Anyone know much about the M-36 cluster bomb?  Not much comes up with a google search. Does it go by another name?  Was it ever used?  Could it only dispense sarin gas?  I noticed the 1:48 eduard M-36 was on for a good price, but can I put it on anything?

Hi,

I've never seen it associated with Sarin gas. I believe it's a thermite bomblet dispenser.

You don't want to be near when it goes off. I remember reading it was a highly desirable item for use against the trucks on the Ho Chi Minh trail. It was also somewhat old (described as a Korean war item) and rare.

Good for B-57's, A26's, A-1's and black-bellied F-4's going to the trail.   

Cheers, Stefan.

14 minutes ago, Rob Mignard said:

If you google M35/M36 Cluster Bomb you’ll find lots of information, including resin examples in all three major scales.

Mig

I was hoping for more of the actual history and uses of rather than just model parts. Resin examples aren’t primary sources, and as such misinformation can always be moulded or cast.  Aside from the info from bullet-picker, there isn’t much useful coming up from the google search. I’d love to see some actual photos.

Edited by is it windy yet?
2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

I've never seen it associated with Sarin gas. I believe it's a thermite bomblet dispenser.

You don't want to be near when it goes off. I remember reading it was a highly desirable item for use against the trucks on the Ho Chi Minh trail. It was also somewhat old (described as a Korean war item) and rare.

Good for B-57's, A26's, A-1's and black-bellied F-4's going to the trail.   

Cheers, Stefan.

I figured it was used on the trail.  Strapping it on an A-1 or black bellied phantom will work for me. On the web I read that in 1973 the US began destroying stockpiles of M-36 with sarin gas. No idea if that is correct, but it is about all I could find. 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, Finn said:

A pair in the bay of a A-26:

A-26funnybombs.jpg

Jari

Man to things look like they have been dropped a few times.  What colour are they?  They look a mid to light grey to my eyes. I assume they are made from sheet metal, and not a plastic composite. 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, Finn said:

A pair in the bay of a A-26:

A-26funnybombs.jpg

Jari

Those are M31 (Napalm bomblets) or M32s (Thermite bomblets)--hard to tell as the M31 was only three inches shorter than the M32 and both were used on A-26As beginning in December 1967.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, is it windy yet? said:

I was hoping for more of the actual history and uses of rather than just model parts. Resin examples aren’t primary sources, and as such misinformation can always be moulded or cast.  Aside from the info from bullet-picker, there isn’t much useful coming up from the google search. I’d love to see some actual photos.

Available records (which may not be entirely accurate) indicate the M35 was carried internally by B-52s between February 1966 and July 1970. M36s were carried internally by B-52s and B-57Gs, and externally by F-4s and A-1s between November 1969 and November 1970.

7 hours ago, Finn said:

Here are a few, which variant i don't know, about to be loaded on a B-52:

11952.png

Jari 

The (gray) one in the foreground with the (purple) band between the suspension lugs is an M35. The (olive drab) ones farther away with the (yellow and red) bands closer to the nose are M36s.