AJSH-37 Viggen Correct Color Scheme

Hi All,

About to finish off my last few purchases for my Heller AJSH-37 Viggen (Master pitot, Maestro intakes and paint mask) in 1/72nd scale and think I might punish myself with the world-famous "Splinter scheme".  

Problem is, of ALL the color schemes I've looked at on-line, NONE seem to show the correct colors (at least not to my 60-year-old eyes!).  I would PAY one of our Swedish mates for a set of color swatches for the two greens, the tan, and the blue-gray used in the splinter scheme!  (I can pretty much figure out the Flat Black!). :-)

Any way, my question is, does ANYBODY out there know if the Hataka Viggen colors are correct before I lay down my l'argent for a set?  I'd hate to have to eye-ball the paints by mixing them but this project is on my old modeler's "Bucket List" before my modeler' s powers slowly vanish away!

Thanks,

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs
Grammar/punctuation error

If you´re going to put that much effort in your Viggen model, maybe you should spring for the new Special Hobby Viggen in 1/72 instead? It has more details and engraved panel lines. I bought the Tarangus JA 37 boxing this weekend, and it looks fairly nice in the box. Like a downscaled, but corrected and improved version of their 1/48 scale kit. As for colours I can´t help you. Last time I used a mix of Tamiya colours. Next time I think I´ll try the MRP paints.
Too bad this wasn´t posted before the weekend, since I spent it at the Swedish Air Force Museum, including its storage hangar. 🙂

The Tarangus boxing of the 1:72 kit has paint matches for Gunze/MrColor.  Can't recall what they were, and I didn't buy the kit.  I think the 1:48th scale kit has paint matches to the same paints, but I will have to check when I get home.  Unless someone else beats me to it:)

Thanks for the rapid replies, Gents.

Eric, I've had the old Heller kit of the Viggen for quite a while (at least 20yrs or so!) and ended up buying resin items from Top Gun, Dr. Pepper Resin, P J Resin and lately, Maestro.  When I was able to snag a set of very rare Flying Colours Decals, I jumped on that opportunity to give a fascinating plane the dignity she deserved by finally trying to paint the splinter scheme!  I also have the JA version with some resin up-grades and that scheme is ready to go!  Wished I had caught you earlier, a visit to the paint shop may have been VERY helpful! :-)

JackMan, I have in fact cheched all those sites (and Super Hobby is one of my top sources!) and some of the color info was specious, at best!  I ended up with about ten different color guides with only two matching exactly!  I love Humbrol and Gunze paints and will probably go with some sort of mixes of those IF the Hataka paints don't pan out!

Jenshb, got the info earlier and again from JackMan.

Appreciate you all, now I just need some learned opinions about the Hataka colors, hopefully from one of our experienced Swedish mates.

Many Thanks,

WARDOG

Glynn,

I have the Hataka paint set in question (buy from Rebelalpha on eBay) and can state the colors look very good. I have the only 2 recommended books on the subject, Nordic Air on the Viggen and the Squadron Walkaround and the colors look bang on. Are you going to use acrylic or lacquer?

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

MoFo,

What exactly are you trying to say? That I spent my money unwisely or that my choice in references was poor? In any event, the references are considered the best out there for the Viggen. What are you using, hmm? As for the colors, I stand by my claim that they look good in the bottle as I have not used them yet for this project. I have done some spraying with Hataka and can say that using an Eclipse works just fine. If you plan on using a Micron, well that's one way to waste an evening.. I also recommend Glynn look up Moose Republic decals as I bought a couple of sheets from him as no one else seems to have any good decals available and the Two Bobs sheet is long OOP. The Moose Decals owner sent me an official splinter scheme schematic via email but I had to promise not to share it online. I did have a choice for the masks as DN Models and Maestro both have Kabuki masks sets but had already bought the DN set but haven't checked the accuracy yet. I did see something online at modelling Madness that said the Maestro set wasn't accurate either in some spots so, there ya go.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

Edited by Chris the cabbie
10 hours ago, Chris the cabbie said:

MoFo,

What exactly are you trying to say? That I spent my money unwisely or that my choice in references was poor? In any event, the references are considered the best out there for the Viggen. What are you using, hmm? As for the colors, I stand by my claim that they look good in the bottle as I have not used them yet for this project.

