Best early Eagle kit for the new 1/48 Caracal sheet?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:27 AM, Charlie D. said:

I am by no means a rivet counter, but I found it a good read. lots of interesting stuff about the developmental program, including some earlier designs that led to the final configuration. 

Thanks, Charlie.

Sounds interesting, I will look out for a copy.

Along the lines of what Anders wrote, I think beautiful models could be built without being totally accurate.

In my case, if I get around to it, I have 1 Monogram Eagle in the stash. I'd go for the first prototype and mess with  the wingtips and the horizontal stabs. I would minimize what I do to the airbrake: I'd probably cut it in half to create the extra panel line, but I would probably not  attempt to backdate the surrounding area.

Cheers, Stefan. 

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

Years ago I built a 1/144 Eagle (Eaglette?) that had the square wingtips, maybe ARII or Crown...  I filed them off the the production shape.

Your post reminded me that I had built a 1:100th early Eagle with the squared wingtips.

I want to say it was Entex but I'm really not sure.

It was a wheels up only build, the bay doors were molded in place and it had a stand.

>>> I believe this might be the kit <<<

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
On 5/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, Charlie D. said:

81y9xBIRFpL.jpg

This is an excellent book on the early design and development of the F-15. Understand two things :  (1) it is not targeted at modelers and (2) it was published in 1978. It does have good info on early Eagles but is a historical book dealing with design studies from an engineering POV.  It does include full page diagrams of those zillions of  access panel decal locations.....

I'm still wondering if the F-15 receive the F-4 treatment in terms of small panel changes or not, I'll try to raid flickr  one of those days cause google search algorithm hit a newer low as in the past writing a bu/no with aircraft's name was enough to score a couple of pictures but right now thanks to those stupid marketeers in charge everything got screwed up.

Luigi

22 hours ago, adamitri said:

Does the hasegawa 1/48 Streak Eagle kit (09420) come with the instrument boom for the nose ?

Hi,

Yes, it does. It's a white metal part. Not as refined as the "Master" pitot tubes, but it's there. It's not too bad in the case of the boom, but the vanes are also white metal parts, so they're a bit thick.

I bought mine second-hand at a show, just wanting an F-15C.   

Cheers, Stefan.