1/48 - Sukhoi Su-25 "Frogfoot" by Kitty Hawk - 3D renders

38 minutes ago, flybywire said:

Is the KP  Model 1/48 Su-25k  any good?

I'm happy to see the KH Is going to produce this kit. I always thought the monogram kit was very nicely done, very fine panel lines.

Edited by B.Sin
3 hours ago, falcon91352 said:

Shapwise the OEZ/ KP is much more accurate than the Monogram one.

I believe the KP and OEZ kits are the same models. I have heard that the Monogram one was modeled after a preproduction version. In any case, I would certainly welcome a new Su-25. Just hope KH spends a bit more time and energy engineering the kit. The Su-34, while a decent kit, is riddled with design problems and just plain stupid mistakes.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

The Su-34, while a decent kit, is riddled with design problems and just plain stupid mistakes.

So what would make it *not* a decent kit?  In my book, any kit that is riddled with design problems and just plain stupid mistakes, by definition, isn’t “decent’.  It’s trash.

3 hours ago, Sleepy said:

So what would make it *not* a decent kit?  In my book, any kit that is riddled with design problems and just plain stupid mistakes, by definition, isn’t “decent’.  It’s trash.

Well, that's your prerogative. To me, a kit can be decent, not great, while still having problems. In spite of problems, it can be built up into a good looking Su-34 model. It's relatively accurate (more so than the Hobby Boss). So, different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:

A decent kit is one which goes together well; accuracy is another matter. 

More interested in the Su-57, so I hope they do a reasonably accurate decent kit.

Tony 

A good Su-25 kit was long overdue. Looking at their Su-17/22 kit and now looking at reviews of their 1/35 Blackhawk, I hope a good fitting and accurate kit. There will always be problems in the kits as its a subjective matter. But Kitty Hawk should be commended for attempting so many different subjects. 

Edited by stalal

If I were a CAD person, I wouldn't want to copy and mirror that gear till I had it just right.   This will sell well for them.  It's been so great to see so many Russian subjects being done in 1/48.

5 hours ago, stalal said:

Kitty Hawk should be commended for attempting so many different subjects. 

So you would rather have a lot of mediocre to really lousy kits than a few really good ones?  

It’s your money.

17 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

So you would rather have a lot of mediocre to really lousy kits than a few really good ones?  

It’s your money.

That's an interesting response you gave. We just had a discussion about this very topic on a Facebook modeling group. The premise was that there is room in our hobby for a full spectrum of people. Those who like accuracy get annoyed (rightfully so) when they are called "rivet counters" by people who are more interested in subject matter or ease of build than in accuracy. We discussed how the passion of a subject can blind us to the tone of how we respond. That might have happened in this case. Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but your response comes across as snarky and dismissive of what he wants to see in a model. Remember, what is mediocre and lousy to you may be perfectly fine to him. Not every builder (myself included) cares that something is exactly accurate. I'm an F-14 buff, and I still love to build the Monogram kit, even with the beautiful Tamiya kit out (which I've built five of).

• 1 month later...

Good news. Its about time we got a new tool Su-25. I checked their Facebook page and really didn't see anything newer about this than their May post. Hopefully they'll post so more info. Now what to do with my old KP/OEZ kit and the ton of aftermarket I bought. Will probably still build it I guess.

Hey I am glad this is coming out. However I still like my Monogram kit even though I know it is out in a couple of places. I had the OEZ kit too but that surface finish really bugged me and I was sick of sanding it smooth. Somewhere I have seen an article how to fix a lot of the issues with the Monogram kit so might go that route....or not. I have two of them so I am not too heavily invested. 

On 5/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Sleepy said:

It’s your money.

Nope. I would like to have quality kits. My point is just about the frequency with which these Chinese companies are bringing out kits. 

KH has a habit of making lazy mistakes in their releases. Be it their Voodoo version or Su-17/22. Those are the two kits I have and although they look fine, they have issues which could have been avoided. So I hope they learn and release Su-25 without those mistakes or shun their habit of cutting corners to get the release out quickly.