4 hours ago, mppd@yahoo.com said:

Just curious if you are going to show the weapons bay doors open? This area is where I have been spending most of my time, as it needs so much more detail work. The bay area piece provided is not even close to what it looked like. Please continue your fine work...I can only hope to have mine look half as good! I can probably answer most detail questions on the deuce for you folks.

This one will have the bay doors closed.

But I'm working in parallel on other two Deuces one will be a Wisconsin Ang bird  (56-1428 "02" also from WT 1972) and another a Pennsylvania one (not decided which in paricular jet).

My intention is to have one with the opened door and I know this would be really demanding. But my idea was to use the Eduard PE set without going too deep with other details.

I'm happy to have an expert of the subject here who can help me and the community.

Giovanni 

On 8/21/2020 at 7:57 AM, kurnass77 said:

Wow Giovanni,

as another 72nd guy I appreciate,love and respect all the job done!

Lovely!

Gianni

Thank You Gianni!

Today's update:

The cockpit is now complete of all bits:

gSVtXgn.jpg

tnaie8q.jpg

I've been working a little on the front wheel compartment:

br0Q0Fo.jpg

JhkzgYI.jpg

Here some comparative pictures to what the kit offers and after the main color:

cN3rz4E.jpg

5KLIsw8.jpg

lXn3l6P.jpg

Probably doesn't justify all the efforts since very few remains visible once installed into fuselage:

z5LvQPr.jpg

ZCYNjbF.jpg

And finally the cockpit installed too:

RS47IG3.jpg

And temporally completed with the ejection seat wich will be definitively placed later:

HJ6IRpx.jpg

8T8Vi1C.jpg

97ZOSpZ.jpg

Bye and thanks for watching

Giovanni

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, Giovanni said:

This is a picture of the subject I'm working on s/n 56-1419 year is 1972, PLEASE HELP NEEDED: I'm looking for good pictures of the left side

QzCgeyS.jpg

Hello gents,

to be so slow in modelling as I am sometimes takes its advantages.

I was looking for a left side view of the subject and finally I found one.

Of course I'm not the owner and I hope not to offend posting it here.

Now just the inscription inside the black rectangular plate on the front wheel door remains a mistery. This was used to mention crew chief and pilot names.

If you may help thank you!

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
14 hours ago, cruiz said:

Hello Giovanni

There was a change in the forums recently; now you have to use the "direct link" option of IMGUR to post pictures.

Regards

Carlos

Hj7KKpz.jpg

Thank You cruiz! Here's the picture.

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni

Hello,

so I post a little update.

The wing pylons in the kit (in the background)  are too long so I made new ones:

0AT3Zbf.jpg

P56E1mz.jpg

on7Zr08.jpg

Ok it's time to finish this project.

Not much remains so stay tuned.

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello dear modellers,

very slowly but never stopping....

The wing tanks in the Meng kit are pretty good but I felt they needed to be more stright and pointy at the back. Here a picture of the kit tank:

ezcg0UP.jpg

So I've cut the rears added a styrene section and started sanding:

hiVO8Fe.jpg

After the treatment they looked better. Still the shape isn't rended perfectly but It's ok to me.

Ec79LFQ.jpg

A very good althernative solution is to scavenge the subsonic drop tanks from the Meng F-106a kit (wich provide both the types -subsonic and supersonic- and just add the winglets).

Then I switched to the canopy which is a very delicate part in a model and usally is the very last think I do with the disadvantage of being tired from the long build.

So I decided to complete it now since I'm still...ehm....fresh!?

So I added some interior details mainly styrene stripes:

y9LfOjm.jpg

The rear part is provided into the Pavla resin kit so I've just adapted it to couple with my own detail.

After a carefull masking (one mask for the inside and two masks for the outside) painting and oil washing here's the part:

8qRDPRu.jpg

BBZkRMZ.jpg

4MBgSMX.jpg

XRGuP9r.jpg

Stay tuned more will come...

Bye

Giovanni

On 11/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, mppd@yahoo.com said:

Very, very nice work.

Thank You!

Today's mini update:

The emergency arrestor hook in the Meng kit simply doesn't have an hook at its edge!