I guess he ment the OP:s preference to use the Heller Viggen and all that extra resin instead of a brand new kit. I can relate to that. I mean, don´t we all have that kit for which we´ve also bought a ton of after market stuff, or maybe the kit is an expensive but poor resin kit. A kit that has since been replaced by a much better and easier to build kit that will look at least as good straight from the box. Now, the thing is, is it throwing good money after bad to buy the new kit, or is it a waste of effort to build the old kit? I am more of a "throw good money after bad" type of guy, who buys the newer, easier to build kit. But I have a lot of respect for the guys who stick to the old kit and make a fantastic model out of it.

The Nordic Air Power book is very nice. A lot of nice photos in that one. Never seen the Squadron book. Robert "Moose Republic" Bergwall is a very nice guy and his decals are top notch. 

/The guy who has an unfinished Academy/Legend Merkava IIID AND an unfinished Meng Merkava IIID kit in the stash..

8 hours ago, erik_g said:

I guess he ment the OP:s preference to use the Heller Viggen and all that extra resin instead of a brand new kit. I can relate to that. I mean, don´t we all have that kit for which we´ve also bought a ton of after market stuff, or maybe the kit is an expensive but poor resin kit. A kit that has since been replaced by a much better and easier to build kit that will look at least as good straight from the box. Now, the thing is, is it throwing good money after bad to buy the new kit, or is it a waste of effort to build the old kit? I am more of a "throw good money after bad" type of guy, who buys the newer, easier to build kit. But I have a lot of respect for the guys who stick to the old kit and make a fantastic model out of it.

The Nordic Air Power book is very nice. A lot of nice photos in that one. Never seen the Squadron book. Robert "Moose Republic" Bergwall is a very nice guy and his decals are top notch. 

/The guy who has an unfinished Academy/Legend Merkava IIID AND an unfinished Meng Merkava IIID kit in the stash..

I believe you are correct in what MoFo is referencing. I have an Su-22, reboxing of the old KP kit. I have TONS of aftermarket for it. Along came Kitty Hawk with their new kit. much more detailed. I bought it, but won't give up the other kit. Oh well...:dontknow:

Anyway, to bring this subject back on topic - I have MRP's colors for the splinter scheme. Has anyone used those and can comment on their accuracy?

Edited by Mstor
8 hours ago, erik_g said:

Now, the thing is, is it throwing good money after bad to buy the new kit,

You've got that backwards.  It would be throwing good money after bad to spend more money on upgrades for the old kit, rather than simply cutting your losses and buying the new, better kit.  Hence the sunk cost fallacy - I've sunk so much money/time/thought into this project that I have to keep going with it, even though objectively I'd be much better off if I just moved on.

Thanks again, all.

Chris, I'll keep the references in mind, especially if there are lots of weapons load pics!  I already have the Flying Colours Aerodecals but will keep an eye out for the correctness of the different masks.

MoFo, my friend, since I've had the kit and started buying resin when it became available (this was WAY before Tarangus or Special Hobby put out a "superior" kit!), I do intend to finish the bird I have in hand.  I appreciate the link, insightful information (I will actually read it!), AND your opinion but my intent for this post was to ask for information about Hataka colors, not elicit opinions about if something is a waste of time or money.  That is something we each determine on an individual basis, as individual modelers. 

For instance, should I have HOPED & PRAYED that one day, SOMEBODY would make the "perfect", $100.00, 1/72nd B-1B or lay my money down for $50.00 worth of Barracuda resin up-grades for a Monogram kit I bought brand-new for $20.00 a LONG time ago?  I'm still $30.00 ahead!  Same question with the very old Monogram B-52 kit which has much more expensive contemporaries but they have shape and other issues that will be avoided by the resin items I purchased years ago.  I might as well get on with what I have now before I'm either dead or unable to model!

Sleepy, yeah, I hear ya!  Just want to get closer to the original colors and work from there.

Erik_g, got-cha!

Mstor, yep!  I'm wondering the same thing! :-)

Happy modeling,

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs
Auto-correct errors!