CD72091 - 1/72 B-47 Stratojet

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, KursadA said:

How cool is this - I don't know if these will be readable in 1/72, but it would be a nice addition to the JATO bottles. With Fisher gone, does anyone still offer a set of bottles for the B-47?

https://www.criticalpast.com/store/cpdata/65675022550/big/65675022550_001219_3.jpg

Yeah, pretty neat.  I guess that you would include it on the black stencil portion of the sheet.  Hmm, 33 bottles on the Fisher rack and 33 on the FS depiction.  That's alot of stencils.  But I like the idea.  K/r, Dutch

Fisher_33_Jato.JPG.ab0cab84599420d11c8109fb730b3af9.JPG

Fisher B-47 JATO Collar with 33 bottles.

B-47_strapon2.jpg.fae5d527fec467bec70c9048eac973b7.jpg

FlightSim depiction (sorry best I could get) of the horse collar mounted on a B-47E.  You will only count 31, but the last two are hidden to the far left.  However, it does show the stenciling pretty well.

Edited by Dutch
13 hours ago, KursadA said:

How cool is this - I don't know if these will be readable in 1/72, but it would be a nice addition to the JATO bottles. With Fisher gone, does anyone still offer a set of bottles for the B-47?

https://www.criticalpast.com/store/cpdata/65675022550/big/65675022550_001219_3.jpg

Cool idea!  Are the B-47 sheets getting close to release?  I forget, did you decide to put any RB-47 subjects on it?

28 minutes ago, Corey said:

Cool idea!  Are the B-47 sheets getting close to release?  I forget, did you decide to put any RB-47 subjects on it?

Yes, the B-47 artwork is mostly done, I will need to do the layout. I think I should be able to release it in the next few months, along with the P-3 and B-1B sheets which were equally time consuming and challenging projects. 

There will be RB-47 and WB-47 options on the sheet. I really wanted to add some earlier variants (B-47B etc.), but I am not sure if you can get there starting with the Hasegawa kit.

One thing that bothers me is that I was never able to find the serial number for "The City of Winter Park" and "The City of Orlando", the two beautifully marked B-47E's that were part of 321BW's winning team in the SAC 1957 bombing competition.  I think these must be documented in the unit's yearbook or somewhere else - I wish we could locate this information, as I have everything I need apart from the numbers.

OK, it looks like we were able to solve the "City of Orlando Park" puzzle and figure out its serial number with help from one of you. Thanks! Moving on to the puzzle of the 1956 GE Trophy Winner jet from 22BW.   I swear there was an entry in this thread about that jet - where did it go? I still have the photo, but not the info. 

11 minutes ago, Spruemeister said:

Sadly I have nothing further on this jet. I will scan the photo from the book and get it to you. Hate dead ends. 

Rick L. 

Thanks! I found some more bits of information in another book; which gives us the pilot name. I am wondering if the big color photo you posted on the thread might have been taken at the National Air Show in Oklahoma City in 1956 Labor Day - or would it be too soon to apply the markings right after the flight to Oklahoma?? Perhaps the state historical agency might have something about the B-47 since the airshow seems to have bee quite the big deal.

2020-12-22%2018_39_48-THE-1956-AIRCRAFT-

16 hours ago, KursadA said:

Thanks! I found some more bits of information in another book; which gives us the pilot name. I am wondering if the big color photo you posted on the thread might have been taken at the National Air Show in Oklahoma City in 1956 Labor Day - or would it be too soon to apply the markings right after the flight to Oklahoma?? Perhaps the state historical agency might have something about the B-47 since the airshow seems to have bee quite the big deal.

2020-12-22%2018_39_48-THE-1956-AIRCRAFT-

My personal opinion is that the jet wasn't painted at the show where the flight terminated.  I doubt they would have had time or the correct speed info that quickly.  But maybe.  The slide in my collection isn't marked with a date or location (dang delinquent photographer) either.  There were three B-47s in the flight from Bermuda, each proceeding on its own, so that's where the competition aspect comes in as Schreiber's time finished 21.3 seconds ahead of another 22nd BW B-47 and a third from the 310th BW.

I have emailed you the photos and my interpretations of the markings.

Rick L.

Thanks, Rick - it looks like we have enough material to include this one on the sheet thanks to your efforts.

Folks, part of the reason this project took forever is the age of the  kit - while it is dimensionally accurate, it is woefully lacking in details and panel line accuracy. I think such an important SAC type deserves a new kit. Until then, we will have to live with what we have.

There are a few B-47B and early B-47E options that I would like to include, so I will provide the necessary windows and some structural details in the form of decals. Some structural details are impossible to represent in decals (the built-in ATO panel etc.), so I hope we can see some aftermarket in the future; similar to what PlusModel did for the Heller C-121 kit. 

This set will have a lot of interesting options, structural details and accurate stencilling to add some much-needed detail to the kit; and hopefully will make it possible to build a lot of nice B-47 models. It will be similar to my B-58 sheets in coverage, complexity and attention to detail. I am a Stratojet fan myself and spent a lot of time on this sheet - I hope you will like it. Expect to see this sheet sometime in early Spring.

b47struct.jpg

According to Joe Baugher's RB-47H Stratojet webpage, the RB-47H serials were:

53-4280/4309 Boeing RB-47H-1-BW Stratojet (30) Model 450-171-51, c/n 4501304/4501333

4296 retired to storage 12-29-67, last USAF B-47 to serve.

53-4310/4321 Cancelled Contract for Boeing RB-47H.

53-6245/6249 Boeing RB-47H-1-BW Stratojet (5) Model 450-171-51, c/n 4501386/4501390

6245, 6246, and 6249 converted to ERB-47H.

Here is a clearer picture for you.  Serial is 53-4296 with 296 repeated in white on red forward gear doors.  Jagged line is a red lightning bolt.

55th_Strategic_Reconnaissance_Wing_-_Boeing_RB-47H-1-BW_Stratojet_53-4296.thumb.jpg.c01df4eb0783cef1c6a1c0f38472e8f3.jpg

Edited by Dutch
add picture.