CD72091 - 1/72 B-47 Stratojet

• 3 weeks later...

Kursad,

Thank you for including the two different styles of SAC sashes on the sheet.  I just stumbled across this photo of B-47Es on the ramp at Plattsburg AFB, NY from the Wikipedia entry for the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing (nee Bomb Wing).  What is interesting to note is the variety of sashes / badges displayed.  The closest B-47E is of particular note.   Enjoy! 

K/r,

Dutch   

2105824222_B-47Es_380th_BW-Med_PlattsburgAFBNY1959.thumb.JPG.ae2bf18bcae0224b54deb0e9eee0a777.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wxltcol said:

Wow, Dutch!  I didn't realize straitlaced SAC allowed for a bit of variety!

Tom

Decals were locally produced, applied.  That probably accounted for the variations.

• 2 weeks later...

Sold out!!!  All gone in about three months from release - one of the fastest selling sheets I ever released.

Get yours from the resellers while they still have some in stock. Thank you for your interest once again - the 1/144 version in in the works and will be released soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really related to decals, but this B-47 trivia was so fascinating that I wanted to share:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-B52-bomber-have-an-oven-in-it

Why does the B52 bomber have an oven in it?

Because on the B47, which preceded the Buff, too many airmen burned themselves cooking frozen dinners on top of the power amplifiers in the forward gear bay (which were part of the radar). I know this for a fact, because my father-in-law was one of those airmen.

main-qimg-8810f80698eb0a8b3ea67fb82d5f6593-lq

Burned airmen, not to mention refried beans in the electronics, are not conducive to the conduct of modern technological warfare, so when they designed the B52 (with an ever more powerful radar), they put heat shields around the amplifiers. This pissed the airmen off mightly.

Initially, crews had to make do with a thermos of coffee and packages of cheese and crackers. That sucked, as they often flew day-long missions. So the officer’s wives auxiliary raised money to buy some sort of portable stove that crew could set on the steps leading from the lower deck (where the navigator and EWO were) to the flight deck.)

As you can imagine, that didn’t work out well. So when Rockwell conducted (what we would now call) human factors studies prior to design changed going into the H models, they recommended adding an oven.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...