Anyone else building the Roden 1/144 C-133?

Wow, poppop, what did they give you in your medications!  You have been a building animal!  Nice progress!  I think your adage of test fit, test fit, test fit, is true of almost all Roden kits.  

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 months later...

OK... I did not disappear completely.  Lots of distractions.  But progress continues slowly.

Remember I am building two of these.. the one I post pictures of is the first one and the test model if you will.  Lessons learned are being applied to number 2 as well.

Most of the time since my last post has been cleaning up seams, eliminating steps between parts (especially the forward and rear fuselage parts), rescribing, test fit, test fit, test fit.

I am modeling the plane in the picture in Cal Taylor's book on page 282... outside the hangar at Leopoldville, Congo.  Pilot was my friend Bob Ginn.

Aircraft appears to have International Orange markings and has the nice shiny new aluminum finish.  No white cap on the fuselage.

I am going to use Alclad Airframe Aluminum ... so the plastic has been sanded and polished with Micro Mesh up to 12000.  When you get a mirror like finish.. you are there.  You all know that even the slightest swirl or scratch will show through.  I have applied a base coat of Alclad Gloss Black on the underside of the wing as a test.

I have just completed the International Orange and the black deicing boots and exhaust panels on the port side.  Both are masked off in prep for the overall gloss black base coat.

I figured it was time to show the beat up beast before it hopefully looks like a near new C-133.

I would suggest priming, sanding, polishing the plastic before attaching the wings.  That is how number 2 is taking shape.  The nacelles get in the way of a easy finish when wings are attached.  If I have done enough sanding and test fitting, the wings should attach with minimal effort to eliminate the attach point seams.

The circular windows on the fuselage have been masked using Tamiya tape on very thin white plastic sheet and then Waldon's #3 punch (the #2 was used for the rearmost smaller window on both sides).

Hopefully this makes some sense.. over and out for now.

C-133 -1.jpg

The Caracal Decal instructions call for FS29813.  This is Fluorescent Red-Orange and is very close to the pictures I have.

However, only Testors makes a paint with that match (at least in my searches).  It is enamel. They have discontinued making it and it is out of stock everywhere I searched except Sprue Brothers.  I ordered one and it does look good.  Duh... I just checked Sprue Brothers website and they are now out of stock!

Testors and Vallejo makes one that is close.. FS28915 which is Fluorescent Red.. not the Red-Orange in FS29813.  If you have the FS paint chips you can check the difference..and paint4models.com is another source for comparison.

Good luck.. tell Testor's to get back in the game.

• 10 months later...