Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself ...

After posting the following over on the Test Post Clubhouse, I thought maybe I should post it here as well:

Hello everybody.  My story is, I'm sure,  a familiar one;  I recently got back into scale modeling after an absence of several decades (5).  I'm of the opinion that, like many other things, building models is more fun when you are doing it with other kids 😉.  As a youngster I slapped them together out-of-the-box, put on the decals and voila!  I'm at the same skill level as then, more or less, except now I also paint them as well as I can.  I'm looking forward to learning from you all, e.g. painting, filling seams, etc., and to  sharing some builds.  Being brand-new to the whole painting thing, I'll certainly have some questions on the topic going forward.  My main interest is aircraft, but I've also done a ship since getting back in, and plan to do a little armor and a car or two along the way.  As for aircraft, my areas of interest are WWII and the Vietnam era, with a bit of the Korean conflict thrown in, and I'm attracted largely to Navy subjects (U.S. and Japan), though I have built a P-40E (AVG) since my return to the hobby.

Like I wrote in my first test post, happy to be here 😀.

Hey there! Painting today is a bit different from several decades ago where there were only the Testors, Humbrol, and Pactra enamels and the PollyScale water soluble paints.
The current profusion of acrylic model paints is a good thing. Acrylic lacquers are a thing now too.
Are at least five different seam filling products, that's how many I know of, and expect there are more.
And then there are the aftermarket accessories in cast resin, cast metal, photo-etch metal, and now in 3D printing too, man, these are the days!
Many more companies making decals now.
And the plastic molding technology has advanced too.
Yeah, this is a good time to be a modeler.

Edited by southwestforests
15 hours ago, SBDguy said:

Well, I have been around for a long, long years ... 

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

:whistle:

On 4/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, SBDguy said:

Being brand-new to the whole painting thing, I'll certainly have some questions on the topic going forward.

Seriously now, Welcome! Glad to see another returnee to the hobby. One thing I will recommend right off is, if you are serious about wanting to learn about painting models, get yourself a decent airbrush and compressor. It is a bit of an investment, i.e. not cheap, but it will up your game immeasurably, and the sooner you get started with it, the sooner you will learn how to master what you need to know about paints, thinning, spraying, etc. I got my first airbrush when I was in high school (that was about 500 years ago) and was amazed at what could be done even back then (1960's actually).

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Old saying, "ask a question and you are a fool for a minute, don't ask a question and you are a fool forever".

Again, welcome!