Academy 1/144 B-1B Lancer #12620 - New Mold Kit Release

Just placed the Academy release on backorder through Hannants with a 10% discount, so price was only $26.70.  Plastic looks very nice. This is looking to be a real jewel of a kit.  Can't wait.

Edited by Dutch
12 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

One thing I did notice. It seems they might have been limited by the mold process.
But the exhaust is needing some aftermarket assistance.

I agree, but it is extremely difficult to mold the turkey feathers in 1/144 scale.  Even so, they appear loads better than the previous Academy & Dragon/Panda exhausts.  However, the closest thing I can find to replace would be 1:144 F-15E turkey feathers by Shapeways.  Two sets at $6 each may be worth it.

Edited by Dutch

Wow just watched the YouTube videos on this kit. Man it looks nice I thought it was just a redo of the dragon kit. I was way wrong lol. Anyways hope Caracl puts out a second sheet for this kit. And wish someone would do a B-52 with this type of quality.

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

I agree, but it is extremely difficult to mold the turkey feathers in 1/144 scale.  Even so, they appear loads better than the previous Academy & Dragon/Panda exhausts.  However, the closest thing I can find to replace would be 1:144 F-15E turkey feathers by Shapeways.  Two sets at $6 each may be worth it.

Due to the size difference of the respective engines, A 1/144 F-15 engine would not come close to matching the size of the B-1 Exhuast. They are about 150% bigger in real life.

Cheers,

Hoops

13 hours ago, Dutch said:

I thought about that too. I didn't know about ones from Shapeways. I did see there are some from Zactoman. But there is the size difference.

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

Due to the size difference of the respective engines, A 1/144 F-15 engine would not come close to matching the size of the B-1 Exhuast. They are about 150% bigger in real life.

Cheers,

Hoops

Yes I saw a post about the size difference. I also compared the two side by side and there are definitely differences in details also.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:39 AM, SinisterVampire319 said:

I thought about that too. I didn't know about ones from Shapeways. I did see there are some from Zactoman. But there is the size difference.

Yes I saw a post about the size difference. I also compared the two side by side and there are definitely differences in details also.

So, I bought one extra set of F-15 nozzles to add to the four sets I already ordered from Shapeways.  Each nozzle has 12 petals, so I plan on very carefully splitting apart each base nozzle into three segments of four petals each [yellow], then carefully adding two petals in between each split from the donor nozzle [red], thus giving four new nozzles of greater diameter with 18 petals each.  I am not sure of the numbe rof petals on the F101 engines on B-1Bs, but hope that the effect will be pleasing to the eye, if not to the taste of the accuracy judges.

111.JPG

Edited by Dutch
18 minutes ago, Dutch said:

So, I bought one extra set of F-15 nozzles to add to the four sets I already ordered.  Each nozzle has 12 petals, so I plan on very carefully splitting apart each base nozzle into three segments of four petals each [yellow], then carefully adding two petals in between each split from the donor nozzle [red], thus giving four new nozzles of greater diameter with 18 petals each.  I am not sure of the numbe rof petals on the F404 engines on B-1Bs, but hope that the effect will be pleasing to the eye, if not to the taste of the accuracy judges.

111.JPG

Hmm interesting. Please post when finished.
Thanks,

Alan

After a little thought, I will probably split the base nozzle into four sets of three petals each and insert four individual donor petals in between. That should provide for more uniform spacing, however with the added effort of more cuts. That will produce a more balanced nozzle of 16 petals and also allow me a few spare petals to cover any mistakes.

222.JPG

Edited by Dutch
On 4/29/2019 at 10:24 PM, Dutch said:

So, I bought one extra set of F-15 nozzles to add to the four sets I already ordered.  Each nozzle has 12 petals, so I plan on very carefully splitting apart each base nozzle into three segments of four petals each [yellow], then carefully adding two petals in between each split from the donor nozzle [red], thus giving four new nozzles of greater diameter with 18 petals each.  I am not sure of the numbe rof petals on the F404 engines on B-1Bs, but hope that the effect will be pleasing to the eye, if not to the taste of the accuracy judges.

111.JPG

The BONE is powered by F101-GE-102 not F404. 

Right,  Thanks for keeping me honest.  I will fix it.  There, all fixed.

BTW, I captured this close-up of the B-1B port side engines and count 12 articualted petals and 12 non-articulated petals.  So, I may just cut out each petal from the 3D cast nozzle and insert a spacer to increase the diameter.  I won't receive them for another two - three weeks, so I will first do a test fit to see what the "is" is that's needs adjsuting.  If only slightly smaller, I may just leave them alone and use the spare "donor" nozzles for a 1/144 F-15C kit as originally intended.

B-1B_F101_Nozzles_Port.JPG

Edited by Dutch
add photo