ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Poppop

Anyone else building the Roden 1/144 C-133?

I have run into an interesting problem with my Roden 1/144 C-133.  There is a 1mm gap between the top of the engine nacelle and the wing mounting point. 

There is a definite step in the wing attachment point.  I cannot identify anything I have done.. assume I just have to use some sheet filler to fix the issue.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Ugh, that's terrible to hear.  I have not started mine yet (too much on the bench at the moment) but I'm curious to hear more.  Please post some photos of your progress if you can.

-Derek

I have ordered one, but not received it yet.  Could the engine nacelles have possibly been a short shot?  Here is the parts breakdown on BritModeler.  Take and post photos for the rest of us please.  And thank you for being our guinea pig.

UPDATE:  My original post was based on the assembly of the starboard (right) wing and nacelles.... today I built the port (left) wing and voila.. the same nacelles fit near perfect.

I am stymied...I have checked the assembly of the starboard wing and it is correct.. both halves fit and aligned without a problem.  But there is still the 1mm gap at the top of both nacelles.  The natural assumption is that I screwed up somehow.. and might have, although there is very little to the assembly and highly unlikely.

So, I will use a sheet filler for the two gaps and wait to see if anyone else gets to this point in their build.. and then gap or no gap?  Now that I have both halves, the issue is a minor one.

If you have the interest... get the kit.  It does have a couple of challenges.. thick sprue attachments (tiny parts take a lot of care in removing) , soft plastic, etc... but overall it is a nice representation of this giant and important aircraft.

@Poppop

Please post soem photos of your progress.  We'd all love to see them!

R/ Dutch

I did not take photos prior to my post about the nacelles.  But here is a starboard wing before filling. Will post after filling next.

I will take some others of the build and post later.

Charlie

IMG_3802.jpg

Oh man, that's a nasty gap alright!  Thanks for posting these photos of your build, looking forward to seeing some more.

-Derek

What was causing the gap?  The way the parts are broken down, it should be pretty easy to get the mating surfaces to match up by filing/sanding them.

Not really.. the way the parts are designed it's only the very top of the nacelle that is causing the gap.  The rest of it does mate snug against the wing. 

As I mentioned, the nacelles mate snug all the way on the port wing. 

As you can see from the pictures, there is still filing required to get a completely smooth nacelle.