1/35 KH MH-60L "Super 63"

Finally after years of wanting to know information about my friend Joe Pascetti's bird he crewed down in Mogadishu-Super 63, I have been able to befriend many crew chiefs and pilots who were there and was given many pics of OGS and their MH-60L's.

So tonight I finally started building it. First I had to correct the instrument panel and center console to represent close to what they looked like on the real MH-60L. The caution/advisory panel is located on the bottom left of the console on the real thing.

KH's panel, though very nice, represents a later year panel and has the CA on the instrument panel itself.  So I took and cut down and sanded the Academy part and shaved off the detail on the console and glued it in place.  

Next i shaved off the detail on the KH IP and replaced it with some PE detail parts from Airscale. 

20190429_022712_zpsylkpqgjk.jpg

That's it for now!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
On 5/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, hawkwrench said:

Oliver, I'm trying, but I have a screwed up work schedule that leaves me little time here and there for modeling.

Tim

Wanna me to call your boss and tell him you need different schedule and time for modeling....lol

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more work on the console.  I added the parking brake handle and the chaff dispenser. Just waiting on some Archer rivets to make a  circuit breaker panel and I'll be done. 

20190517_021134_zpswgduz7oz.jpg

20190517_021114_zpsydtitwgc.jpg

Tim

Hi! I've been scouring online for someone who is also building the new KH kit (I assume KH50005?) and really looking forward to following your build as I get along with mine. I won't be going into quite as much detail as you, though, as my Black Hawk knowledge is much, much more limited.

I'm still in the preparation phase and there's one thing I can't seem to get my head around... I intend to use the resin figures, and one of these figures is the M-134 door gunner, but from what I can see the gunners' seats are facing the wrong direction? The kit would have you install them with their backs to the cockpit, but shouldn't they be facing out the windows?

1 hour ago, otis252 said:

Does the KH MH-60L kit have the stub wing covers to use if you build it without the wings? Thanks.

Chuck

It depends on the boxing.  The original boxes sent out to distributors did not have them.  The later ones included them once the omission was pointed out.  If you get one w/out them, contact Sofia Lynm at KH to get replacements sent to you.

Sofia:  sophialynm@gmail.com

Hey hawkwrench! Sorry to bother you again, but I was just wondering about the console. Super 63, which you are building, has the command console, yes? How does that differ from the others which did not have it? The kit would have you build the large array at the rear of the console, would that be accurate if I were building Super 61?

Thanks!

That large array on the back of the center console is mainly used for the ESSS fuel system as far as I know. It could have some extra avionics/defensive countermeasure equipment.

Super 63's console is called the C2 (Command & Control) console. It's basically an airborne commander's way of communicating with units and personnel. 

There are hardly any pics of the console on the internet and I've found none of a 160th console. (Probably for a reason).

Super 61 did not have the large console array. It just had the standard center console.

Tim 

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Yeah, I've found several great shots of the IP/cockpit area but every image cuts out just where that part of the console begins. I'll just go with the kit piece then. Thanks for the clarification, though! Can't wait to see how you do your Super 63.

Hi  Hawkwrench,  I have a flight crew question. Was the color of the pilots and crew chiefs flightsuit's tan/sand color or were they camouflaged during Operation Gothic Serpent?

Thanks,

Dave