Lambda Class Shuttle

Let me start this by saying, this kit is huge.  This is a kit that Ban Dai needs to make in 1:72.  When I first opened the kit I planned on building it as the Tydirium but now I think I will have to look into other schemes.  That is just to much gray.

46868478554_e18217cba0_o.pnglcs01 by Hal Elsberry, on Flickr

Admiralcag, I like building these old MPC kits because there aren't many parts and the detail is good as it is or it is a good start for those who like to add a lot more detail, but you are right the fit isn't always the greatest.  The cockpit is together but I am not going to paint it because I will black out the canopy.  I put the pilots in just because it will be an in flight display and I do not like it when something is flying with no pilots.

47561698922_a276aacd78_o.jpglcs02 by Hal Elsberry, on Flickr

The vertical fin is huge and there is a big gap running around the entire thing.  I have added some bits and pieces to gizmo it up some.  The wings have a similar problem but I am going to leave them as is.

47614600281_dea77c204f_o.jpglcs03 by Hal Elsberry, on Flickr

Then this is where it went down hill very quickly.  Trying to get the center section together with the two huge wings that are meant to be movable and add the top is a feat that should be done with at least three hands.  The fit around the areas that are supposed to swivel is also bad.  I always meant to build this with the wings in the flight mode so I wish I would have just epoxied each of the wings in position and then added the top.  I did not do this.  I did it the hard way of course...

47561698892_e5ce5903ee_o.jpglcs04 by Hal Elsberry, on Flickr

I have applied a liberal amount of putty so I guess my next couple of modelling sessions will include a lot of sanding.

Els

20 hours ago, Els said:

Admiralcag, I like building these old MPC kits because there aren't many parts and the detail is good as it is or it is a good start for those who like to add a lot more detail, but you are right the fit isn't always the greatest.  The cockpit is together but I am not going to paint it because I will black out the canopy.  I put the pilots in just because it will be an in flight display and I do not like it when something is flying with no pilots.

No worries. When I built mine, it seemed impervious to all but the hottest glues.

20 hours ago, Els said:

Then this is where it went down hill very quickly.  Trying to get the center section together with the two huge wings that are meant to be movable and add the top is a feat that should be done with at least three hands.  The fit around the areas that are supposed to swivel is also bad.  I always meant to build this with the wings in the flight mode so I wish I would have just epoxied each of the wings in position and then added the top.  I did not do this.  I did it the hard way of course...

47561698892_e5ce5903ee_o.jpg

I have applied a liberal amount of putty so I guess my next couple of modelling sessions will include a lot of sanding.

Els

This is what I was talking about! This seam has stalled out my build.

Vern

Admiralcag, you are not kidding about this seam.  Here it is primed and I am on my third round of putty/sand on those seams.  It is getting closer.

46938083054_24cb0525d5_o.pnglcs05 by Hal Elsberry, on Flickr

I am still not sure what to do with the paint though.  It is just to big to paint gray.  I have been looking at Star Wars lore for battles that the Empire either won or claimed to win to do as an anniversary image on the huge vertical fin.  I have also been looking at these "The Empire wants you" recruiting posters that people on line make.  Maybe it could be a travelling recruitment tool like our Armed Forces use.  I was also thinking of red or black for a shuttle for the Emperor or Vader but the same problem, to much of one color.

Maybe I will start another kit while I think about it.

Els

3 hours ago, Els said:

A

m still not sure what to do with the paint though.  It is just to big to paint gray.  I have been looking at Star Wars lore for battles that the Empire either won or claimed to win to do as an anniversary image on the huge vertical fin.  I have also been looking at these "The Empire wants you" recruiting posters that people on line make.  Maybe it could be a travelling recruitment tool like our Armed Forces use.  I was also thinking of red or black for a shuttle for the Emperor or Vader but the same problem, to much of one color.

Maybe I will start another kit while I think about it.

Els

Hey, it IS the That ain't real Group build. Go for the silliness.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, Els said:

I am still not sure what to do with the paint though.

Spend a hundred and twenty dollars on multiple sets of 1/48 SAAB 37 Viggen splinter cammo paint masks and change the colors from greens to something suitable for a desert planet.

Or ...

The green theme could be run with and it could be painted as if it were a K'tinga or Bird of Prey.

Edited by southwestforests

Southwestforests, I like the thought of a camo'd up shuttle but since I quit my job last week due to an overload of BS I don't think $120 was in the cards.  I wish you had posted the idea about a Bird of Prey earlier because I want to build one of those now.  Hopefully Ban Dai will release this in a scale that is more manageable because I need one of those on the contest table to shake up the Star Trek/Star Wars fans.

The kit is finished and I will post some pictures in the completed section.  I went with the recruiting drive shuttle.  I found a cool picture of a Tie Fighter pilot on line and made a huge decal for the vertical fin (How many time must I print a decal for the opposite side and forget to mirror the image????)  The original image is a full body picture but I only used the top portion of the pilot.  I tried to find out who did the original art to give some credit but even though this image is on several sites there is no info on the artists.  Sorry.  I added the "Join the team and Imperial Navy" verbage and I know it should be in Aurabesh but when I first did the decals I used the Aurabesh, but I felt like it made no sense.  Unless you are a super nerd and can read the stuff you would not understand why a Tie pilot was on a shuttle.  Hey its the "That ain't real" group build isn't it? 

I don't know where I will put it but I am happy with the outcome.  This is a kit that I have had in my stash for more than a decade and I am pretty sure it would have never been built without this group build.

Thanks for following along.

Els