Eduard MiG-21F, MiG-21UM & MiG-15 in 48th scale

On 7/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, mario krijan said:

Two seater is not made in such high numbers like MF or bis, so who cares.

There were 1133 MiG-21UMs produced....Add the U and US and you approach 1700 aircraft. A lot of kits out there of aircraft with a very tiny production run, wel below 1133.....

Also, I believe most if not all airforces operating the M/MF/bis operated the UM. So a very wide variety of colour schemes available for us modellers to reproduce 🙂

But I can wait till 2023, and then I'll take ten please 🙂

On 7/5/2021 at 4:11 AM, ya-gabor said:

I did say it is all a question of taste!!! For some only the kit is important, for others the whole package, but I know people who buy kits based only on box-art . . .

Is it a long analysis of the box-art?

And is it bashing company or the kit?

There are people who simply post on forums that: This kit is rubbish, or That company and its products are trash. They don’t give any explanation, reason and what is more important proof of what they say. They only express their opinion or taste for this or that.

This is bashing for no reasons given!

I like to show in detail (and in text) what my reasons are for the given opinion and explain the technical details. This way modellers can make up their own mind based on the explanation. I don’t want to force my taste on anyone, just show what the real aircraft looks like and where did the maker (or in this case the artist Adam Tooby) go wrong.

You Sakai have your own opinion, that is fine with me.

Few points:

Actually concerning the Tempest box-art Mr. Sulc has said that:

„Well, it's not that bad, . . .

You say:

Eduard said clearly that they're trying something new.

The NEW part of the story is the overall DESIGN of all Eduard boxes AND NOT THE ART WORK! Here in case of this re-release of MiG-21bis the questions raised by me were about the actual artwork on top of the box! It has NOTHING to do with the layout and design of the box!

Best regards

Gabor

It seems that you're reading, and then quoting, only what suits your argument. What Sulc also said is below.

Explain to me how can someone be working on changing their boxes' design ignoring box art? They've been trying different approaches to the box art for years. You should read modelforum more carefully especially when Czech is not your mother tongue (yes, I'm fluent in Czech).

Re: Dotaz na Eduard

Příspěvekod Vl.Šulc » pát črc 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Každý máme svůj vkus, ale že toho Tempesta Adam odflákl se shodneme.

Edited by sakai
  • 1 year later...

How many years has this been going on???

There was a news about Eduard doing the first generation MiG-21F-13 version, the “Jet Sports Plane” as many of its pilots referred to it. All this was back in spring of 2019, almost 4 years ago now. The CEO hinted about development works on this aircraft kit years earlier in personal conversations so it is far more than that. 

Here is what the CEO had to say on a Czech forum about the MiG-21F-13 kit in 48th scale. (Google translate so there could be some minor “mistakes” in it)

I expect EFko  (as they refer to MiG-21F-13) to be ready sometime around the turn of the year (end of 2023, early 2024), and it's likely that we won't release it until after the New Year (2024). But it shouldn't last as long as we leave it until E-day 2024. Structurally, it's finished, now it's just being fine-tuned and shaped, it could go to technology by the end of winter. It's taking longer than I originally anticipated. I thought it would be a fairly simple conversion from PF, but it turned out differently. It is a brand new model. But it will be a very nice model, I think the wait will be worth it in this case.

This is the 48th scale F version, but what about the other MiG’s still missing from the line in smaller scale? Questions are constantly raised about the future of the 72nd scale revolution. The line was left unfinished after doing the two MF versions, the PFM and the PF. Many other later versions were promised but they never came in the past years.

If you ask me about the MiG-21bis, which was also promised so many times in 72nd scale, the guess would be at least 3-4 more years minimal in future but have to add: IF AT ALL.

First the reconnaissance MiG-21R should be released (for which most parts are there with the MF and PF/PFM kits) as well as the SMT. They are all only question of will from the company and not something else. The CEO did say last year that Eduard is mostly / mainly a quarter scale company, this statement clearly shows the “real” willingness for making all the remaining 72nd scale versions.

Life is short!

Best regards

Gabor

13 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

How many years has this been going on???

