Revell GT-40 MKII questions

Has anybody built this kit? I mean I'm sure there are those who have as the kit is 30 years old. I'm just asking if it's worth picking up. Does it compare evenly to the Fujimi kit or surpass it? Any tips would be helpful.

268607-12135-88-pristine.jpg

I pick these up when I see a price I cant refuse.  Only problem is that I have a few now and replacement decals will cost me more than what I paid for the kits.  I have a problem paying over $10 for a few meatballs.

Edited by Spectre711

Lol I'll take a few off your hands. And yeah, decal prices for ONE car a freaking insane! I built one or two cars when I was a kid but that was it. I'm starting to get back into it and I'm just like, I thought jets would break my account but it's actually model cars that'll do it!

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread. 

Yes, they are the older Fujimi issue and are great. I have used them for out-of-box and the basis for several conversions in the future. 

Aftermarket decals are all over the place. Buy and enjoy...

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010073-3.jpg

P1010080-2.jpg

I must have about 6 in the stash for other GT-40 projects.

Yes, the #2 car is a later tail treatment than the other two. I did use the GT-40 kit for all three of these but with resin aftermarket bodies.

These are the only Gulf livery I have finished...

P1010004.jpg

P1010094.jpg

Edited by Allan31
  • 4 months later...

I was working on one last year. The Revell kits are nice since for awhile you could acquire them for less than the Fujimi originals. Only differences were the decals provided, which were Revell printed instead of Fujimi. I am about halfway done with a #98 Miles/Ruby Daytona 24 winner. But you can't do that car out of the box as it had a few minor differences from the Le Mans car. Plus the Revell issued the kit body with the Gurney bulge. The cars that Ken Miles drove never had the bulge, but finding one of the Fujimi boxings without the bulge is very difficult. Deletion of the bulge from the roof is not difficult if you are careful and it is not hollow underneath, so it just needs to be ground flat.

Doing the Daytona cars are a bit more problematic though as they had a few differences. On mine, after taking off the bulge, I added a bulge to the right fender (which was done because the right side tire was bottoming out on the high banks), modified the nose hatch splitter and relocated the fuel filler from the right side to the left side of the car (subsequently filling the filler opening on the right side). Only other thing I did after this photo was taken was to remove the aux air scoops from the engine cover since the Daytona cars didn't have those either. A set of proper markings from Indycals is also recommended due to some color issues and there is a vendor that does GT-40 conversion bits on eBay for the 66 Daytona cars. So you can order that if you don't wish to do the mods youself like I did. That nose splitter is the biggest challenge of this modification.

817692088_KenGT401.jpg

• 2 years later...

Thunder Vally Miniatures did a conversion kit for the GT40 Mk 1 to be used with the Fujimi/Revell kit.

Incredibly nice body and engine bits and pieces, but for some reason they left out the intake stacks!  I've often thought about getting a more up to date aftermarket engine kit for the GT40, does anyone make on in 1/24?  Or at the very least a set of 48 IDA Weber's for the V8?

IMG_6923.JPG

IMG_6924.JPG

Edited by BWDenver
update