CD72091 - 1/72 B-47 Stratojet

Still putting my vote in for this B-47E, last flight ever by a B-47 in 1986. I saw her for the first time a year after that flight, the docents loved talking about what an event it was bring her in.

http://www.thisdayinaviation.com/17-june-1986/boeing-b-47e-25-dt-stratojet-52-166-douglastulsa-built-at-nawc-china-lake/

5917ffb1ca19242cbfc058c7_Boeing-B-47E-Stratojet.jpg

Edited by Charlie D.
  • 3 months later...

Kursad, 

I know that another un-named decal maker did WB-47E decals in 1/72nd scale, but I would love to see new WB-47E WEATHER decals in both 1/72 & 1/144th scale. 

Kindest regards,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This photo is one of those "find the five things that are wrong in this picture" puzzles, but its originality and the zaps on the fuselage make it irresistible. Does anyone know the story of this one? Can anyone identify the football helmet logo?

13782133094_92f62e4f21_b.jpg

US Navy operated two EB-47E jets as EW aggressor aircraft.  That looks like some kind of jammer pod under the wing in your photo. 

Two U.S. Navy Boeing EB-47E Stratojets at at the Naval Missile Center, Point Mugu, California (USA). The U.S. Air Force B-47Es 52-410 and 52-412 were converted to EB-47Es in the mid-1960s for service with U.S. Navy's Fleet Electronic Warfare Support Group (FEWSG). They were assigned the BuNos "24100" and "24102", which had already ben assigned to Grumman TBF-1 Avengers in the 1940s. Considered to be on indefinite loan from USAF, these aircraft were unlike the USAF EB-47Es, with some of their ECM gear fitted into pods carried on the external fuel tank pylons. They were used for tests of naval ECM systems and as "electronic aggressors" in naval and joint exercises. These two aircraft were the last B-47s in operational service, and 52-410 performed the very last operational flight of a B-47 on 20 December 1977, when it was flown to Pease Air Force Base, New Hampshire (USA). "24120" is today on display at the Dyess Linear Air Park, Dyess AFB, Texas.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b47_13.html

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/usn-eb-47e-52-1400-test-dupe-color-1879568263

800px-US_Navy_EB-47Es_at_Point_Mugu_in_1

The Navy also had a third jet, an NB-47E used to test the TF-34 engine for the S-3 program. 

This is speculation but maybe McDD was responsible for integrating the EW systems onto the B-47, based on their experience with the Douglas EA-3 & EB-66 programs. Although you would think the Navy would have just picked either one of those rather than modding a couple of -47s.... 

The Helmet is OU, Oklahoma and the markings refer to their #1 ranking for 1974 and 75.  Stupid Sooners.  (Husker fan)

The airframe is 52-412, and Douglas-Tulsa was the support center for the program which also included a couple of A3B platforms. 

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister
2 hours ago, Spruemeister said:

The Helmet is OU, Oklahoma and the markings refer to their #1 ranking for 1974 and 75.  Stupid Sooners.  (Husker fan)

The airframe is 52-412, and Douglas-Tulsa was the support center for the program which also included a couple of A3B platforms. 

Rick L.

What he said,  except for the "Stupid Sooners" part. I don't have a dog in that fight. 😎😉

Had a trivia question at a Pub Quiz a couple of years ago: Which Division One college football team has LOST the MOST BOWL GAMES?

Sorry, Huskers. That would be you. That question was the cash question of the night, and I don't follow college sports at all. I just took a WAG (Wild fool Guess) and wrote down Nebraska. I won $175!

53 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Had a trivia question at a Pub Quiz a couple of years ago: Which Division One college football team has LOST the MOST BOWL GAMES?

Sorry, Huskers. That would be you. That question was the cash question of the night, and I don't follow college sports at all. I just took a WAG (Wild fool Guess) and wrote down Nebraska. I won $175!

We ain't lost no stinkin bowl games lately.  Haven't been in any.  I guess if you loose a lot of bowl games, it means you were in a lot of bowl games.  Once upon a time.  Hope the $175 gets put to good use, and you're welcome.

The FEWSG traded the B-47s for a pair of KC-135 types to fly the same mission.  I wondered if that was one of the replacements in the background of the photo. 

Rick L.