CD72091 - 1/72 B-47 Stratojet

Kursad, Any thought of including LtCol Robert "Dutch" Holland's [played by Jimmy Stewart] TB-47B from the movie "Strategic Air Command?" Pretty simple markings. K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, Any thought of including LtCol Robert "Dutch" Holland's [played by Jimmy Stewart] TB-47B from the movie "Strategic Air Command?" Pretty simple markings. K/r,  Dutch 

Already on the sheet as one of 20 options - B-47B 51-2318 from 365th BS / 305th BW was one of the first options I drew for the sheet 🙂

OK.  How about a B-47 essential markings sheet as a companion?  There isn't much besides wingwalks, insignia, turbine warning stripes, and USAF/U. S. AIR FORCE titles.  Most of the Hasagawa kits out there are pretty aged and so are the kit's decals. 

Rick L.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As the author of several books about the B-47, it is nice to see another 1:72 decal sheet  dedicated to my favorite plane. Although most B-47's sported a natural metal finish, you can find variations in the white anti-flash paint schemes, a few garishly painted WB-47B's, the three "Navy" birds. There were a lot of aircraft with dedications to local towns, "City of...".

Great job Caracal!

Mark

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for a preview of the main sheet - this one took a long time and a lot of work, and I believe I got a lot of the details right for the first time in decal form. You are seeing only the main sheet of this 4-sheet set: the other three sheets cover the national insignia, wing walkways and serial numbers/other black markings (including nose window forms for TB-47/B-47B and early B-47Es)

cd72091.jpg

Oh yeah, Kursad!

It looks like you have a bunch of "winners" with this sheet!  I'll have to order a new Hasegawa B-47 from SprueBrothers then, as I have long since sold my other 1/72 kits to concentrate on 1/144 for the bombers.  But I will definitely buy this one.  I can't wait for the 1/144 edition. 

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Decal making at its finest. The Hasegaw B-47 has languished far too long without good decal subjects to give it new life. Even though we should have a new kit, these will help bridge the gap and kick off a StratoJET renaissance. 

Rick L. 

Edited by Spruemeister

Rick, Umm, do you mean Stratojet renaissance?  But, no reason why it couldn't also lead to a Stratofortress renaissance as well!  K/r, Dutch

PS: I just noticed the GAM-63 RASCAL markings on there!  Well done, Kursad!

Edited by Dutch

Dutch, I got a kick out of your writing "a new Hasegawa B-47" - I know you mean - new to you or "another" kit, but it reminded me of when I first discovered that kit. I was in college out in L.A. and I found this "AMT" B-47 kit in a store somewhere. It must have cost $5 or so back in 1968. Man! 53 years ago!😊

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

PS: I just noticed the GAM-63 RASCAL markings on there!  Well done, Kursad!

YES!!!  Finally, I picked up a Rascal conversion kit years ago at a Nats show to put on my B-47 when I got around to it, but nobody's ever done squadron markings...guess its time to bust that beast out. Yes, thank you Kursad!

1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

Dutch, I got a kick out of your writing "a new Hasegawa B-47" - I know you mean - new to you or "another" kit, but it reminded me of when I first discovered that kit. I was in college out in L.A. and I found this "AMT" B-47 kit in a store somewhere. It must have cost $5 or so back in 1968. Man! 53 years ago!😊

Paul, You are so right!  Yes, of course, "New" to me.  I must have had six Hasegawa/Frog/AMT/Minicraft B-47 kits at one time or another since the mid 1970s, never more than two at the same time, and some gotten as cheap as $10 mind you.  I would dream of building it, become discouraged becasue of lack of decent decals, then say to myself, I'm never going to build it, sell it, then pick up another one or two a few years later.  They are like my favorite used car.  I keep coming back to it!  So I guess I am the definition of a serious collector, versus you, as a serious modeler!  🤪

1 hour ago, Falcon053 said:

YES!!!  Finally, I picked up a Rascal conversion kit years ago at a Nats show to put on my B-47 when I got around to it, but nobody's ever done squadron markings...guess its time to bust that beast out. Yes, thank you Kursad!

If you check earlier in this thread, you will see mention of the resin RATO collar with 33 individual RATO bottles.  I think Kursad is including the stenciling for those as well as part of the four sheet package.  When it rains, it pours!  K/r, Dutch

I have had a Hasegawa B-47E Stratojet in the stash since the late 70's, at last a set of decals which will motivate me to build it! Send some to Hannants please 😉

So many superb subjects from Caracal recently and in the months to come 👍

Michael

7 hours ago, Falcon053 said:

Great subject matter, when will this set be available

Mark Natola

16 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Great subject matter, when will this set be available

Mark Natola

I expect to have the decals ready in August, but the complexity of the instruction sheet design work probably means I will be able to offer this only in September or so.

My one and only 1/72 B-47 kit has already been chopped up for the RB-47H conversion.   I'll grab at least one of these sheets in 1/72 for the SAC badges and Milky Way sashes as well as insignia and data.   I do have a half dozen of the 1/144 kits so I'll definitely be looking to pick up several 1/144 sheets when they come out.