sensitive like that of super glue and other resins.   

Sincerely

Mission models "

So basically they're saying that at some point between their warehouse and when I purchased it at the LHS it probably froze, and I'm out of luck.

Pretty much yes.

Once its sold its sold. What happens to it after that isnt their problem becuase it left them "working".

Cant say I blame them because from what I can tell they would be replacing hundreds of bottles of paint per year if they didnt anything more than tell you what your problem is.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dave Williams said:

Not sure I understand the supposed process.  It freezes, and then at some point later, after working fine for weeks or months, it just suddenly clumps up in a short period of time?  One would think it would either solidify right after freezing, or noticeably deteriorate over time, not just go belly up instantly at some random later time.

Pretty much yes.

Once its been shipped in something that was akin to cold then it seems susceptible to this problem.

Anything that has been shipped from their plant in the shade from the sun can be affected. If doesnt need to have been frozen, and when I say frozen I mean 0°C or less in the last few days or weeks to be affected either. Just sitting in a room between 18-20°C for weeks or months on end will do it.