What is your favorite genre, scale, manufacturer, kit?

Old thread, I know, but interesting.  Here’s my 2 cents:

Until recently, I was almost 100% 1/35 armor, evenly split between WWII, Cold War vintage, and modern. 

Today, 1/48 WWII aircraft, Allied and Axis; Cold War, US and USSR; and modern.

And I’m really loving the 1/48 Eduard aircraft kits... thus far, my experience with them has been outstanding!

Edited by Curt B
Added thoughts...

I also enjoy this thread - I'm surprised it hasn't been more active. So, my contribution:

Genre:

1) 1/48th WWII fighters: I prefer building aircraft from the larger or main combatants (US, Germany, UK, Italy, USSR, Japan, France) or, alternatively, South Africa, being South African myself. I tend to cycle through the countries.

2) 1/48th cold war and modern fighters, all sides.

Manufacturer:

I tend to pick subject first, then try to find the best kit of the type. I do like the usual ones: Tamiya, Hasegawa, Eduard for their great engineering. But for an excellent combination of subject selection, good research and good engineering I would say my favourites are Zvezda for 1/48th WWII and GWH for modern military. ICM has also done really well in both genres over the last few years. Zvezda is really difficult to beat for value (cost vs quality) and I'm extremely excited that they also now started dabbling in 1/48th modern jets.

Favourite kit:

Whatever I built last - if I'm satisfied with the results. In fact, I like kits that are accurate and of good quality, but perhaps with a slight challenge along the way. My most recent "favourite": 1/48th Zvezda La-5FN with Vector resin. One of those kits that require careful attention to detail, but that comes out absolutely looking the part when done.

Interesting question. My tastes in models has varied over the years. I have had long periods where I left the hobby, always to return with some new focus. In the past I have been into 1/350 scale battleships, 1/32 scale prop and jet aircraft. When I was young it was cars and just about anything that caught my eye.

My latest "return" to the hobby started with SciFi, just for the fun of it. Now its 1/48 post-WWII jet fighters, with a few British late WWII prop fighters in there cause I like the way they look. Favorite manufacturer - Tamiya of course. Favorite kit - I think it was Tamiya's 1/32 F-4J. I had great fun building that one. Had many more Tamiya 1/32 kits to build but had to sell them off. No room for them anymore.

With so many manufacturers coming from China recently, the world order in scale modeling is certainly changing. 

I find Meng, Bronco, GWH, Dragon to be producing some high quality kits. They are offering varied subjects with great detail and engineering at a very high frequency. 

My recent 5 purchases have all been from these manufacturers and I m quite fascinated by what comes in the box. All very good quality kits. Tamiya and Hasegawa, the more traditional manufacturers have been left quite far behind. 

Scale: Only but only 1/48, the master scale :)

Genre: Modern fighter jets.

My current favorite company is Great Wall Hobby. I have their Mig-29s, F-15s and Su-35s. They are magnificent. Only gripe I have is their decals. The detail on them is great but the film is a bit too thick. 

Kit: GWH Su-35, I really like AMK Mig-31, too. 

p.s. As an airbrush and paint producer: Mr. hobby/Gunze. They are great!

pps: I am really looking forward to upcoming GWH Su-27, Trumpeter J-20 and Zvezda, Su-57 kits and Kittyhawk Mi-28. Hope they will be good. 

Edited by foxmulder_ms