ARC Discussion Forums

Cameron Lynch

Mission Models Polyeurethane Intermix gone bad?

After having one go solid I now keep it in a mini fridge. 

5 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

And the fridge is keep it liquified?

So far so good.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, tosouthern66 said:

I had the same issue with the bottle I had last summer. Lost the A/C for a few days. When I received my paints and went to use them I noticed two things. First the reducer smelled and felt the same as the Createx 4012 High Performance Reducer. Tested it out and had no issues. The Poly also seemed to be the same as Createx's 4030 Intercoat and Mix Additive. Tested that as well with no issues. So if you have a Hobby Lobby near by and do not want to order the MM stuff go get those items from Hobby Lobby. Don't forget to use the 40% off online coupon.

I have both the Createx  Intercoat 4030 and MM Polly additive and both are the same product. I also suspect the MM Thinner is just a  repackaged Createx 4012. And Createx product are way cheaper.

18 minutes ago, nachjager said:

I have both the Createx  Intercoat 4030 and MM Polly additive and both are the same product. I also suspect the MM Thinner is just a  repackaged Createx 4012. And Createx product are way cheaper.

I wonder if you check the MSDS  for those if you could tell if they are the same?

10 minutes ago, boom175 said:

I wonder if you check the MSDS  for those if you could tell if they are the same?

That would be a great way to compare both products, unfortunately the MM site does not provide a Safety Data Sheets for its products. I have both and can tell you they smell, look and act exactly the same way, I have sprayed MM paint with both and they behave the same way. Hell, I have even mixed MM with Future and the resulting finish is even better and smoother than using their poly (or Createx) additive.

57 minutes ago, nachjager said:

You might be right on the intermix.  The one review of Createx 4030 on the HL web site says “Bought this product, its supposed to be a liquid, this was a solid rock. Have heard others saying the same.”  That fits.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Balancing-Mix-Additive/p/80793993

I’ve stored my second bottle of MM poly in a toolbox so that is receives zero light when not in use.  I’ve had it for 6 months now and it’s viscosity is as good as the day I bought it.   

Steve

I bought some Createx 4012, their "Wicked Reducer" and some 4030 to test my MMP with for a paint comparison.  

Much cheaper solution

Also just got back from HL with a bottle of 4012 and 4030.  Also picked up a bottle of 5618, the Createx airbrush cleaner.  MMP doesn’t sell a separate airbrush cleaner.  They say to use their thinner.

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Also just got back from HL with a bottle of 4012 and 4030.  Also picked up a bottle of 5618, the Createx airbrush cleaner.  MMP doesn’t sell a separate airbrush cleaner.  They say to use their thinner.

And they (Createx) sell multiple different reducers, the 4011 which apparently is a slower drying reducer. What's interesting to me is that if the products are the same..Createx says that one of their reducers, the "Wicked Reducer" is able to reduce the opacity of the paint without impacting adhesion qualities..

Makes me wonder, and I will find out when my shipment arrives, if that holds true for the MMP paint. These guys produce professional level acrylic paint for automotive applications, I can't imagine them risking their credibility on malarkey. 

Old thread, I know, but I had a bottle of the MM Poly that I'd purchased a few years back, and never used.  I finally decided to use it, and found the bottle to be rock solid, despite never having even removed the seal from the bottle.  I'm going to be using these paints going forward, and I hope this poly doesn't tend to go solid quickly.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I’ve stored my second bottle of MM poly in a toolbox so that is receives zero light when not in use.  I’ve had it for 6 months now and it’s viscosity is as good as the day I bought it.   

Steve

After having a bottle go bad I, too, store mine away from a direct light source.  I've had it/used it for over a year now, and so far so good.  

I don't like products that require special care, but I do like MM's poly as it seems to add strength to finishes.

Bought a second bottle from the LHS.  It lasted about 3 months and then turned into cottage cheese again.  Very annoying.  Have a project 1/2 done using MM paints with the poly, I'm not sure if I'll buy a 3rd bottle to finish off the kit.

Cameron