Hobbyboss 1/48 Su-34 vs. Kittyhawk 1/48 Su-34?

Neither is great, but the Kitty Hawk is the best.

I've enjoyed the Kitty Hawk building so far, but lots of errors in the instructions.

Some basics to watch in the Kitty Hawk kit:

1) Attach the intakes prior to assembling the fuselage halves.

2) Many parts in the ejection seats don't have receiving pins, but build up really nicely with only a small amount of effort.

3) The HUD may be too tall to fit under the canopy.  Mine was okay, but I shaved the base of the plastic base that holds the HUD.

4) The small intakes on each side of the spine show installation after the fuselage halves are together.  They need to be put on before the fuselage halves are together.

5) The engine mounts are strange, they have extra pins or don't align correctly.

Really study the instructions and you should be safe.

There's a Su-34 building group on FB that has lots of helps.

Edited by Jonathan S
2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

I've enjoyed the Kitty Hawk building so far, but lots of errors in the instructions.

2) Many parts in the ejection seats don't have receiving pins, but build up really nicely with only a small amount of effort.

3) The HUD may be too tall to fit under the canopy.  Mine was okay, but I shaved the base of the plastic base that holds the HUD.

4) The small intakes on each side of the spine show installation after the fuselage halves are together.  They need to be put on before the fuselage halves are together.

5) The engine mounts are strange, they have extra pins or don't align correctly.

I have copied and pasted these into a doc so I have them when I start mine. Thanks Jonathan S!

2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to have the link to the said FB Group?

The Kitty Hawk is far superior in shape, costs less, includes a lot of stores and with patience, builds into a very nice example of the Su-34. The Facebook group is of help and some of the modellers on there have built some stunning Fullbacks.

Agree i have multiple of both and ill be building the KH kit..the new KH boxing with brass gear legs and burners is brilliant.

KH nailed the nose shape and blend into the cockpit etc.

A very good effort grab the release with the metal legs they are great...

Edited by dehowie
On 4/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, dehowie said:

Agree i have multiple of both and ill be building the KH kit..the new KH boxing with brass gear legs and burners is brilliant.

An very goid effort grab the release with the metal legs they are great...

Does the kit build to weigh too much for the normal legs?

13 hours ago, CWILL1117 said:

Does the kit build to weigh too much for the normal legs?

Not at all. Mine weighs 0.6 lbs (0.272 kg ) with 2 resin KAB-1500 bombs, 2 resin R-77 and resin wheels.  

On 4/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, dehowie said:

An very goid effort grab the release with the metal legs they are great...

So, you have a Kitty Hawk boxing of the Su-34 that actually shipped with the new metal gear? or did you buy the metal gear separately?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of any colored PE being in the works for the Kitty Hawk kit? There is plenty of PE for the Hobby Boss kit, but virtually nothing for the Kitty Hawk, which I find strange. I know most here prefer resin cockpits or just painting up the kit one if good enough, but I like my colored cockpit PE and it surprises me that the usual suspects, Eduard and Dream Model, have ignored the KH kit thus far.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Has anyone heard of any colored PE being in the works for the Kitty Hawk kit? There is plenty of PE for the Hobby Boss kit, but virtually nothing for the Kitty Hawk, which I find strange. I know most here prefer resin cockpits or just painting up the kit one if good enough, but I like my colored cockpit PE and it surprises me that the usual suspects, Eduard and Dream Model, have ignored the KH kit thus far.

Mark, have you tried fitting the HB set to the KH?

57 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Mark, have you tried fitting the HB set to the KH?

Nope. Don't want to spend the money on the HB set if I don't know it will fit. If push comes to shove I may get the Zoom set as it is cheaper. I really wish that Dream Model would make a set. The colors they use are closer to the real thing. Eduard are notoriously off.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up. They had four in stock. Just grabbed one. Looks real nice. A little concerned that it is for both the Kitty Hawk and the Hobbyboss kits. Hopefully there will be no fit issues.

P.S. Looks like they have some nice new sets for the Kitty Hawk Su-35 too. Those will have to wait. Gots no more moneys. :crying2:

Edited by Mstor
30 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Thanks for the heads up. They had four in stock. Just grabbed one. Looks real nice. A little concerned that it is for both the Kitty Hawk and the Hobbyboss kits. Hopefully there will be no fit issues.

P.S. Looks like they have some nice new sets for the Kitty Hawk Su-35 too. Those will have to wait. Gots no more moneys. :crying2:

The website shows it installed on the Kitty Hawk Su-34, so I think we'll manage.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

The website shows it installed on the Kitty Hawk Su-34, so I think we'll manage.

As usual, I miss the obvious :doh:

I really like that they got the two canopy fans. I was wondering how I was going to manage scratch building those. They are such a prominent and visible feature.

• 2 weeks later...