There was a news about Eduard doing the first generation MiG-21F-13 version, the “Jet Sports Plane” as many of its pilots referred to it. All this was back in spring of 2019, almost 4 years ago now. The CEO hinted about development works on this aircraft kit years earlier in personal conversations so it is far more than that. 

Here is what the CEO had to say on a Czech forum about the MiG-21F-13 kit in 48th scale. (Google translate so there could be some minor “mistakes” in it)

I expect EFko  (as they refer to MiG-21F-13) to be ready sometime around the turn of the year (end of 2023, early 2024), and it's likely that we won't release it until after the New Year (2024). But it shouldn't last as long as we leave it until E-day 2024. Structurally, it's finished, now it's just being fine-tuned and shaped, it could go to technology by the end of winter. It's taking longer than I originally anticipated. I thought it would be a fairly simple conversion from PF, but it turned out differently. It is a brand new model. But it will be a very nice model, I think the wait will be worth it in this case.

This is the 48th scale F version, but what about the other MiG’s still missing from the line in smaller scale? Questions are constantly raised about the future of the 72nd scale revolution. The line was left unfinished after doing the two MF versions, the PFM and the PF. Many other later versions were promised but they never came in the past years.

If you ask me about the MiG-21bis, which was also promised so many times in 72nd scale, the guess would be at least 3-4 more years minimal in future but have to add: IF AT ALL.

First the reconnaissance MiG-21R should be released (for which most parts are there with the MF and PF/PFM kits) as well as the SMT. They are all only question of will from the company and not something else. The CEO did say last year that Eduard is mostly / mainly a quarter scale company, this statement clearly shows the “real” willingness for making all the remaining 72nd scale versions.

Life is short!

Best regards

Gabor

Probably because its not a WW2 fighter. I hate to sound cynical. But I guess thats where all the money is.

Edited by joeltc
7 hours ago, joeltc said:

Probably because its not a WW2 fighter. I hate to sound cynical. But I guess thats where all the money is.

Yes! It is a good point! But also the fact that the interest in MiG's was at its hight back in 1990 (with "openness" came all the right info to make good kits) all through 2010's. Now days it is on a backburner. WW2 is the thing for today.

The CEO did say somewhere last year that he likes to fall in love with subjects and then new love shows up. . .   like the Zero, the Mustang, the 109 . . .  The real love for the MiG-21 was more than 10 years ago and as we know love comes and goes. 

Yes, the money is in 48th scale kits and also in WW2. This is why that 72nd Revolution dwindled away somehow in the past few years. With all the economic problems around the world it is highly unlikely that something making less money and costing about the same in R&D will suddenly be reborn. 

Best regards

Gabor

4 hours ago, drake122 said:

I was saving up some Aztec modelling decals for 72nd scale Cuban Mig-21bis from future Eduard kit. I will now say there is no point and just build the Zvezda bis instead. Or find a resin conversion set for Eduard MF (if such thing exists).

Never say never!

The CEO did promise in the past that they will do it in 72nd scale. He did not say WHEN. It could be ANYYYY time in the future. : )  : )  : )

Unfortunately the 48th scale MiG-21F-13 story shows the time line of things. One can addapt it to other projects like the 72nd scale MiG's.

Best regards

Gabor

On 1/8/2023 at 5:49 PM, ya-gabor said:

Never say never!

The CEO did promise in the past that they will do it in 72nd scale. He did not say WHEN. It could be ANYYYY time in the future. : )  : )  : )

Unfortunately the 48th scale MiG-21F-13 story shows the time line of things. One can addapt it to other projects like the 72nd scale MiG's.

Best regards

Gabor

Today, Mr. Sulc wrote on modelforum that neither 72nd SMT, R, bis, or 48th UM will not be made this year. 

• 9 months later...

So here are the sprues for the planned and so many times delayed MiG-21 F-13 or Type 74. Well not actually all of them, since the sprue with the transparent parts is not shown, just as well as the weapons sprue. It is possible that the maker will simply include the general weapons sprue from earlier released 48 th scale versions. Here only the R-3S, UB-18 and small bombs would be applicable for the MiG-21 F-13. And even the UB-18 have a different nose section.

