Anyone working on a KH 1/35 MH-60L correction set?

Just following up on the ammo cans - do we have any idea how they were fed into the gun? Ie: where were they exactly when in use? To the right of the gunner or positioned between the seats? Or just depends on the individual helicopter?

Also, I guess there is a 'feed attachment' for whichever canister is in use. Anyone have an image of that? The aftermarket cans don't come with any, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Edited by LooseSeal
On 5/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, LooseSeal said:

For the 12 7.62 ammo cans - are these the right type of boxes? Would they be placed under the seats?

Hello LooseSeal,

Just so you know, nothing was ever placed under a seat on any Black Hawk.  The seats are designed to stroke down in the event of a hard landing so placing anything underneath them was forbidden.  Hawkwrench's diagram is a pretty good reference to follow for laying gear out. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

-Ramon

Thanks! It's more the specific placement of the ammo on that mission which I'm wondering about right now. I had read on a post from way, way back (I think intruder_bass's 2005 build) something about about ammo cans being suspended from the ceiling... which just sounds strange and very difficult to model!

And how best to distribute 12 canisters through the cabin, whether they were allowed to be stacked on top of each other, etc, etc.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:13 AM, LooseSeal said:

Thanks! I think the Legend set LF3D050 is far preferable to the Live Resin one. Comes with many more pieces, but still no decals for the side.

The Legend cans are for 40mm ammo.  Are they the same size as the 1500 round 7.62 cans?

On 5/25/2019 at 5:14 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

We didn’t miss it.  They didn’t include it for some reason

Floyd 

Has it been removed from current MH-60Ls?  I’m thinking the issue is that the kit designers chose to make only one specific configuration, a current aircraft configured for the DAP role.  The box artists choose a GS bird, probably because it looks cool.  The two sides didn’t meet.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

The Legend cans are for 40mm ammo.  Are they the same size as the 1500 round 7.62 cans?

Yes, they're the same thing. Just get the Archer decals and you're set.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Has it been removed from current MH-60Ls?  I’m thinking the issue is that the kit designers chose to make only one specific configuration, a current aircraft configured for the DAP role.  The box artists choose a GS bird, probably because it looks cool.  The two sides didn’t meet.

The box art is actually a stock image which has been slightly altered (the door gunner has been changed to firing position) and not done in-house. The problem is that the OOB decals are for OGS, which means KH planned for that era of MH-60L but have made mistakes in not including what was clearly recommended by their (fantastic) research team.

It isn't massively surprising, though. I've just finished assembling the engine/rotor housing and there have been some really questionable fittings that required considerable surgery. Then adding in the really poor instructions and amount of flash...

It's a nice kit in terms of the actual model, and still far better than Academy, but certain typical Kitty Hawk features really let it down.

I'm sorry, but I think you've very clearly misread what I wrote, as I did in fact state the "fantastic research team". My point was that someone within KH themselves, whoever is in charge of actually choosing what goes on the spruces did make a mistake, at least far as that antenna goes.

Any issue I have with the model has nothing to do with the research or accuracy. Again, I stated that it was a very good kit in terms of the actual model. What I said let it down was some of the engineering involved, which is not a new thing with KH. And I don't believe you had anything to do with the manufacture of the kit. None of my criticisms were leveled at the accuracy or research involved.

I apologize if I have offended but I do believe you have misconstrued completely what I said.

Kitty Hawk has some history in disconnects between their decal and box artists, and what the plastic in the box actually represents.  I don’t think the people who designed the plastic actually intended to specifically model a GS bird because almost everything in the box is for a current bird with nothing specific for a GS aircraft.  I think the design team intended to make a MH-60L DAP (only) because it’s the latest and greatest and looks cool, while the decal artists decided they wanted to do GS aircraft, probably to mate up with their AH/MH-6J kit, which has its own issues.

2 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Kitty Hawk has some history in disconnects between their decal and box artists, and what the plastic in the box actually represents.  I don’t think the people who designed the plastic actually intended to specifically model a GS bird because almost everything in the box is for a current bird with nothing specific for a GS aircraft.  I think the design team intended to make a MH-60L DAP (only) because it’s the latest and greatest and looks cool, while the decal artists decided they wanted to do GS aircraft, probably to mate up with their AH/MH-6J kit, which has its own issues.

I take full responsibility for the AH-6J missing parts.  I didn’t have access to the —10 operators manual until after it was released

Floyd

Im strangely okay with the kit needing a different antenna to be accurate for OGS, one of the fun parts of modeling to me is picking a particular aircraft at a particular time, collecting the research, buying the detail parts from cottage industry makers, its my kind of fun!

10 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I take full responsibility for the AH-6J missing parts.  I didn’t have access to the —10 operators manual until after it was released

Floyd

I must be late to the party, can you refresh my memory or point to a thread that talks about this. Thanks.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:47 AM, Tank said:

I must be late to the party, can you refresh my memory or point to a thread that talks about this. Thanks.

The secure commo gear and radios behind the seat are not in the kit.  I'm not sure there was a thread.  I found out about it and produced a correction/update set.

Floyd

9 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

The secure commo gear and radios behind the seat are not in the kit.  I'm not sure there was a thread.  I found out about it and produced a correction/update set.

Floyd

Thanks for the info.