CD48167 - 1/48 P-51H

@82Whitey51,   Andy,  Calm down.  We all make aircraft identification mistakes.  FLA ANG did indeed fly Hs, but those are still nice photos of Ds and the last one of Hs.  

@titan8251,  We all have our ANG state preferences.  I'm a NH guy.  So far, I am not having much luck getting my state's markings in decals other than Caracal 1/72 & 1/144 KC-135R and Draw Decal 1/72 & 1/144 C-124, plus a few kits (1/72 RS P-51H & 1/48 CollectAire F-86L).  So I am content to make my own.    

😂 me and Titan are ol' friends. Bustin' his chops.

Any info or best guesses for the colors of the markings on this one? The nose art would seem to be red or black - and are those Japanese kill marks under the canopy sill?

F-51H+RIS++44-64461,+62+FS+FG+McLaren+Co

Edited by KursadA

Usually kill markings for victories over Japanese aircraft were flags, either red hinomaru (sp?) on a white field or the naval "rising sun" flag. These may be German crosses or swastikas. Probably the assigned pilot's victory tally from the war.

Usually kill markings for victories over Japanese aircraft were flags, either red hinomaru (sp?) on a white field or the naval "rising sun" flag. These may be German crosses or swastikas. Probably the assigned pilot's victory tally from the war.

I don't think the H models saw action in the PTO, not even sure they saw action in the ETO, so they may not be kill markings of any kind.

I'm speaking of WW II action here....

I agree that these must be kill marks associated with the WWII record of the pilot - it would be nice to find out what they looked like up close. After more squinting, they look like German crosses to me and I might go with that.

#42-7947 - Republic P-47D-1-RE Thunderbolt
  Group Squadron Sq Code A/C Code
  56FG 62FS    
Name Ah'm Available
MIA 1943-10-10
Notes 7947 (56th FG, 62nd FS *Ah'm Available*) hit tractor on landing at Boreham, UK Oct 10, 1943. Pilot injured.
Source:

Joe Baugher US Aircraft Serial Numbers - http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/usafserials.html

Your search returned no Base records.

Your search returned no Photograph records.

http://www.8thafhs.com/search.php

• 1 month later...

What is on the kit decal sheet? I am almost done with the design - since I have accurate scale drawings I do not need the kit to send the artwork for printing, but I have been waiting to see the contents of the kit decal sheet. 

A bit late in the game but like many others here I'm looking forward to these decals.

I'm also voting for the Illinois bird to be added.

Maryland's 44-64573 was already on the old Talon decal sheet (so were a few others mentioned here):

gM54ogK.jpg

They did a good job but something's off with the nose art, zooming on the picture seems to show Elmer Fudd with the words "Bright Eyes"(?).

AU3wYKv.png

This is the Talon version:

ikZhy9K.png

Not quite right, I hope Caracal does better.

Edited by tourist
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any clear images of what the unit badge on the MD ANG aircraft looked like?

That small drawing on the nose is too small, and the photo is not clear enough to replicate it, I am afraid. I would rather depict a plain MD ANG aircraft without any nose art. I am almost done with the artwork, but need some help on the MD ANG unit badge.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Does anyone have any clear images of what the unit badge on the MD ANG aircraft looked like?

That small drawing on the nose is too small, and the photo is not clear enough to replicate it, I am afraid. I would rather depict a plain MD ANG aircraft without any nose art. I am almost done with the artwork, but need some help on the MD ANG unit badge.

which badge?

This one?

7ce2d0186ad6e4fde89860c540a7d098.jpg

if so there is a flight sim repaint bitmap that has a decent rendition as a base to work from:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/cpe8ipojmn2neea/p-51h_ MD ANG.bmp#

which also seems to be this one:

104th_Fighter_Squadron_-_Emblem.png

if not that one, can you provide a picture of the badge you are looking for?

Sean

Kursad, Here you go. Just delete the "104th TFS".  This comes from WAPJ  -The United States Air National Guard by Rene J. Fracillon, pg 129. R/ Dutch

Caracal.JPG.b72308844f867006bf58a4f07074c13e.JPG

Sean, that's odd. I didn't see your scan until mine populated.  Kursad, go with the coloring of Sean's scan; TFS label didn't come into use until 1960. 

Edited by Dutch

Folks, any idea what the wing markings of this aircraft looked like? Is there anything on it in the Ginter book?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zqdfnfje5zq7dc/4391493734_9e47a34876_o.jpg?dl=0

The MD ANG markings are done - I am still busy wrapping up the EF-111 sheet, but will give my full attention the P-51H sheet soon afterwards.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Folks, any idea what the wing markings of this aircraft looked like? Is there anything on it in the Ginter book?

You may have seen this page, same photo plus another, and two more similar aircraft (one in color). 

http://silverhawkauthor.com/warplanes-of-the-second-world-war-preserved-in-the-united-states-of-america-north-american-p51d-mustang_651.html    (Scroll about halfway down)

as Slart mentioned, only the lower wing surfaces are visible and devoid of any markings.