A visit to the USAF Museum in Dayton OH

Really nice photos. That RF-86 with the bulges is one of the weirdest things I've seen. Looks like it has some sort of cysts on it, some weird growth. What are the bulges for?

The RF-86 had to fit in some bulky cameras (3 I think) and to do that they needed to yank out the guns and somehow cut open the sides of the fuselage.  Those bulges are fairing over the cameras. 

In another part of the museum, the b-36 had its camera pack out - its the size of a VW beetle but could clearly photograph something like a golf ball at 50,000 feet.  It would have been cool to see some of the photos it took.

CorsairMan,

Compliments on a nice article & photos.  I bookmarked your site for further poking around. 🙂

I live less than 50 miles from Wright-Pat, and have gone to the museum from time-to-time for a good part of my life, both this version and the earlier one (my first trip there was Back in 1960 at age 11, and I'm getting ready spto go again soon).  Photography inside the hangers has always been a maddening proposition;  I don't remember the details exactly, but the story goes that, many years ago, someone from the Disney organization, after touring the museum with the director, suggested that subdued lighting would enhance the dramatic effect of the exhibits.  And we've been living with it ever since ...

Cheers

Edited by SBDguy
correct grammar
8 minutes ago, SBDguy said:

CorsairMan,

Compliments on a nice article & photos.  I bookmarked your site for further poking around. 🙂

I live less than 50 miles from Wright-Pat, and have gone to the museum from time-to-time for a good part of my life, both this version and the earlier one (my first trip there was Back in 1960 at age 11, and I'm getting ready to ready to go again soon).  Photography inside the hangers has always been a maddening proposition;  I don't remember the details exactly, but the story goes that, many years ago, someone from the Disney organization, after touring the museum with the director, suggested that subdued lighting would enhance the dramatic effect of the exhibits.  And we've been living with it ever since ...

Cheers

I was told by a Docent that the lights they had installed were damaging the aircraft. UV light and what not. They have been going through and converting to LED so many of the displays are now MUCH brighter than they were a few years ago!!

Sean

44 minutes ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

I was told by a Docent that the lights they had installed were damaging the aircraft. UV light and what not. They have been going through and converting to LED so many of the displays are now MUCH brighter than they were a few years ago!!

Thanks for the good news!  I haven't been there for several years, so this trip will be extra-interesting - I just might start taking my camera there again 😊.  Worth a try, anyway.  (I'll be making my first pilgrimage to the Memphis Belle.)