My solution was to sculpt the hook and add the two side fins without scratching an entire new one:

DwGGNWM.jpg

Here's the result:

Ez47Za8.jpg

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni

Giovanni, You have an exceptional eye for detail!  Beautiful work thus far.  I am impressed.  I have the same kit to make into a Case XX wing aircraft of the 134th FIS, Vermont ANG, so I am taking notes and follwoing your progress carefully, though I do not possess your skill level yet.  I encourage you to keep making progress.  Kind regards, Dutch  

Edited by Dutch
On 12/6/2020 at 10:58 PM, Dutch said:

Giovanni, You have an exceptional eye for detail!  Beautiful work thus far.  I am impressed.  I have the same kit to make into a Case XX wing aircraft of the 134th FIS, Vermont ANG, so Iam taking notes and follwoing your progress carefully, though I do not possess your skill level yet.  Iencourage you to keep making progress.  Kind regards, Dutch  

Hello Dutch thank You for nice comment and encouragement!

Vermont Ang had a very smart livery on their deuces. It would be nice to see it on a model!

As a side note I can say that at the Tyndall William Tell 1972 edition there were three teams competing in the f-102 category: 57th Fis from Keflavyk Iceand (case XX my model represents one of them), 176th FIS from Truax Field Wisconsin (case X, my second choice, I'm already working at it at a different stage) and the Burlington's "Green Montain Boys" you have just mentioned.

It would be a dream to have them virtually joined once again so don't delay your project!

And I'll be more than happy to give contribution with references. PM me in case you'll need.

Also may I also suggest to procure these sets?:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/1-72-EXTERIOR-resin-detail-set-for-Meng-F-102a-Dagger-Convair-DS-003-DS-005/193724143005?hash=item2d1adbd59d:g:ivoAAOSwECtflbj4

https://www.ebay.it/itm/1-72-INTERIOR-resin-detail-set-for-Meng-F-102a-Dagger-Convair-DS-003-DS-005/193724179750?hash=item2d1adc6526:g:oEUAAOSw7Sxfldn3

Well I'm the producer so If You ask me I can combine a better price if you'll contact me directly.

But now the update.

I've been working at the small bits to have them all ready once the model will be finally painted so starting from the front wheel door, I've erased the kit detail and added some new one:

rUnYNAU.jpg

B9GJtgm.jpg

4n8ZNYX.jpg

And then gave some attentions also to the undercarriage legs. I've used the Reskit kit for the main wheels. These are becoming a must for me as well as Master's pitot tubes.

ne2gVUJ.jpg

I've painted the main elements with AK Extreme Metal aluminium:

q6LSok2.jpg

LjJAXeh.jpg

sHyzTeE.jpg

After an oil wash and a light coat of flat transparent:

C94Jii0.jpg

The wheel wells doors washed and painted:

XHWXQRH.jpg

Particularly proud of the front door with my extra details:

HyfaDfr.jpg

9XdXL3C.jpg

Not much remains in terms of small details, just some antenna the pitot etc.

So the kit is now ready for the next important step: the painting process

So keep following!

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
On 11/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, Giovanni said:

4MBgSMX.jpg

Hello Giovanni!

Very nice work so far but, there is something that I would like to notice. The insulation (yellow line) should be from the inside, as in most aircrafts is.

What do you think?

Hello Sernak,

yes You're right this aircraft was no exception with the yellow sealant on the interior side or more precisely between the frame and the glass that was bolted on it.

But I thought and still I think that the one presented is the most realistic way to render the sealant.

This because the canopy thickness does not allow to get the right aspect ratio painting it from the interior. 

The best and only way should be to replace the kit canopy with a thin vacuum-formed one.

The second advantage to paint the canopy as I did is that looking from the interior you get the impression the glass has no depth. (the glass thickness disappears).

I know this is a compromise but the best one in my opinion.

Thank You for writing it's always nice to exchange opinions. And it would be interesting to hear what other guys think about this.

So don't be shy!

Giovanni

1 hour ago, Giovanni said:

Hello Sernak,

yes You're right this aircraft was no exception with the yellow sealant on the interior side or more precisely between the frame and the glass that was bolted on it.

