Top Gun 2 plot tidbit from a very credible source

Francesco Chierici, better known as Paco, the creator and producer of "Speed and Angels"  was on the  22 MAR 19 Fighter Pilot Podcast.  He was talking about his new novel "Lions of the Sky", and was describing a scene from the book where the hero ends up in Iran, steals a F-14, and flies it back to the carrier.  He then goes on to say that he recently found out that something similar happens in Top Gun 2.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

If that is similar in any way to the movie plot, I can tell ya right now Tom Cruise and Paramount Pictures will probably never be able to make movies again.

😂

8 hours ago, Ishthe47guy said:

Francesco Chierici, better known as Paco, the creator and producer of "Speed and Angels"  was on the  22 MAR 19 Fighter Pilot Podcast.  He was talking about his new novel "Lions of the Sky", and was describing a scene from the book where the hero ends up in Iran, steals a F-14, and flies it back to the carrier.  He then goes on to say that he recently found out that something similar happens in Top Gun 2.

Ish, time to face reality … the US Navy isn't gonna be flying Tomcats again 😉 

• 3 months later...

Well, the trailer dropped over the weekend and I for one am pumped by what I saw. I believe for the most part all practical flight scenes with little to no CGI. Except probably of course the .....F-14 at the end of the trailer. So perhaps this inside scoop is more accurate than some thought. We shall see. Looks like it's going to be some GREAT flying scenes. I can't wait.

Bill

I watched an interview with Tom Cruise. He said a huge part of casting was whether the actors to could handle sustained G's. They wanted as much footage as possible to be shot in the cockpits during actual flight. He said he wanted this move to be "a love letter to aviation". I don't care about the plot if the flying is good!

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I don't care about the plot if the flying is good!

Exactly...I mean, as a 17 year old in high school back in '87, TOPGUN was the most awesome movie ever! Fast forward to 10-15 years later while I was in the Navy, and the plot of the original is hokey at best too (a pilot ["Viper"], just decides he'll be Maverick's RIO? What about all that NFO training you'll need???)...BUT IT'S STILL AWESOME!! 😂 

In a Fallout interview Tom Cruise said Top Gun 2 was happening and there won't be any CGI planes.  That F-14 in the trailer looked CGI to me.  Large-sized models, on the other hand, can look very real - like that stalling F-14 in the first movie that kept me guessing how they crashed a real F-14. Or maybe practical effects complementing digital would be acceptable but pure CGI would just pull me out of the scene.

well, I suppose it's possible they just threw the F-14 in there at the end as a teaser and there is really nothing to do with it in the movie and/or it was some flashback scene or something. At this point who knows? Either way, I'm excited to see the movie.

Bill

Two possibilities:

- not all trailer footage ends up in, or is intended to be used, in the released movie

- it could have been footage filmed during the original TG movie production

15 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Two possibilities:

- not all trailer footage ends up in, or is intended to be used, in the released movie

- it could have been footage filmed during the original TG movie production

I guess it's possible it could be left-over footage or something but it just didn't look very real. To me the Tomcat looked CGI. The lighting on it just had that computer calculated shading and textured look to it. I totally could be wrong though.

They used the Tomcat from the San Diego Air and Space museum for filming. It was spotted on a carrier during filming as well. It carried fictitious Phoenix markings. What the purpose is will only be discovered when the movie comes out. 😁

I seriously doubt Iran will have a role in TGM. First off, there have been leaked photos of an F-14 used in filming which had special markings, none of which resembled Iranian Tomcats. And second, before the DOD assists with any script they thoroughly review it OPSEC and public image purposes, and I guarantee they would not support a film that had Iran as a player due to the current political climate. Good example was back when 20th Century Fox originally asked the DOD for support on the first Independence Day, they liked the script and were going to help but wanted any reference to Area 51 removed, the director said no so the DOD said thanks and backed out.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

Nope.

I thought that was the case but you never know sometimes with the military. I thought the F-117 was gone completely. There were the very public photos of airframes being chewed up but then they've recently been shown that the airforce has kept some airframes flyable.

3 hours ago, jpk said:

I thought that was the case but you never know sometimes with the military. I thought the F-117 was gone completely. There were the very public photos of airframes being chewed up but then they've recently been shown that the airforce has kept some airframes flyable.

Navy guys like to blab about stuff, if there were any flying...we'd hear about it, especially after a few beers.

7 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Navy guys like to blab about stuff, if there were any flying...we'd hear about it, especially after a few beers.

Not only that, one probably would have been spotted drawing male genitalia in their contrails by now. 😁