As to the release of the kit there are absolutely no surprises, once again it is delayed by a year to late 2024. . .  

These first images of the sprues provide some clues of the features in this kit if it will ever materialize.

What you will get as a standard are flaps, which you can show in up or in extended position, pitot tube in operational position or lifted up for regular storage (to avoid someone getting pierced by it), canopy in up or in down position, forward air brakes in extended or closed position, just as with the main air brakes. The NR-30 cannon can be displayed in two ways, either only the visible part when the airbrake is open or with full gun bay.

As usual the cockpit has side panels, consoles and instrument panels both with “naked” surface and with engraved details. Obviously there will be both decal and photoetch versions of instrument faces.  

The area behind the cockpit is far more elaborate than what the company is showing in released images. Even Modelsvit managed to get it more detailed in the much smaller 72nd scale. No surprise here, the Czech versions had this area covered with a metal sheet, so it was not really possible for designers to have a closer look at this area with criss-cross of all sorts of tubes and wires. Apart from the Czech versions all other users had a clear plexi cover showing all the fine details inside!  

Which version can be built from the kit? Mainly late MiG-21 F-13 Type 74’s and the Czech license produced version. The kit is not suitable for early production MiG-21 F-13 Type 74’s, early MiG-21 F-13 Type 74’s which inherited the narrow fin from Type 72, and of course the early twin cannon MiG-21 F-13 Type 72’s.

One “innovation” is that the designer taken over some ideas from Modelsvit in making a unified intake ducting with side walls of the nose undercarriage bay.

Here are the sprues and a little explanation of what some of those blurry images actually are.

69565af.jpg

LcrjReo.jpg

HJgSlKB.jpg

97qt0Wy.jpg

iEvBNmu.jpg

dEDvEs9.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 1 month later...

The question of the 48th scale MiG-15 has surfaced again. 

Only something that has already happened is what can be believed to be true!

The story of the Czech MiG-15 in 48th scale has been floated around by the company ever since they produced the 72nd version and that has been around some ten years now. I remember in 2019 at Moson (which was 4 years ago) the company boss was already speaking as a fact and well advanced about this project. (Almost the same can be said again as in the post from 2019 on the previous page here)

What is the reality of it? Well, one should take a look at the past few years of kit releases, changes in production plans and subject choices. It is obvious that there is a very limited production capability at this company which has to be very carefully balanced between kits which actually do make money. They are primarily quarter scale kits, mostly of WW2 subjects and all this is aimed at the biggest market which is US. So you have a line of Mustangs (still not finished), line of Me 109’s (still not finished), Zero’s (still not finished), family of MiG-21’s (still not finished), Spitfires, Wildcats . . .  To add to all of this now there is a new love with the numerous versions of P-40 which has priorities, Stukas, Hurricanes . . .  One has to find precious time both with kit designer department, tool makers, production injection moulding capabilities . . . All this in a very small company where new kit projects are pushed all the time, year after year into the uncertain future.

All in all will the quarter scale MiG-15 be released before 2030???? So don’t hold your breath!

There is a lot of “games” played by kit companies in the background which most often aimed at influencing / deterring both other makers as well as the modellers. A perfect recent example is the ClearProp showing the MiG-23 kit CAD details fairly quickly brought about an announcement by ICM that they are doing a “whole family of Floggers”. As it turned out to be it was a form of “influencing” others, steering a bit of a storm in a tea cup and nothing more!!! Obviously companies want (would like) to grab as much of the market slice as they can and deter modellers from buying other makers products so they announce fiction. Also suggesting to other producers “we are doing it” so you should consider not doing the same!

Also one should not turn a blind eye to a recent article by the same company which suggests some serious down turn in sales of plastic kits by this company which will most certainly affect future kit releases. Don’t forget projects which have been developed well further of the point of no return. The cancelation of the 48th scale S-199 (Czech Me 109) or the Blanik glider has just been confirmed.

What will this kit be like? Which version will it be? The companies 72nd scale MiG-15 is a version produced in Czechoslovakia and not the main production from the Soviets. They are not the same! The surfaced illustration shows an example with RATO bottles attached to it, which was one of the Czech versions and not used by anyone else.