But I thought and still I think that the one presented is the most realistic way to render the sealant.

This because the canopy thickness does not allow to get the right aspect ratio painting it from the interior. 

The best and only way should be to replace the kit canopy with a thin vacuum-formed one.

The second advantage to paint the canopy as I did is that looking from the interior you get the impression the glass has no depth. (the glass thickness disappears).

I know this is a compromise but the best one in my opinion.

Thank You for writing it's always nice to exchange opinions. And it would be interesting to hear what other guys think about this.

So don't be shy!

Giovanni

I think it's a good compromise.  Beautiful work so far.

16 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Good point Giovanni. In any scale the thickness of the transparent parts is an issue, when someone wants to represent the insulation.

Personally, I used to represent this details with thin stripes of decals but, lately if I can find a decent vacuform canopy I will buy it and replace the kit's parts and thus, add the specific detail, which is a very nice one, particularly as it ages, because the colour it has changes.

I think the early F-18s used to have one that had a copper hue.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, Giovanni said:

As a side note I can say that at the Tyndall William Tell 1972 edition there were three teams competing in the f-102 category: 57th Fis from Keflavyk Iceand (case XX my model represents one of them), 176th FIS from Truax Field Wisconsin (case X, my second choice, I'm already working at it at a different stage) and the Burlington's "Green Montain Boys" you have just mentioned.

It would be a dream to have them virtually joined once again so don't delay your project!

Hello,

you can see the three teams here:

wvQtTF8.jpg

Hi modelers,

I'm here with a little update.

I'm following an unconventional pattern for my build preparing all the elements that will be attached to the airframe before the painting process will be completed on it so after the landing gear...

...was the turn of pylons and auxiliary tanks. Here I've finally placed my custom decals first the black silhouette (laser printed) and the afterburner flame (from the Microscale 72-108 sheet):

j6ORjZs.jpg

Then, after a second layer of gloss varnish, checkboarded fin and knight's shield (laser printed on white decal film and cutout):

USfe6yF.jpg

Don't mind the too clean appearance: still I have to do the oil wash. Also some other little stenciling is missing so the surface is also very glossy.

Then I prepared the airbrakes, the inner side here just missing some drybrushing:

hj7F4Mu.jpg

And the outer side again without any weathering (the idea is to do the oilwash/panel enhancing/weathering later toghether with all the other elemens and the fuselage):

77Xbmis.jpg

Pylons and speedbrakes are resin copies from my original masters now offered with other details under the label "Monster Joe's - genuine airplane parts":

VKLLJ4Z.jpg

To conclude after ceckhing the fit with fuselage was ok I decided to prepare also the nosecone. This also is a revised part that had been casted. The pitot tube is from Master company. Was a tricky job to get it well painted:

42GkSOa.jpg

rSeaSvz.jpg

G1eMS4Y.jpg

But it came out nice and I'm very happy also with the shape!

Winter holiday'a are very close meaning some extra time to conclude the project!

Bye

Giovanni

On 12/23/2020 at 5:27 PM, Mr.Happy said:

Giovanni,

Outstanding work‼️😳👍😎

I wonder if you added some JP-4 or 5 jet fuel your bird would fly. 😊

Have a Merry Christmas.

Be safe,

Mr. Happy

Thank You Mr Happy for the kind words!

Merry Christmas to You! and to all the community!

I made some missing decals to complete the tanks:

juqCc42.jpg

Then some others for the wheel well door:

KNmewsX.jpg

IjLs8oi.jpg

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni

Hello modelers!

My little update:

I worked on the air intakes painting the interior first in white FS17875 then masked and painted the splitter plates and lips in steel from the AK extreme color range.

After all was dry I placed two custom made decals (laser printed on white decal film and cut out). I used the microscale softeners on them and when all was set and after washing the part in water I finally sprayed a layer of Mr Color Gloss GX100.

The parts are delicate, I know, so every care will be used while masking.

I really want to avoid any varnish from ripping so finger crossed!

To conclude I glued the parts to the fuselage.

The fit is ok but some sanding is necessary so here again some extreme care is needed not to damage the paint.

For the moment that's all

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni