CD48165 - 1/48 OV-1 Mohawk

Kursad, have you ever considered making an OV-1 set for the Roden Mohawk?  We all know how crappy Roden decals are and most other aftermarket sets are sold out.  There are some guys over on hyperscale talking about the lack of OV-1 decals.  

What are are your thoughts?

corey

Edited by KursadA
25 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Great subject. I will buy a kit to get started. Any suggestions on good reference material?

Thanks Kursad, let me see what I have.  I could also loan you an early model Mohawk kit if you like.  Not sure though if you would need a late model kit too to do more modern (Desert Storm) decals.

corey

The kit decals are so awful that even straight replacements would be welcome. At the moment I am planning on using my own cut stencils given the lack of aftermarket available. I'd like markings for the JOV-1A  with the hi-viz Vietnam markings 🙂

Jon

I am looking to do these markings....

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.scottairs

Or these....

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/grumman-ov1-mohawk_15.jpg

1052574.jpg?v=v40

1040158.jpg?v=v40

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.mohawk926p

How about OV-1B prototype markings?

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fcraymond.no-ip

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by F-16

Kursad, I’ve been looking around through my published materials for OV-1 references, and coverage looks pretty sparse.  I emailed you an article from World Air Power Review.  That and the Squadron Walk Around and In Action books and a few odds and ends photos is about all I had.  Not much else available on Amazon.  Looks like the internet and museum archives might hold the best references.

any other forum readers have good OV-1 references?

corey

5 minutes ago, dekon70 said:

How about the DEA Operation Grass Catcher one?  I have never seen any pictures of it but there is an illustration of it in the squadron signal book.  Just throwing out ideas.

I thought that would be a cool subject too.

Sorry I'm late to the thread!  I was the one that started the topic at Hyperscale.

I'm looking for some 1/48th desert storm decals, and a full replacement sheet would be awesome!  I can scan the kit decals if it'd help

Also, here are some pictures (or rather links to pictures) of a couple I'm interested in.68-15953_2.jpg

17815945019_0f3ca89fc0_b.jpg64-14255_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Amazonchitlin said:

Sorry I'm late to the thread!  I was the one that started the topic at Hyperscale.

I'm looking for some 1/48th desert storm decals, and a full replacement sheet would be awesome!  I can scan the kit decals if it'd help

Also, here are some pictures (or rather links to pictures) of a couple I'm interested in.68-15953_2.jpg

17815945019_0f3ca89fc0_b.jpg64-14255_1.jpg

I like your two subject suggestions!

corey

I was just going over the Roden OV-1D decal sheet, and noticed that many decals are missing or not used. For example..

1. What happened to decals 5,6? These are the stencils for the weapon pylons in steps 22, 23. They are missing on the Roden sheet.
  2. There are many decals that are not used. (82, 83, 86, 87,91 and others) I assume decal 85 (Round target circles) are the fuel filler cap location for the external tanks? They are not mentioned in the stencil instructions
  3. The wing-walk decals are not that great. What we need is a walkway decal that is a solid gray color, not just a "outline".
  4. Rodens decal/stencil diagram does  not include a "bottom view". If you wanted to do the IDF version, they don't say where to put the national markings on the bottom of the wing.

I'm sure I will find more errors as I examine the sheet more closely.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I would be very interested in a sheet if Ken Lee's MiG killer aircraft is included. That would be a cool aircraft to have on display.

From my understanding however there's not much information available about the actual plane itself is that correct?

Ken Lee's specific aircraft flown on the MiG kill seems to be at present impossible to get documentation on.  I've read a quote from him saying that he cannot remember much about the aircraft such as aircraft number except for the armament they were carrying.  He stated that he cannot even remember the name of the observer on the mission.  Further he stated that he no longer has his log book.  Aircraft from that unit and time frame however can be found.  

• 3 weeks later...