RLM 72/73 (AK Real Color

So I just got a couple of bottles of AK's Real Color in RLM 72 and 73. Although the paints spray beautifully the colors do not look right at all. Doesnt one of them need to be somewhat grey-ish? Can anyone comment on the accuracy of said paint(s)? 

Looking at Eagle Editions RLM color chips, RLM 72 has a very slight brown/gray tinge and RLM 72 has a slight blueish tinge.  The hue is very subtle and under normal lighting really does not show.  Strong sun light will bring out the hue.  Keep in mind, that this is my interpretation of what I am looking at.  HTH, Dave

4 hours ago, HistnScale said:

Looking at Eagle Editions RLM color chips, RLM 72 has a very slight brown/gray tinge and RLM 72 has a slight blueish tinge.  The hue is very subtle and under normal lighting really does not show.  Strong sun light will bring out the hue.  Keep in mind, that this is my interpretation of what I am looking at.  HTH, Dave

Thanks for the info. Any chance you could provide me a screen shot of those 2 color chips? 

Sorry, I currently do not have the capability to put up a pic.  I have not seen the AK colors but for model purposes, if you are looking at a dark green and a darker green, you are probably in the ball park.  I have used some of the AK late war Luftwaffe colors.  While I disagree with their designations for RLM 81 and RLM 83, the colors themselves are pretty close to some of the recognized color chips.  HTH, Dave.

1 hour ago, HistnScale said:

Sorry, I currently do not have the capability to put up a pic.  I have not seen the AK colors but for model purposes, if you are looking at a dark green and a darker green, you are probably in the ball park.  I have used some of the AK late war Luftwaffe colors.  While I disagree with their designations for RLM 81 and RLM 83, the colors themselves are pretty close to some of the recognized color chips.  HTH, Dave.

No problem. They're both "dark", but the darker one doesnt seem to have enough grey in it. I'll try to mix some colors. Luckily they mix perfectly with tamiya.... thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Recently used their RLM 74 - 75. In the bottle they seem ok, but are very controversal when airbrushed together side by side. Contrast between them is too distictive, compared to photos. And IMO 75 lacking its "violet" hue.