CD72090 - 1/72 P-3 Orion Part 1

• 5 months later...

And I have a request re: Orions. I have obtained a built Hase kit which is going to need a refinish. I hope to use an aftermarket sheet, but the main stumbling block is the stenciling with the curved wing walks. The built kit's wingwalks have yellowed badly and will need to be replaced. Will you be providing stencils and wing-walks with the new sheet?

32 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

And I have a request re: Orions. I have obtained a built Hase kit which is going to need a refinish. I hope to use an aftermarket sheet, but the main stumbling block is the stenciling with the curved wing walks. The built kit's wingwalks have yellowed badly and will need to be replaced. Will you be providing stencils and wing-walks with the new sheet?

Absolutely.

This sheet is still being worked on, but getting really close to completion. It will have a high-vis VP-48 aircraft as one of the options.

• 1 month later...

This will be my next build when I get back to the bench, hopefully EP-3E decals with the JCC Spiral 3 update post 2011 , are not far away ???

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7796.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER
2 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Yeah man, those would be cool. 

Fun Fact:  a/c 511 was the Hainan Island incident aircraft.

Correct. She was rebuilt using parts from NP-3D 150525 and the wings from P-3B 153453.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Fun Fact:  a/c 511 was the Hainan Island incident aircraft.

What a colossal mess that incident was - I hope one day we will learn the true magnitude of how much crucial intelligence material and technology was compromised there. 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Not as much as Snowden gave away. 

I agree - but I can't help thinking that the EP-3E incident could have been avoided by taking better precautions. Even the publicly available redacted version of the EP-3E incident damage assessment report is pretty damning, and I am sure there is more that we don't know.

Anyhow - back to decals: I will try to include markings for some EP-3E but I think I already have too much material for a single sheet.

8 hours ago, KursadA said:

I agree - but I can't help thinking that the EP-3E incident could have been avoided by taking better precautions. Even the publicly available redacted version of the EP-3E incident damage assessment report is pretty damning, and I am sure there is more that we don't know.

Anyhow - back to decals: I will try to include markings for some EP-3E but I think I already have too much material for a single sheet.

So just do a separate sheet of EP-3's please.

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

So just do a separate sheet of EP-3's please.

Steve

@KursadA,

Steve may be on to something here.  With all the different schemes worn by VQ-1 & VQ-2 from early black to later LGG/White to overall LGG.  If you still have room on the sheet, you could throw the WP-3As of VW-4 on there as well; maybe even the EP-3Js of VAQ-33 as well.  If you need to borrow any of the Angelo Romano books on VQ-1, VQ-2, VAQ-33 & VAQ-34, please let me know.

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
16 hours ago, KursadA said:

What a colossal mess that incident was - I hope one day we will learn the true magnitude of how much crucial intelligence material and technology was compromised there. 

A good deal of intel and insight into collection methods (gear) was compromised but much of it is obsolete by now. The pace of development for the type of equipment used is pretty rapid...and keeps me employed 😀 
Within the community (VP/VQ) it changed how aircrews conduct "emergency destruction" of classified gear and equipment, and the general consensus is that they should have put the bird in the water. None the less, all survived and came home heroes, at least in the media's eyes. Good for "big Navy". Bad for the intel community.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

@KursadA,

Steve may be on to something here.  With all the different schemes worn by VQ-1 & VQ-2 from early black to later LGG/White to overall LGG.  If you still have room on the sheet, you could throw the WP-3As of VW-4 on there as well; maybe even the EP-3Js of VAQ-33 as well.  If you need to borrow any of the Angelo Romano books on VQ-1, VQ-2, VAQ-33 & VAQ-34, please let me know.

K/r, Dutch

And after the VAQ-33's disestablishment at NAS Key West, those two EP-3J's of VQ-11, were based here at NAS Willow Grove, operated by VP-66, before moving on to NAS Brunswick.

Steve

9 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

A good deal of intel and insight into collection methods (gear) was compromised but much of it is obsolete by now. The pace of development for the type of equipment used is pretty rapid...and keeps me employed 😀 
Within the community (VP/VQ) it changed how aircrews conduct "emergency destruction" of classified gear and equipment, and the general consensus is that they should have put the bird in the water. None the less, all survived and came home heroes, at least in the media's eyes. Good for "big Navy". Bad for the intel community.

Whitey, I agree with you 110% on this.  

26 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

And after the VAQ-33's disestablishment at NAS Key West, those two EP-3J's of VQ-11, were based here at NAS Willow Grove, operated by VP-66, before moving on to NAS Brunswick.

Steve

Yes, but they wore VAQ-33 GD markings for a period. Never been done in decals before! 

@KursadA, My offer of the book loan still stands.

Edited by Dutch
13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yes, but they wore VAQ-33 GD markings for a period. Never been done before!

When they came to Willow Grove they wore VP-66 markings, 152719, LV-3 and 152745, LV-4. When they were "officially" designated VQ-11 at Brunswick they were 152719, LP-719 and 152745, LP-745. I have slides of them.

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

When they came to Willow Grove they wore VP-66 markings, 152719, LV-3 and 152745, LV-4. When they were "officially" designated VQ-11 at Brunswick they were 152719, LP-719 and 152745, LP-745. I have slides of them.

Steve

Steve,  Maybe Kursad can make an "Electronic / Recon Orion" sheet separate from the line squadrons just like he made a "USAF C-135 Recon Variants" sheet in 1/72 or "RC-135 Recon Variants" sheet in 1/144 for the C-135.   I like the idea!  Kind regards, Dutch

1 minute ago, Dutch said:

Steve,  Maybe Kursad can make an "Electronic / Recon Orion" sheet separate from the line squadrons just like he made a "USAF C-135 Recon Variants" sheet in 1/72 or "RC-135 Recon Variants" sheet in 1/144 for the C-135.   I like the idea!  Kind regards, Dutch

That is pretty much the only way that I can do this - I will plan this for later in the year.

7 minutes ago, Dutch said:

That would be great but honestly I need these for my next build.

Steve

https://www.squadronprints.com/uploads/images/products/large/squadron-prints-ep-3e-15760012341421.jpg?v3