Canopies turning cactus over years

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. If I dip my canopy in Pledge One Go, after a year or 2, it almost has this sticky residue/film on it. It's very strange but I can't get it off with water or a rag and it accumulates dust and really ruins the build.

I'm wondering if it's a canopy dip specific problem or if it affects canopies in general.

Attached image as an example of what I'm talking about.

Capture.JPG

If it's future, have you tried Windex? I had a reaction apparently like that right when I removed the masking tape after I was done with flat coating the model. Windex helped, but didn't eliminate the issue (it's still "rough").

This doesn't really help you now but I stopped dipping canopies in Future several builds ago.  I used Novus for many builds and recently switched to Tamiya Polishing Compound.  Canopies are crystal clear. Future dipping has become totally unnecessary now.

Thanks for the input guys, it's a real shame, I've had this happen to just about all of my canopies. 

I don't smoke, but models are kind of near the kitchen and my apartment is rather small. You might be right there regarding oils floating through the air. 

I've also stopped dipping, polishing enough eliminates the need.

Interesting, I'll try WD-40 and windex. Cheers gents :)  

On 4/10/2019 at 11:48 AM, Jonathan S said:

I'd use WD40 first. 

Both WD40 and Goo Gone contain petroleum distillates but Goo Gone makes a formula specifically for removing sticky adhesives. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

Try Goo Gone.  There are several other "look-alikes", such as label removers, etc. but they do not work as well for this. I use it to remove masking residue, etc. and it won't hurt the plastic.

Ed

Ed (or anyone else who might know),

I've used Goo Gone in the past to remove tape or Bare Metal Foil residue from canopies, but does anyone know if it'll harm enamel paint?  I have some canopies similar to Keroburner's but I've been hesitant to try the Goo Gone trick out of fear of it harming the surrounding enamel paint where some of the tape/foil residue is located.

Eric

Edited by echolmberg
Extra description for clarification.

Doesn't seem to bother either Alclad II or Colourcoats or Model Master enamels -- can't speak for anything else.  I usually mask canopies with either Tamiya tape or Parafilm "M", and I use the Goo Gone for removing residue.

Ed

Wouldn't there be a general consensus here on the notion that future ain't what it used to be?..........they've changed or tweaked its formula such that it behaves differently now. Sadly it's not the same product anymore!

• 3 weeks later...

I had an entire bottle of it turn yellow on me a couple of years ago. I doubt that I had even used 1/2 oz of it. It was not exposed to heat, or the sun. Made me worry about what would happen if I had used it on some canopies.

Chris