How are the Tornado kits from Revell? Detail? Fit? Engineering? Decals? Shape? 

I know nothing about the Tornado but looking at the F.3 ADV. Cool looking, would like to buy one!  Not considering Hobby Boss; Revell only. 

IMHO, the detailing is quite good cockpit and landing gear details are more than adequate, recessed details are extensive but as usual with Revell, slightly uneven, slightly too wide and shallow and different from right to left (fuselage side flank parts).

The fit : okayish, lots of mating surfaces are uneven, some short-shot parts on my 2 releases, IDS and GR.4.

The engineering problematic in the sense that it appears too complicated and most of the parts that make up the main structure are a bit thin.

Decals : thin, flat, detailed but in a certain places out of register.

Accuracy and shape : said to be much much better than Italeri's and especially Hobby Boss's renditions.

To me, it feels like lots of work to invest in a modern kit that was released first in 2014. As I'm no Tornado freak, I kept some the detail parts and bombs and binned the rest. But I sincerely applaud modelers who enjoy its building and turn it into a beauty.

All this may sound too negative to you but these are honest personal views. It is true that I'm no big fan of Revell new way of designing and tooling kits, I regret the times where their kits were tooled in South Korea. And to me, price is no issue : even if no Tornado freak, I'll gladly pay USD150 for a Tamiya Tonka.

Edited by Silver Seraph
Spelling

Thanks guys for the replies. I thought it over and decided to purchase the Eduard limited edition “Goodbye Tornado” F.3 ADV.  Its the Revell kit with some extra goodies and a very nice decal sheet. 

Thanks again for your opinions and information. 

I have always wanted to do a Gr.1 or 3 (of which the Revell boxings seemed to have disappeared), but have been put off by the reported fit problems. Be nice if someone would do a new kit with some better engineering.

9 hours ago, jonbryon said:

IMO, they're a lot more work that a kit from 2014 ought to be. Fit is below average as is moulding quality. There are several inaccuracies, which I mention here: https://jonbryon.com/tornadogr1b/ plus it seems the fin is too short.

Jon

? Mine was so good that I bought a second one. Keep in mind that the kit is really a German Tornado, and very slightly different

Gary

5 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Now I really like your build!!! I gave mine to the grandson when completed as I knew his color selection just wouldn't fly (John Deere green & yellow!). Love my grand kids!

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, habu2 said:

How do the Revell kits compare to the Italeri kits in 1/48?

In 2011 I ranked third in a design competition for the last 321-Tiger of JaboG-32 Lechfeld-Tigers before the dispandmend in 2013. In early 2012 I did a set of 1/48 and 1/32 decals before Revell issued a 1/72 and 1/144 edition. I also rendered a 1/48 edition of the final Monster Tonka of the sister squadron. I did the decals for the old Italeri/Revell kit and based the design work on actual face front images of the original to which I had some proper access at the time. Based on that I can say that the old Italeri/Revell kit may have next to no details but the few details it has are spot on and most importantly the overal shape of the old kit is almost dead on to the original apart from a too fat tail root but which can easily be sanded in shape and which doesn't affect other parts of the airframe. I pretty much didn't have to adjust the original design to the model apart from a tiny kink here and a mini stretch there. And I was really anal about the Toger camo really sitting exactly where it has to be compared to the original.

I did a test fit with new Revell kit and well ..... not so much luck there!!!!

Just for information's sake:

https://www.arcair.com/Gal14/13001-13100/gal13029-Tornado-Breunig/00.shtm

https://www.arcair.com/Gal13/12301-12400/gal12333-Tornado-Breunig/00.shtm

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/10648-panavia-tornado-ecr-italeri.html

Sorry, the third article is in German only but it has the Tiger in there as well.

Last year I had the honor to do the design for FW-74s Ghost Tiger Typhoon 31+00 which won best painted aircraft at the Nato Tiger Meet 2018. Fighter Wing 74 took on the Tiger tradition from Fighter Bomber Wing 32 after its dispandmend. My first Tiger Typhoon and the first time my entire designwork got accepted on the jet. Revell only issued a 1/72 edition, hence I am currently working on the 1/48 and 1/32 Revell kits as a master for respective decals. Currently it's basically the same circumstance with Revells Typhoon as it is with the old Tornado kit: The overal shape is almost spot on apart from a wrongly set canopy/windshield combo with the entire rail missing which is not easy but also not impossible to correct. However the detail is once again below standard and in comparison to Revells F-15E or Rafale sadly a chance missed. Still, it's the moste shape accurate kit of a Typhoon out there. Hopefully I get this done some time this year??! (English translation further down the site)

https://www.bavariantigers.com/2018/04/18/the-ghost-tiger-my-evolutionary-history/

Edited by bushande
On 5/11/2019 at 5:41 AM, Alternative 4 said:

There are two major problems with the Revell kit, the fit is bad so most of the nice detail gets lost and the tail looks weird (the fin isn't point enough) and the wings don't sweep forward enough.

Mine went together with almost zero issues,and almost no filler. I did have a small decal issue, but turned out to be my fault

Gary

On 5/11/2019 at 7:09 AM, Red Dog said:

the forward sweep of the wing is very easily adressed:

I covered it in part 1 of the built

https://reddogsmodels.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/148-revell-tornado-ids-to-ecr-lego-bomber-part-1-assembly/

I actually followed a build someone else did in a magazine. I found the instructions to be OK, but painting and my grandson are why it was painted green and yellow

Gary

17 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

Mine went together with almost zero issues,and almost no filler. I did have a small decal issue, but turned out to be my fault

Gary

That's amazing given the enormous gap that runs span wise along the flaps.

