ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
KursadA

CD48167 - 1/48 P-51H

Any chance for a 138th NY ANG P/F-51H out of Syracuse, NY on a future decal sheet? That would make this "Boys from Syracuse" fan rather happy! 

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

The Ginter book on the P/F-51H may have a photo in IA ANG markings...

No mention of Iowa National Guard operating F-51H in the book.

The Modelsvit 1/48 model of the P-51H is now available for pre-order at Hobby Search Japan. Scheduled release in December 2019, pre-order price 5610 Yen (RRP 7260 Yen). They even got some sprue shots for the rivet counters 😉

@82Whitey51,   Andy,  Calm down.  We all make aircraft identification mistakes.  FLA ANG did indeed fly Hs, but those are still nice photos of Ds and the last one of Hs.  

@titan8251,  We all have our ANG state preferences.  I'm a NH guy.  So far, I am not having much luck getting my state's markings in decals other than Caracal 1/72 & 1/144 KC-135R and Draw Decal 1/72 & 1/144 C-124, plus a few kits (1/72 RS P-51H & 1/48 CollectAire F-86L).  So I am content to make my own.    

😂 me and Titan are ol' friends. Bustin' his chops.

Any info or best guesses for the colors of the markings on this one? The nose art would seem to be red or black - and are those Japanese kill marks under the canopy sill?

F-51H+RIS++44-64461,+62+FS+FG+McLaren+Co

Edited by KursadA

Any info or best guesses for the colors of the markings on this one? The nose art would seem to be red or black - and are those Japanese kill marks under the canopy sill?

F-51H+RIS++44-64461,+62+FS+FG+McLaren+Co

I found this drawing.

uNqthL.jpg

Usually kill markings for victories over Japanese aircraft were flags, either red hinomaru (sp?) on a white field or the naval "rising sun" flag. These may be German crosses or swastikas. Probably the assigned pilot's victory tally from the war.

I see the profile shows yellow stripes on the wing.  Any possibility that the stripes could be hi viz orange or red?

Usually kill markings for victories over Japanese aircraft were flags, either red hinomaru (sp?) on a white field or the naval "rising sun" flag. These may be German crosses or swastikas. Probably the assigned pilot's victory tally from the war.

I don't think the H models saw action in the PTO, not even sure they saw action in the ETO, so they may not be kill markings of any kind.

I'm speaking of WW II action here....

No. The P-51H did not see action in the war. But the pilot of "Ah'm Available" may have

I agree that these must be kill marks associated with the WWII record of the pilot - it would be nice to find out what they looked like up close. After more squinting, they look like German crosses to me and I might go with that.

#42-7947 - Republic P-47D-1-RE Thunderbolt
  Group Squadron Sq Code A/C Code
  56FG 62FS    
Name Ah'm Available
MIA 1943-10-10
Notes 7947 (56th FG, 62nd FS *Ah'm Available*) hit tractor on landing at Boreham, UK Oct 10, 1943. Pilot injured.
Source:

Joe Baugher US Aircraft Serial Numbers - http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/usafserials.html

Your search returned no Base records.

Your search returned no Photograph records.

http://www.8thafhs.com/search.php