Hobbyboss 1/48 Su-34 vs. Kittyhawk 1/48 Su-34?

Good luck with getting those curtain rails (parts 17 and 18) to conform - and glue - to the INSIDES of the curved cockpit glazing...:woot.gif:

The set looks quite comprehensive - but tricky to apply - especially those curved etched parts.

Happy Flankering.

Ken

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Good luck with getting those curtain rails (parts 17 and 18) to conform - and glue - to the INSIDES of the curved cockpit glazing...:woot.gif:

The set looks quite comprehensive - but tricky to apply - especially those curved etched parts.

Happy Flankering.

Ken

The brass is very thin and perhaps a touch of annealing will be in order. But you are right Ken, this will be a hold the breath moment so we don't mess up a canopy. A dip in future will be in order with the proper "no fume" super glue.

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

The brass is very thin and perhaps a touch of annealing will be in order. But you are right Ken, this will be a hold the breath moment so we don't mess up a canopy. A dip in future will be in order with the proper "no fume" super glue.

Some of those parts are supposed to represent long tube structures. I am thinking about trying to replace them with plastic tubing. Never thought PE was very good at representing wires or tubes, pipes, hydraulic rams, etc.

The runners for the blinds is actually a sort of channel section with quite a large groove for the ends of the blind......

su-34_063.jpg

I would have thought resin would better represent it?

Note also the curved blind  laying folded on top of the coaming - I don't think this is represented at all??

I did mine in 1/72 using plastic card 'arches'.......

su-34_061.jpg

Here's another view of the real thing......(without the coaming-top blind)

Real%20007.JPG

Ken

Here's the parts I was referring to. You can see a large hydraulic cylinder and two smaller rods to each side.

LIVJ8l

BTW, anyone know where one can find cockpit pics from the Su-34? They seem to be rather scarce. Besides this one, I have found only three or four other decent pics.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, most of those were from an early demonstrator, but there were a few real nice closeup screen grabs of a production airframe.

I never checked Pinterest. That site drives me nuts :suspicious:

4 hours ago, Zactoman said:

There are some pretty good cockpit shots in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659XmZZZYgk

:cheers:

Thanks Zactoman. I think most of the cockpit pics I have are screen grabs from that video. I grabbed a few more. Would be nice if the Russians would let someone do a "walkaround" of the cockpit.

The latter - just a flask.

You can see it in the video that Zactoman posted - at 6:55.

The back story is that it was rumoured for years that the Su-34 had a full sit-down toilet in a compartment behind the crew seats.

This photo did the rounds as proof that it existed....

02_day01_19.jpg

The photo appeared on various - mainly Chinese - websites captioned as the 'Su-34 Toilet'.

The photo is actually MINE - taken in 2002 at Star City near Moscow - showing the toilet from the MIR space station.

It was lifted from my web page here........ and became 'proof' that the Su-34 had a sit-down loo.

Ken

10 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

The back story is that it was rumoured for years that the Su-34 had a full sit-down toilet in a compartment behind the crew seats.

02_day01_19.jpg

The photo appeared on various - mainly Chinese - websites captioned as the 'Su-34 Toilet'.

The photo is actually MINE - taken in 2002 at Star City near Moscow - showing the toilet from the MIR space station.

It was lifted from my web page here........ and became 'proof' that the Su-34 had a sit-down loo.

Ken

LOL I too fell for that... I swear I thought I'd seen a picture of the toilet and I was literally about to say "Yea, it's a toilet" in this thread.

23 hours ago, Flankerman said:

02_day01_19.jpg

Ken

Thank you for something definitive.  I always figured was the case as the cockpit door half opened into the nose gear wheel bay.  Didn't think this door could be opened during flight so figured no room for a sit down toilet.

Again, for all you Su-34 builder fans on Facebook, check out our build group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/284617025599276/

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Very nice. I wonder where one can purchase these?

I think you have to go direct with them. Also, I did communicate with them a  month or 2 ago and asked them about cockpit and/or pylons for the kitty hawk kit. The individual who replied said they would "think about it". In the meantime of course we now have the Metallic Details cockpit items. It would still be nice to see others develop more product for the Kitty Hawk and it looks like Tempmodels have the expertise to make that happen if they choose to do so.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I think you have to go direct with them. Also, I did communicate with them a  month or 2 ago and asked them about cockpit and/or pylons for the kitty hawk kit. The individual who replied said they would "think about it". In the meantime of course we now have the Metallic Details cockpit items. It would still be nice to see others develop more product for the Kitty Hawk and it looks like Tempmodels have the expertise to make that happen if they choose to do so.

Thanks. Definitely will get the pods once I clear up cash flow issues (I've been a bad boy this last month :whistle:). I agree with you, need more "stuff" for the KH Su-34. I know many don't like them, but I'd like some color PE for the cockpit. I dread trying to hand paint instrument panels.