Hi all

Figured that it's been a very long time since I've posted a built thread on here, so why not add one? I've been working on this Bird of Prey for the last few weeks as time allows and thought I'd share progress. 

Bright green plastic....not exactly very Klingon

47004259544_cef026e003_b.jpg

Fit together, next to the box for the next model to build (lighting kit not in picture)

33916509068_58f707faeb_b.jpg

A bit of panel line airbrushing.....

33916506328_ca20aae406_b.jpg

Beginning paint job...

47004258424_2f2dde6ce2_b.jpg

Progress....

47004260194_72fc2aca91_b.jpg

And, as of this evening.

47004258614_a9ae77effd_b.jpg

Comments, questions, critiques, name calling.....always game. 

Thanks for looking!

Nicely done!  It's interesting that you painted the cooling fins, or whatever they are on the wing hinge, green.  There are some photos that show them as being metal:

bop-studio-close.jpg

But in at least some scenes in ST:III they are green:

k2.jpg

These sci-fi movies always make it tough on us... 🙂

Edited by Ken Cartwright
25 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Nicely done!  It's interesting that you painted the cooling fins, or whatever they are on the wing hinge, green.  There are some photos that show them as being metal:

bop-studio-close.jpg

But in at least some scenes in ST:III they are green:

k2.jpg

These sci-fi movies always make it tough on us... 🙂

Hi Ken

Thanks! I've not done the fins yet, as they'll be a metal look like the studio model you posted.I prefer that look vs. the green of the second photo...a VERY green BoP there! I find that metal paints don't like to be handled much, so I'm waiting till I've finished the rest of the painting on the wings before I tackle those. 

I prefer the metal look too, but wasn't going to say that if you were going to keep it green. Plus, that's a screen shot right out of the movie when you first see it, so making them green could be considered more accurate.

I recently built the 1/1000 version, and went with the metal look on that one.  The weathering didn't give me the variation I was hoping for, so I am still analyzing what other panel painting I want to do to it, but my skills aren't that great, so I am not sure how that would turn out.

BOP.jpg

BOP2.jpg

A bit more progress this afternoon. Working just on the lower "wing" pattern. Not bad I suppose. Hopefully I can recreate it on the other wing, since I haven't touched that one yet!

33922981728_d34a7d3d9f_b.jpg

40833758983_5efc63f4ef_b.jpg

On 5/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

Looking very good - the pre-shading and the panel lines look great!

Thanks Ken, it's appreciated. No progress today, hopefully more tomorrow!

More progress from earlier today. Starboard wing with the base coat of pale green. I'll work on adding the grey and chromate tomorrow, hopefully. 

Definitely need to get to the engine area soon!

33951978538_9c291c0c8d_b.jpg

32885429087_e4c0c8b1f2_b.jpg

27 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

Your build is looking great so far. Look forward to seeing more!

This was one of my favorite kits to build.

birdgate.jpg

I want that Polar Lights D-7!

:cheers:

That looks sharp! I'm hoping my wings turn our symmetrical like yours once I start on the other lower wing,....tomorrow!

I don't come to ARC very often, but it's cool to see your work on these Klingon vessels.  Love your work! 

I always thought them the coolest of Start Trek.  I built the Battlecruiser back in the 80's, long before I knew about weathering and color modulation.  Even I wasn't impressed with my result.

I'm inclined to try again.

Gaz

On 5/14/2019 at 3:14 AM, GazzaS said:

I don't come to ARC very often, but it's cool to see your work on these Klingon vessels.  Love your work! 

I always thought them the coolest of Start Trek.  I built the Battlecruiser back in the 80's, long before I knew about weathering and color modulation.  Even I wasn't impressed with my result.

I'm inclined to try again.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! Give it a try again, it's all good fun. 

I'll try and get some work done this week. I'd been out of town, so no progress. 

Wow, this is coming along great. I agree, this is one of the coolest ship designs from Star Trek and that color scheme is just so out of the box it totally works. And your weathering is spot on! Keep up the great work!

Bill

On 5/22/2019 at 4:58 AM, niart17 said:

Wow, this is coming along great. I agree, this is one of the coolest ship designs from Star Trek and that color scheme is just so out of the box it totally works. And your weathering is spot on! Keep up the great work!

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Flickr is down right now, and I have a new picture to load with the port side "fins" painted up. Hurry up Flickr!

Yep, I think the colors look accurate to the movie.  I prefer a darker green for my space ships, but that's not accurate (I think it looked darker in some of the TV shows, but only because it was dark lighting).  All model shots and other movie images show it to look very much the way you have it.  Some weathering should really make it pop!

One quick side comment, I noticed that the red on the bottom of this build's wings, my 1/1000 build, and Zactoman's build all excluded the panels closest to the front of the wing, but as far as I can tell, they were painted red on the studio model.  I prefer this layout, even if it wasn't that way in the movies.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:20 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

Yep, I think the colors look accurate to the movie.  I prefer a darker green for my space ships, but that's not accurate (I think it looked darker in some of the TV shows, but only because it was dark lighting).  All model shots and other movie images show it to look very much the way you have it.  Some weathering should really make it pop!

One quick side comment, I noticed that the red on the bottom of this build's wings, my 1/1000 build, and Zactoman's build all excluded the panels closest to the front of the wing, but as far as I can tell, they were painted red on the studio model.  I prefer this layout, even if it wasn't that way in the movies.

Thanks Ken! Noticed the wings huh? I had painted the red and weathered, then noticed the studio model has the forward panels painted as well. But, I didn't like that.....so left it as is since it looks more like a wing to me :) 

Minor update. Working on the engine section, sprayed some Floquil Reefer White, then layered on some Insignia Red and Insignia Yellow. Once that was dry enough, a light coat of Tamiya Clear Smoke to cut the cheerfulness a bit! 

47944204002_98a9c1b259_b.jpg 

I'll let this dry for a day or two before I mask the engine off and paint the details. 

More updates. Progress on the engine section. More detail painting to be done to make it look....more engine'ish?

47962381113_f3e0fba493_b.jpg

I decided to use the decals for the radiator swing area. I think that once they're dirtied up and the shine removed with a dull coat, they'll look decent enough.

47962381083_271b5f1917_b.jpg

Looking good Brett :thumbsup2:

I agree that the colors look good.

I wish I had caught your thread earlier. I would have suggested a trick I discovered for the clear engine part. I put a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side out, on the inside of the clear part and painted the outside with Tamiya transparent red and yellow.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but when the light hits it it gives a nice glowing effect.

BOP_rear_sm_zpsydedyeha.jpg

Hopefully you can use the idea on future builds.

Where did you find the poseable stand? Looks like it could come in handy.

3 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Looking good Brett :thumbsup2:

I agree that the colors look good.

I wish I had caught your thread earlier. I would have suggested a trick I discovered for the clear engine part. I put a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side out, on the inside of the clear part and painted the outside with Tamiya transparent red and yellow.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but when the light hits it it gives a nice glowing effect.

BOP_rear_sm_zpsydedyeha.jpg

Hopefully you can use the idea on future builds.

Where did you find the poseable stand? Looks like it could come in handy.

Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind. The flat look of the painted parts doesn't quite look right for an engine, but....what's done is done!

The stand is what comes with the kit now that Round 2/Polar Lights repops them. Their standard....stand. 🙂

43153498091_a3357f66b4_b.jpg

BoP is just about done. I just need to permanently attach the wings and paint the stand up in flat black. After that, some good shots with the D7000 and I'll post them up!