Ever wonder what's inside that HDMI cable that stopped working?

Since I made the mistake of cutting away too much plastic from my "back after thirty years" debut, I figured I would look around the house for inspiration. One area that always makes my jaw drop (https://davidsscalemodels.com/2019/04/19/detail-work-continues-on-the-1-48-f-22-raptor/

His ability to take a tiny model and just copy the real thing to the smallest detail, is stunning. I had planned to try and replicate as much detail in my models as well, from spark plugs to wire harnesses and hydraulic plumbing, you just need a scale sized wire in the right color. So, since I am bored, waiting til I have money to re-order two $10 OH-6's (yes, I am that poor, I can't afford to buy $20 dollars worth of kits) I decided to see if my idea of using CATV patch cords would work. I also have a lot of dead HDMI cables as well, so I cut one of those up to see what was inside.

What we have are very tiny jacketed conductors that are the ideal size for modeling in most of the usual scales (35, 48, 72 and more). Either with the jacket on for the larger sizes, to bare metal on the smaller ones. The HDMI produced even smaller conductors in several colors that are all very maluable as well, so they should be perfect for setting up all the wiring, pipes and hydraulics on your scale models.

So if you have an old HDMI cable, don't throw it away, the amount of wiring inside one 3 foot cable is enough to wire a hundred kits. Here are the pictures of what is inside.

57589786_130027828151394_760147069228181

57511727_130027791484731_373834907356076

Hope this is helpful to someone. I will add that there are two types of patch cables, there is solid strand, where each conductor is made of one single piece of copper. Then there is stranded type, these are very easy to bend and flex, and typically you will find these sold with terminations already on each end. The only way to know what kind of cable it is, is by bending and flexing it. If you have one in each hand, the difference is obvious. Anyway, the stranded kind has exactly that, multiple copper wires within each conductor wire. So, in a typical patch cord, you have eight conductors wrapped individually in different colors. These can be bent to shape and painted to match what ever color you like. If going with bare copper, you apparently can still paint it, but the paint will probably not adhere as well, trial and error before committing to using these wires is ALWAYS a must.

There you have it, Anthony's first actual post designed to help to add that little extra detail that makes a model become artwork, and for absolutely no out of pocket expense, as nearly everyone has cables lying around their home, just need to cut one up and have some fun! If you do learn from this, please post you pictures so I can admire your creation!

Special thanks to David for some extra lessons on wire harnesses, I had the idea, but he has shown it in action long before this post was made. Visit his website and look at the tools, tips and tricks he offers there, it is extremely valuable for new modelers, even some seasoned builders might learn a thing or two as well. Go to davidsscalemodels.com

PSS. David, I hope you don't mind me linking your site, just let me know and I will take it down. Anthony

Edited by Stalker6recon
Add credits

Headphone cables work well too, they typically contain enamel coated wire.  Great for replicating hydraulic hard lines.  (you can also just buy an assortment of different sizes of enamel coated wire from the net). 

Also, phone charging cables.  They have very fine insulated wire (not enamel coated). 

Scrap electronics in general usually have little bits and pieces that can be hacked into things one can use for scratch building. 

Don't forget electronics solder. Very malleable, multiple sizes, readily painted. I rolled some into very thin straps to make 1/48 seatbelts.

snj-belts4.jpg 

15 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

enamel coated wire.

Thanks for the added Intel, what I can't figure out yet, is what scale these wires work with? I don't have a gauge checker, but I understand 32awg is pretty good for most things. Not sure where these wires fall into the scale, but it will be interesting to find out.

15 hours ago, dnl42 said:

electronics solder.

I have heard about solder as well, from the look, being silver in color, it is perfect for hydraulics, and I don't think paint is required in most instances. My issue is finding the really small stuff. Do you have the size you use? I would also love to see how you roll it into seat belts! I have some PE seat belts, but I am not thrilled with their look, the pre-painted kind anyway. I am planning to make my own as a test, using ribbon from the nearby sewing shop, the kind of ribbon for wrapping gifts or tails on balloons. I don't know how it will come out, but it will be fun trying. Another tip from David's website, is using cloth duct tape. If you are interested, he explains how he does it and shows lots of examples as well, really amazing stuff.

9 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Wow, thanks for sharing this info : ) 

I am just happy I may be able to help someone else finally. I also am hoping that others can fill in some holes or offer even better solutions. I am absolutely new to modeling (again, long story) but I remember a lot of items from past work that may be applicable to us.

What's that old saying, sharing is caring, something nauseating like that!

Anthony

On 4/25/2019 at 6:41 AM, habu2 said:

inside an HMDI cable that is still working....   😎

Normally I don't take kindly to smart azz remarks......... But this time is different! Nice one, should have realized the Capt. Obvious would be lurking around the corner!

Cheers.

Anthony