B-52 RESIN....B-52 RESIN...someone wants inputs!

http://barracudacals.com/

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Company/Barracuda-Studios-317557141608943/

I spoke to this guy yesterday at the Seattle IPMS. I asked if he would have any interest in doing an antennae suite for

the MC B-52 kit heck even for the AMT kit. He sounded interested especially when he asked how are the wheels and Engines. I said all that could be need improvements. Also I asked weapons pylons/LITNING pod etc. He is looking for references, so please everyone here let him know we are interested and find references for him. If you have his B-1 stuff then know the quality is awsome. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I were going to put the kind of effort into building a B-52 that it would take, even with all kinds of nifty resin bits, I'd start with a Monogram kit.  The MC kit is a complete waste of styrene from the tip of the radome to the tip of the tail, and from one wing tip to the other.  A complete waste.

5 hours ago, Sleepy said:

If I were going to put the kind of effort into building a B-52 that it would take, even with all kinds of nifty resin bits, I'd start with a Monogram kit.  The MC kit is a complete waste of styrene from the tip of the radome to the tip of the tail, and from one wing tip to the other.  A complete waste.

Interesting take, thanks for the input.....

While I wouldn’t label Paul a huge MC Buff fanboy, I would however say he’s a good modeler and apparently climbed the modeling Mt. Everest, by your estimation and achieved very good results with his MC build.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:05 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Here's my finished MC B-52H. I used the Caracal sheet instead of the kit decals. Added antennas, pitots, beacons, etc. In my FSM review, I'll point out all the errors I (and others) have found. The article in the FSM book coming later will go into detail on some of the fixes and additions that I made. Some problems can't be solved out of the box, so I'm counting on the aftermarket folks. To the non-obsessive folks, this looks just fine:

B-52Hweb1_zps3ve68xi2.jpg

B-52Hweb2_zpstz333vgv.jpg

B-52Hweb3_zpsdjgqufsm.jpg

And I replied with these couple of posts:

Wow! Thanks for posting this photo. The pylon shapes are completely different. The tanks appear to be roughly the same size, though the BM looks to be narrower and more cylindrical.  I  believe that the real McCoy is more cylindrical in shape ala the DB & BM castings.  The pylons will have to be adjusted for accuracy.  I have been browsing the web for B-52G/H winttip tank photos and have come across several for comparison purposes.  This webpage is of particular interest. https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/boeing-b-52h-stratofortress/

001. B-52H 61-0023 circa 10 Jan 1964.

001.JPG

002. B-52G 58-0184 416th BW, Griffiss AFB, 1990?

002.JPG

Edited 3 hours ago by Dutch

003.  B-52H 61-0007 immediately after rework at Tinker AFB, OK.  

003.JPG

005.  B-52G 57-6498 ALCM test aircraft with orange tip tanks.

005.JPG

Edited 3 hours ago by Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Based on tank shape and dimensions and pylon shape (LE/TE taper), my best guess is that the DB tanks look to be the best of the bunch followed closely by the AMT/ERTL tanks.  While I feel that the Buff Master tank shape is good, the pylon shape is off.  Likewise, the MC kit tank shape is incorrect and the pylon LE/TE taper is incorrect.  I welcome comments.

Edited by Dutch
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Based on tank shape and dimensions and pylon shape (LE/TE taper), my best guess is that the DB tanks look to be the best of the bunch followed closely by the AMT/ERTL tanks.  While I feel that the Buff Master tank shape is good, the pylon shape is off.  Likewise, the MC kit tank shape is incorrect and the pylon LE/TE taper is incorrect.  I welcome comments.

Hey Dutch, check these pics out. I think this might be what MC saw when they drew the CAD for the tanks. Check out that dip in the upper tank surface just about fwd-mid pylon. 

Flt7Al.jpg

ByboUX.jpg