F-8E check pylon colour? Single or y-rack

3 hours ago, airmechaja said:

I have a close up pic from the Squadron Walk Around book and the Y adapter and LAU-7 rails are white.:thumbsup:

Any of the single missile rails?

Edited by dan

I'm doing a 1967 VF-211 F-8E, in the photos here the y racks seem white but as you guys have pointed out some colour photos show them as grey or is it just the photo quality or light etc?

http://vf-211.my-personal.org

Comparing the shade of the sidewinder (which we know is white) with the rails in black and white photos makes some seem clearly white and others grey. The angle of light on to the pylon makes a difference to.

Edited by dan

If I may;

The pylon's (adapters) would be grey and the launchers would be white.

Reasoning: The launchers are not aircraft specific (i.e. restricted to a certain aircraft type) so they would be painted in the most common camouflage color it would be next to, white. The adapters (Y Racks and single launcher adapters) were aircraft specific so they would be painted in the surrounding camouflage color of the aircraft.

Bear in mind, neither the launchers or the adapters (basically, all of the ordnance gear except the guns) were "owned" by the squadron, they were really owned by the Intermediate Level Maintenance activity (i.e. AIMD) and "loaned" to the squadron. The gear was turned in on regular intervals and the squadron is issued a different piece of gear, thus the reason why they were not painted to the aircraft specific camouflage scheme.

Were there variations, yes, but norm was white launchers and grey pylons/adapters.

Just my .$02, ymmv

In addition to above both Zuni launchers in the pic i posted are white, or originally were, the lower one looks to have more firings along with more handling and thus is more weathered.

edit: if you want a change of pace you can go 1 Y rack and 1 single rail:

f8ucrusaderdanang.jpg

Jari

Edited by Finn
23 hours ago, picknpluck said:

The LAU-7 and Y rack are clearly white in this pic

4DUiSwh.jpg

This picture is from the early 60's, they are still using ropes to tie down aircraft.

What time frame are we talking, I was thinking Vietnam (65) and later.

Cheer for the photos and info guys. Given the fact there is some variation I think the default is grey adaptors and white rails unless photos of the specific aircraft suggest otherwise. So in the case of VF -211 in 1967 it will be all white y-racks.

http://vf-211.my-personal.org/scan0018.JPG

http://vf-211.my-personal.org/scan0019.JPG

Edited by dan