Academy 1/144 B-1B Lancer #12620 - New Mold Kit Release

I updated the cans since I now have the kit and the first prints.  I shortened the feathers by about 1.5 mm and deepened the throat for a deeper burner.  These parts will drop in too.  If you bought the first iteration, I might sand the last mm or so off of them to shorten them.  

2019-06-04-20-43-46.jpg

2019-06-04-20-46-32.jpg

Edited by sapguy
  • 1 month later...
On 4/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, Dutch said:

So, I bought one extra set of F-15 nozzles to add to the four sets I already ordered from Sahpeways.  Each nozzle has 12 petals, so I plan on very carefully splitting apart each base nozzle into three segments of four petals each [yellow], then carefully adding two petals in between each split from the donor nozzle [red], thus giving four new nozzles of greater diameter with 18 petals each.  I am not sure of the numbe rof petals on the F101 engines on B-1Bs, but hope that the effect will be pleasing to the eye, if not to the taste of the accuracy judges.

111.JPG

Why am I suddenly thinking of Vanna White?

• 6 months later...

Okay, I have had my kit and the early version of the 3D nozzles for a few months now, and have to build the kit in the next month as a retirement gift for an office co-worker.  I do love the 3D nozzles.  The level of detail is 4x bettet than the kit. The kit nozzles are 2-4x better than previous kit releases, so that is saying something! I will create a build post on SCM. K/r, Dutch 

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say, "Wow! I love this kit!" It was a little scary when step one has you insert the simple cockpit and 2 wing sweep clips before placing the wings on their hinge pivots and then gluing the top to the bottom fuselage and buttoning everything up!  Crazy, right? But, this kit is engineered so well, that everything literally snapped in place and with practically no seams. 

Academy_B-1B_1-144_18.jpg.8d6ac01b84af3b3805bf2e486409711d.jpg

I am building the kit with wings swept full forward,  so installed the wing glove inserts, again, snapping into place without leaving a seam. I am using a new #11 blade to trim parts from the trees, then carefully trimming the excess sprue gate nibs, before gently sanding with very fine grit CRM Hobbies "swizzle" [sanding] sticks.  I am using Testors liquid cement.  I moved to the tail assembly and again, the parts are mating perfectly, leaving no seams.  I am telling you, this kit is practically falling together!  The only other kit(s) that approaches this level of superb fit and engineering are the TomyTec series of pre-painted 1/144 P-3C Orion kits (JMSDF UP-3C below). This Academy 1/144 B-1B is my new favorite kit! 

R/ Dutch 

003.JPG.d801f06468073d501d981e9741a52549.JPG

Edited by Dutch
add pics
44 minutes ago, dehowie said:

The KA models B-1 burners are fabulous.

Got mine via HLJ...outstanding set that lifts the entire rear end.

recommended.

Have you fitted them to the kit yet? Ive seen a picture of the 1/48 ones being oversized compared to the Revell kit. I'm just curious to see if thats the case on the 1/144 ones before I decide to buy them.

14 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

Just came across this. Anyone heard of them?
https://www.dameya.net/shopdetail/000000000649/

Translation...

Precisely shaped B-1B nozzle without iris plate. The nozzle is compatible with 5mm LED illumination.
Can be used without modification for Doyusha / Academy kits.
Includes 6 nozzles, including spares. Other accessories include a built-in entry ladder, a stepladder for maintenance of the bomb bay, etc. (long and short), 6 wheel chokes, and 3 figures.

Since the 3D printed parts of this product are output by a method of three-dimensionally laminating resin, there are slight lamination marks on the surface. For UV resin products, the resin manufacturer and modeling color may change depending on the time.

Kit type: 3D print model
Assembly difficulty: ☆☆☆ ★★

Product code: M3121
Manufacturer: MACH3

7 hours ago, Mstor said:

Translation...

Precisely shaped B-1B nozzle without iris plate. The nozzle is compatible with 5mm LED illumination.
Can be used without modification for Doyusha / Academy kits.
Includes 6 nozzles, including spares. Other accessories include a built-in entry ladder, a stepladder for maintenance of the bomb bay, etc. (long and short), 6 wheel chokes, and 3 figures.

Since the 3D printed parts of this product are output by a method of three-dimensionally laminating resin, there are slight lamination marks on the surface. For UV resin products, the resin manufacturer and modeling color may change depending on the time.

Kit type: 3D print model
Assembly difficulty: ☆☆☆ ★★

Product code: M3121
Manufacturer: MACH3

But. Are they still available or for future release?

17 minutes ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

But. Are they still available or for future release?

If you scroll over the red button with the shopping cart pic, a popup window is displayed for their "Worldshopping option". Looks like you have to use that to order internationally. There is a "How to use" link in the popup. click on it to get instructions. Its a kind of complicated procedure requiring you select the item using the green "Add to cart" button in the popup, then pay a purchasing agent fee. The purchasing agent gets the item and ships it to their warehouse. Then they notify you of the international shipping fee, which you pay after which they ship to you.

I know, kind of strange, but I have heard of these kind of services before. I have no idea of this companies reputation. I tried Googling the company (Mach3) but only got info on a CNC controller software package. I did find more info Googling "mach3 & jama" models, which came up while entering mach3 in the Google search field. That brought up some links to Amazon.jp, a link to the Dameya-Net store in the original link and a bunch of Pinterest links.

Looks like the Mach3/Jama company makes a bunch of 1/144 items. Here's the link to all their stuff on the Dameya-Net site:

https://www.dameya.net/shopbrand/ct78/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...