ARC Discussion Forums

ya-gabor

Eduard MiG-21F, MiG-21 U,US,UM in 48th scale

There was an interesting comment from Mr. Sulc on a Czech Modelforum cz last night.

As far as my translating program shows it what he was saying something like :

. . .there are plans for MiG-21F, 21U, 21US and 21UM in 48th scale of course.

Before anyone rushes to the local model shop or starts clicking at internet shops, the time span of this vague hint is fairly wide. Based on current works at Edu it could be several years unfortunately.

We will see, but at least Mr. Sulc is not categorically refusing the option for these kits as in the past.

If he is at Moson tomorrow I will certainly ask few questions about this.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, please ask Mr.Sulc too do

a MiG-19 and a MiG-15 in 1/48th scale.  Thank you. 

Brad

Hi Brad,

If he is there I will have many questions to him including the controversial question about that completely wrong marking for Red 12 Me-109G-10 which started an argument leading to my life long ban from another forum.

Actually part of your question was answered yesterday by Mr. Sulc. The upscale of the MiG-15 to 48th is also in the plans. So this could be a good news for you. Actually he has been saying this for years now. The real NEWS with all capital letters was the mention of the MiG-21F-13 and the twoseater trainers.

As to the MiG-19 it is a strange question and one that was asked of him by many other, mainly local modellers. But this includes a lot of other wish list kits. I don’t think there is really a point in going into that. But I will ask him, IF HE IS THERE.

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

If he is there I will have many questions to him including the controversial question about that completely wrong marking for Red 12 Me-109G-10 which started an argument leading to my life long ban from another forum.

Hi Gabor,

I know this is the jet forum, but can you tell me some more about this issue? Maybe via PM.

Thanks,

Thomas

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The real NEWS with all capital letters was the mention of the MiG-21F-13 and the twoseater trainers.

As to the MiG-19 it is a strange question and one that was asked of him by many other, mainly local modellers. But this includes a lot of other wish list kits. I don’t think there is really a point in going into that. But I will ask him, IF HE IS THERE.

Best regards

Gabor

Actually, that is also news of yesteryear... 

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Hi Gabor,

I know this is the jet forum, but can you tell me some more about this issue? Maybe via PM.

Thanks,

Thomas

The kit gives the number as Yellow 12 based on JaPo book. Sorry they got it wrong, according to research by historians it was Red 12. While there are no colour photos available there is a well known and documented FW-190 standing next to ex-Hungarian Me-109 and it is known that it was at one time Red 7 which had smaller Yellow 11 appllied over/next to it. So we have both colours for comparison with the Hungarian ac number colour on one single photo under same conditions in excellent quality. It is 99% that the Me-109G-10 is Red 12. The Edu decal is wrong also in shape of the number, shape and proportions of Hungarian national marking and painting instruction.

The purely historic reasons for Red number are too long to get into here. That one single photo is very convincing! 

Sorry for the off-topic. Lets go back to the MiG's. Tomorrow :))))

Best regards

Gabor

On 4/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, B.Sin said:

Gabor, please ask Mr.Sulc too do

a MiG-19 and a MiG-15 in 1/48th scale.  Thank you. 

Brad

Hi Brad,

Back from the Moson 2019 show. Well, in the end I did not have the chance to ask Mr. Sulc about anything. Simple, he was not at the show with only the sales team at Moson. So sorry no information on this, apart from the one given before about the MiG-15.

Still the Moson show was great but it involved a lot of work and lots of travel. With the alarm clock going off little after 4 AM each day, it was a “long” and tiring weekend (with some 650 km travel) so more on the Show and some of the “hostages” that I took later in the week. :))

Best regards

Gabor

On 4/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, Thomas said:

Thanks Gabor!

You are welcome!

I am sorry that the kit turned out as it did in the end. Another opportunity missed . . .

I know that several people are already working on producing the right decals independently from the kit manufacturer, they have to correct many mistakes on those Hungarian markings. 

The Me-109G-10 kit and thoe questionable markings were the subject of a lot of discussions this weekend at Moson. People, modellers from all over Europe were here, well not only Europe but the whole world so it was an opportunity for some very lively exchange of ideas!

Best regards

Gabor 

Back to the early MiG 21's.  Yes when the initial kit, the MF was released there was talk that someday an F-13 would be done.    Always thought that an interesting dual combo for Eduard would be their Mirage and MiG-21 together.  

Remember that the 48th scale kit was released, what is it in 2010 or 2011. The plans for it started year or two in advance so it is by now more than a decade old. A lot, and I mean a hell of a lot of time has passed since then! Unfortunately a lot has changed in many respects including company plans / priorities / preferences and in this line the early F-13 and the two-seaters have faded into the unknown foggy future. They were the last and least likely projects in that line of Fishbeds.

The recent quote from Mr. Sulc is very surprising and an interesting wake up of this project from long term hibernation. I believe it when I see it, there are lot of other projects going on in Obrnice which have priority so we should wait and see.

I have to remind that while there is a considerable commonality between different versions (MF, SMT, PF, PFM, R) the MiG-21F-13 sticks out completely. Basically you have to produce a whole kit on its own with all new sprues. This is a very big investment from the company!!! 

As for the two-seater versions. The early MiG-21U (Type 66) and the late MiG-21UM (Type 69) are once again very different, where one has to produce brand new wings, fuselage, top fuel tank, vertical fin and most of the other parts as they are once again different. The in-between MiG-21 US is not such a big problem only some changes there.

In the end what you end up is an investment into 2.5 complete new kits with all the sprues and everything.

In comparison what did you have with the MF, SMT, bis and the other kits. Basically only new fuselage and wings and one sprue changed from the 8 sprues. So with minimal investment Edu was able to produce new versions one after the other using 6 common sprues for each of them.

The F-13 and the U/US/UM is far more costly with full investment into each and it has to be justified by returns at the other end.  

Lets see what will happen.

Best regards

Gabor

I got some disappointing news about Eduard's MiG-19. It will be a re-boxed Trumpeter kit with options to do both versions and wilol concentrate on the Czech variant S-105. That is very disappointing. However I do not know if the MiG-21F-13 and the UM/UB will also be. I hope not since the Trumpy MiGs are no better than the old Academy kits with the same and sometimes worse shape mistakes. If I had to guess, I will say that those two will be new since trees from the previously released 21s can be used. Fortunately I still have in my stash a resin fuselage set from the HiPM kit which can be married to the usable parts from Academy or Trumpeter. I don't think that there is any way to really fix the Trumpy early MiG-21F. Short of kitbashing that kit with the back half of either an Eduard, KP or OEZ kit. That can also be done for the 21U.