0T72wdW.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

• ya-gabor changed the title to Eduard MiG-21F, MiG-21UM & MiG-15 in 48th scale
  • 2 weeks later...

The 1/48 Mezek and the BLanik was planed for this years release. This was cancelled. 

I am sure all the effort and investment so far into this two projects will not be wasted! With time they should be released, but now is not the time according to the boss. More profitable projects are made right now. 

When will the Mezek and Blanik be made is the 1 mill $ question. 

Best regards

Gabor 

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so we turned into 2024 and a short list of things to come was shown in the latest January issue of the companies newsletter. We have brand new early Mustang, Albatros, the new love the P-40, lots of Me 109’s, there will be a F-5E, B-17, B-26 and many other kits. But what about the kits which go silently into history without materializing.

Promises, promises, promises . . .  There is a standard kit manufacturers strategy of giving hints, sneak previews, clues of things to come simply to “break down competition” that is discourage them from doing something similar. Standard procedure, sometimes works, sometimes it doesn’t.

The early MiG-21 F-13 (or Type74) has once again been put on ice for who knows how long. Last time around there was a promise of having it by the end of the year. (Which year exactly???) Then again it was supposed to be ready for E Day 2024 or for Christmas. Everything else is taking priority over the Fishbed. So one more year.

If ever!!!

Here is a comment from the boss from yesterday. I only added my comment BUT NOT IN 2024!!!! Again!

Promises are for something very special, but it was the same almost ten years ago!

O0J2AlJ.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

What evidence do you have for “BUT NOT IN 2024”?  

I would invite you to become a kit manufacturer and see how well you keep to your schedule.  I would much rather wait a little longer for a quality product, any day of the week.

On 1/7/2024 at 9:12 AM, Illu said:

I would invite you to become a kit manufacturer and see how well you keep to your schedule.  I would much rather wait a little longer for a quality product, any day of the week.

giphy-63165308.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 10:12 AM, Illu said:

Yeah, Gabor is an "armchair general", talking and talking and talking not understanding that world can go on another year or two without Eduard's 1/48  Mig-21F-13. Many nice kits will be released before though by Eduard. None by "Gabor Company (very) limited" Im afraid.

Armchair expert? Yes, you can say in a way! But . . .

From an armchair (which actually has no arms) it is easy to read all the comments / announcements by the producer which provides details / plans for future releases. You can do it also. Good luck in reading all of it!

But in my case it also involves personal connection with many manufacturers, knowing decision makers, involves speaking to them on regular basis. . . be it here in Europe or faraway places. As an aviation journalist this is part of my work. Not sitting in an armchair and fantasizing but putting the question directly to the ones who actually make the decision. Of course you don’t have to believe me and please feel free to hold your breath till the kit is released.   

Armchair? It was sitting in front of my computer in an armchair that I have designed for G.W.H. several kits including Su-35 or Su-27. But had to get out of the armchair and more than a decade ago go to Moscow several times to take details of the actual aircraft as a reference for a great kit. Why design from an armchair? Simple, the kit maker is thousands of kilometre away.

Armchair expert? The problem is that just few meters from my armchair are real 1/1 scale ejection seats from my wast collection, so when I comment on the AMMO new MiG-17 kit, or Eduard resin Lockheed C-2 seat I simply take few steps and look at the REAL seat, measure it, take it apart . . . to know what it is like in real life and compare it to manufacturers fictions. Yes, you can say it is an armchair opinion.  : )   : ) but with a twist in this case.

My own company? Yes, I had an aftermarket Co. before most people reading this were even born! At the same time was designing for other manufacturers also both in those prehistoric times, just as now. If one looks at instructions of all sorts of companies, you will see my name mentioned on them for obvious reason.

Of course time will show when we see actual plastic in our hands, be it a 48th MiG-15 or MiG-21F-13 or lets not forget the almost forgotten 72nd scale MiG-21bis. How many years have they been promised???

Further up on this page what you had from me is simply an up-date on the present situation, it is a news of sorts, but once again you don’t have to believe me. Do your own research, I have done my work.  

Best regards

Gabor