RIP Lt Col Richard "Dick" Cole

I had the honor to meet him and shake his hand this last December at my son’s graduation from Air Force basic training. His squadron was The Raiders, named for the Doolittle Raiders.  They were honored to have Lt. Col. Cole attend their graduation and speak for a few minutes afterwards.   Fair skies and tailwinds Lt. Col. Cole.

I never had the chance to meet him.  When I saw the thread, at first I thought that it was about another Cole that I worked for, back in the 5th F.I.S., during our transition into the F-15, Col. Cole, who was a mig killer during Vietnam.

10 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I had the fortune of meeting him at a CAF event in Kansas City. We threw him a 100th birthday party. I quickly built and painted a wing from an Accurate Miniatures B-25 and had him sign it. Now I have to build the rest of it.

Darren,

Amazing story!  I wish I had thought of stuff like that.  Yes, Lt Col Cole had amazing courage to train for and fly a "suicide" mission.  Rest in peace, sir!

R/

Dutch