Hobby shops near Travis AFB?

No more hobby shops near the base, Nick’s Hobby Shop (formerly Don’s Hobby) closed up shop in the early 2000s. There is a gaming shop near the Michael’s store across from Solano Mall but not much model stuff.

The Loose Caboose would be a fun trip to make, just note that Bottle Rock will be happening on May 24-26 so expect lots of traffic in and out of Napa during those days. 

Don't know if it is still there, but a Ace hardware near Cal Berkeley had a hobby section in the basement,.a sight to see.

And in Sacramento there was Folsom hobbies. But that was years ago.

1 minute ago, markiii said:

Don't know if it is still there, but a Ace hardware near Cal Berkeley had a hobby section in the basement,.a sight to see.

And in Sacramento there was Folsom hobbies. But that was years ago.

ACE in Berkeley still has models. Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro is still around too.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:06 AM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Visited it today nice little store. Got a itaerli kc-135r for $60, and some paint I have never seen before.

Nice! Missed you by a day. I was in on the 3rd. And 2nd. 😉 I live in downtown Napa now.  Roy is a great guy and they stock some good stuff for a small shop. 

On 5/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, fulcrum1 said:

Sacramento has Viking Hobby and RC Hobbies. Neither is worth the drive. Loose Caboose is a stop on the way to the French Laundry for dinner. Food there is fantastic.

Viking is cool to visit if you're in town. It is a tiny hole in the wall store. RC Country is mostly what the name implies. Folsom Hobbies was great but shut down a couple of years ago or so. 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, picknpluck said:

ACE in Berkeley still has models. Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro is still around too.

I haven't been to Ace since they moved. But have been told it's a shell of what it used to be due to space restrictions.  Hobbies Unlimited is good but a little pricey.
San Antonio hobbies and D&J Hobbies in the south bay was a real shame to lose those.
Grew up in Concord there was some really nice shops there over the years. Centurion in Walnut Creek I really miss. Mike had a fantastic collection there.

Viking is a hole in the wall, but a cool shop and very friendly people. I used to make a trek to SAC twice a year from the bay area and hit up Riverside and Viking. Riversides owners retired awhile back and closed up, that was a great shop. 

I've never been disappointed visiting Viking. Seems like they sell consignment stuff, so I've found some cool stuff over the years, and almost always walk out with a handful of old modeling mags.

Haven't been in a few years, but as soon as the kids are old enough to make that drive I'll be doing it again.

McClellan has a nice museum, maybe make a trip and check out both. 

Loose caboose is a great shop! I really need to get over there more often.

Edited by Charlie D.