CD72090 - 1/72 P-3 Orion Part 1

Welcome news, especially with Blackbird Models planning some P-3A/B conversion sets too. I know you're plenty adept at your research but feel free to hit me up for details you might get hung up on, stenciling, etc.

23 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Welcome news, especially with Blackbird Models planning some P-3A/B conversion sets too. I know you're plenty adept at your research but feel free to hit me up for details you might get hung up on, stenciling, etc.

I know you have Canadian details..... pleaae do pass them on. 😜

Ooorah!  Waiting for the 1/144 release as well.  How much stenciling do you plan on adding?  I only ask because the Hasegawa kit decals provide a lot of stencilling, though with a thicker carrier flm.  The decals in the Revell release are printed by Cartograf and the stencils are very nicely done.  So minimal stenciling may only be required.  In 1/144 scale, LS/ARII provides a decent level of stenciling in kit decals.  TomyTec kits are all prepainted, so additional stenciling may be required if the modeler were to repaint the kits into different schemes.    

Edited by Dutch
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Ooorah!  Waiting for the 1/144 release as well.  How much stenciling do you plan on adding?  I only ask because the Hasegawa kit decals provide a lot of stencilling, though with a thicker carrier flm.  The decals in the Revell release are printed by Cartograf and the stencils are very nicely done.  So minimal stenciling may only be required.  In 1/144 scale, LS/ARII provides a decent level of stenciling in kit decals.  TomyTec kits are all prepainted, so additional stenciling may be required if the modeler were to repaint the kits into different schemes.    

I have planned a layout similar to the P2V Neptune sheets, Dutch - one Cartograf-printed stencilling sheet which will be common to all P-3 sheets, and Microscale-printed main markings sheets. The amount of stencilling on the P-3 seems to be massive - I may cut some corners on the walkway lines etc., but will try to provide a complete set that should satisfy most modelers.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, KursadA said:

I have planned a layout similar to the P2V Neptune sheets, Dutch - one Cartograf-printed stencilling sheet which will be common to all P-3 sheets, and Microscale-printed main markings sheets. The amount of stencilling on the P-3 seems to be massive - I may cut some corners on the walkway lines etc., but will try to provide a complete set that should satisfy most modelers.

Perhaps a seperate P-3 stenciling sheet is in order. There's a lot of older Superscale sheets out there still, and as Dutch mentioned, the kit decals are thick and yellow. Just a thought! Fred K.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to see that you're going to cover the P-3. I'm looking to model a particular plane because it's one that I saw myself a couple of years ago. (You don't see that many Orions around here...) It's an EP-3E with the tail number 148888. Actually this has already been done by Microscale on their sheet 72-432. However, I haven't been able to source this sheet as yet.

Any chance you might redo this particular plane? Or (asking nicely) maybe you have connections to lead me into the right direction?

Edit: VQ-2 (Rota, Spain), spotting date August 5, 1982 (Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany) (And yes, although the German Navy only recently scrapped their Breguet Atlantics and got even older Orions to replace them, I never saw another P-3...)

Edited by TomTheCat
Specifics
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Bringing this topic up as the sheet is now a couple of months away.

Folks, would you need anything other than an EP-3  "M&M" antenna to build this VW-4 airplane? I would recommend the use of EP-3E conversion parts sold by Click2Detail on Shapeways.

Kursad, Let me check my Wind Chasers book at home. I am inclined to say no, but I am sure there may be subtle differences of which I am unaware. I will give an answer later tonight.  K/r, Dutch 

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

Bringing this topic up as the sheet is now a couple of months away.

Folks, would you need anything other than an EP-3  "M&M" antenna to build this VW-4 airplane? I would recommend the use of EP-3E conversion parts sold by Click2Detail on Shapeways.

I think that the fairing the goes behind the M&M is too wide, but that's a minor complaint.  Less of an issue an issue if you are building this aircraft, but I would not recommend the EP-3E Conversion from Click2Detail if you want to build an actual EP-3.

Instead I would recommend the Lone Star Scale Models resin conversion, as it has the shape of the upper and lower canoe fairings correct.

The 3D models used for the conversion from Click2Detail are perfect half circles in cross section, where as on the actual aircraft the curve is much more flattened. Take a look at the front of the canoes as well, the 3D printed parts curve that same perfect half circle down, where as the actual aircraft is a bit more nuanced.

Both sets miss a lot of other things, but it gets you the major parts.

Hoops

When it comes to stencilling the colours have varied over time, ist this sheet just hi vis schemes?

What you get in the Hasgawa box for walkways colour wise is off in later releases IMHO. It would be good to see a low vis stencil and walkway sheet as well

Okay, I located my copy of "The Wind Chasers" and it makes no mention of any mods to the WP-3A aircraft.  They only make their appearance in the last chapter and only for about 8 pages. A few smallish b&w photos.  So let's say that the weather radar radome with flat triangle fairing behind and three airflow vanes per side was the only major external modification to the WP-3A. I assume any dropsondes could be launched through the internally loaded drop chute. HTH, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
Correct spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I just corresponded with Mr. Mike West at Lone Star Models and he offers a 1/72 EP-3E conversion set (LSM 70293) and has just completed a 1/144 set. (He was kind enough to share his first set with me.)  So bring on the 1/72 & 1/144  EP-3B/EP-3E/NP-3A/WP-3A/WP-3D decals!

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...