Beriev R-1 Jet flying boat - 1/72 scale resin kit from ABM

It isn't the best model I have ever made - but I'm calling it finished.....

The ABM resin kit of the Beriev R-1......

Beriev%2033.jpg

Powered by 2 X Klimov RD-45 (RR Nene copy) turbojets, it was Beriev's first attempt at a jet flying boat.

Beriev%2034.jpg

The Beriev OKB had lots of trouble getting the R-1 to become airborne - suction formed under the planing step and it took a long time

to cure the problem............

Beriev%2035.jpg

Making it's first flight in 1952, only a single R-1 was built and the project was terminated in 1956..

Beriev%2038.jpg

This is a superb resin kit from newcomer ABM - but due to my failing eyesight and fat fingers, I haven't done it justice.

The beaching gear is scratchbuilt.

Beriev%2040.jpg

The R-1 next to its slighly more successful big brother - the Beriev Be-10....

Beriev%2042.jpg

More photos here.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RKic said:

I'm not familiar with the kit. What did you think of it?

It's a  collaborative venture between developer Y. Berbenitskiy, resin casters Prop & Jet and various other designers, with the decals being printed by Begemot.

It is extremely well cast with no hint of any air bubbles - with a fully detailed interior.

It went together very well - the only trouble I had was the seams between the front cowling and the nacelle on the wing - which required some sanding down to eliminate the joint - probably my fault for not lining them up properly.

The decals are superb and went on without any fuss and no hint of silvering.

The canopy and rear sighting blisters are vacforms - another area that might cause problems (I messed up one of the sighting blisters) - although two sets are provided.

All in all a well designed and presented package - although a bit expensive.

It is only available by mail order from Ireland - and can be purchased by contacting the developer at:- abmrarity@gmail.com

Ken