Jon

18 hours ago, bushande said:

In 2011 I ranked third in a design competition for the last 321-Tiger of JaboG-32 Lechfeld-Tigers before the dispandmend in 2013. In early 2012 I did a set of 1/48 and 1/32 decals before Revell issued a 1/72 and 1/144 edition. I also rendered a 1/48 edition of the final Monster Tonka of the sister squadron. I did the decals for the old Italeri/Revell kit and based the design work on actual face front images of the original to which I had some proper access at the time. Based on that I can say that the old Italeri/Revell kit may have next to no details but the few details it has are spot on and most importantly the overal shape of the old kit is almost dead on to the original apart from a too fat tail root but which can easily be sanded in shape and which doesn't affect other parts of the airframe. I pretty much didn't have to adjust the original design to the model apart from a tiny kink here and a mini stretch there. And I was really anal about the Toger camo really sitting exactly where it has to be compared to the original.

I did a test fit with new Revell kit and well ..... not so much luck there!!!!

Just for information's sake:

https://www.arcair.com/Gal14/13001-13100/gal13029-Tornado-Breunig/00.shtm

https://www.arcair.com/Gal13/12301-12400/gal12333-Tornado-Breunig/00.shtm

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/10648-panavia-tornado-ecr-italeri.html

Sorry, the third article is in German only but it has the Tiger in there as well.

Last year I had the honor to do the design for FW-74s Ghost Tiger Typhoon 31+00 which won best painted aircraft at the Nato Tiger Meet 2018. Fighter Wing 74 took on the Tiger tradition from Fighter Bomber Wing 32 after its dispandmend. My first Tiger Typhoon and the first time my entire designwork got accepted on the jet. Revell only issued a 1/72 edition, hence I am currently working on the 1/48 and 1/32 Revell kits as a master for respective decals. Currently it's basically the same circumstance with Revells Typhoon as it is with the old Tornado kit: The overal shape is almost spot on apart from a wrongly set canopy/windshield combo with the entire rail missing which is not easy but also not impossible to correct. However the detail is once again below standard and in comparison to Revells F-15E or Rafale sadly a chance missed. Still, it's the moste shape accurate kit of a Typhoon out there. Hopefully I get this done some time this year??! (English translation further down the site)

https://www.bavariantigers.com/2018/04/18/the-ghost-tiger-my-evolutionary-history/

Hey, just try not to be off topic, but how's accurate is the 1:72 Hasegawa Eurofighter compared to the one from Revell?  To me, the canopy of the Hasegawa Eurofighter looks a bit too large.

9 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Hey, just try not to be off topic, but how's accurate is the 1:72 Hasegawa Eurofighter compared to the one from Revell?  To me, the canopy of the Hasegawa Eurofighter looks a bit too large.

To be honest, up until shortly while Revell had still the old sprues for the 1/72 I would actually have said, just go with Hase in 1/72 but the recent update of the 1/72 Revell Typhoon has brought me back to Revell again in this scale as well. The Hase Tiffy is actually quite nicely shaped and even had a better canopy with at least some traces of a canopy rail contrary to the old Revell 1/72 Tiffy. However, the intake trunks are a tidbit too narrow and should be a tad wider around the outer intake lips. The Revell kit is in that respect more accurately shaped, but with less detailing. But it seems there has been an update of the Revell kit as the new 1/72 edition features a canopy with the same "traces" of a frame that the Hase features. I.e. by now I would say, the hase kit is really really nice but I would rather go with revell in that scale as well despite the shortcomings.

(Sorry for the off topic. Just trying to answer the question.)

Edited by bushande
2 hours ago, planeboy said:

Does anyone know why the Revell GR.4's are almost nonexistent?  I've wanted to pick one up for while, but they have disappeared everywhere I look. 

I saw 3 boxes of the 1:48 Revell GR.4 last week when I visited the local store of Sincere Hobby.  For some reason, it is currently listed out of stock in their website.  Maybe you can email them to order one. 

Which boxing of the "newer" 1/48 Revell Tornados can be converted (if possible) back to a GR.1? I am considering an Operation Granby version. Obviously, the two choices are the IDS or the GR.4 boxingx. Both seem hard to come by, though I have seen the IDS version pop up on e-Bay often.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Which boxing of the "newer" 1/48 Revell Tornados can be converted (if possible) back to a GR.1? I am considering an Operation Granby version. Obviously, the two choices are the IDS or the GR.4 boxingx. Both seem hard to come by, though I have seen the IDS version pop up on e-Bay often.

The IDS version can be made into a GR.1 with a couple of changes. The only significant things missing from the box are the clear part for the LRMTS pod and (IIRC) the RAF style pylons. I made a GR.1B from it here: https://jonbryon.com/tornadogr1b/

Jon

3 hours ago, jonbryon said:

The IDS version can be made into a GR.1 with a couple of changes. The only significant things missing from the box are the clear part for the LRMTS pod and (IIRC) the RAF style pylons. I made a GR.1B from it here: https://jonbryon.com/tornadogr1b/

Jon

Thanks Jon. Looks like Flightpath's detail set for the Revell kits will be available again soon (according to their website). It has the LRMTS pod plus a ton of other stuff. Their Tanks and Pods set also has the LRMTS pod. Not sure where RAF style pylons can be sourced from though. Will wait on this I think.

4 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Thanks Jon. Looks like Flightpath's detail set for the Revell kits will be available again soon (according to their website). It has the LRMTS pod plus a ton of other stuff. Their Tanks and Pods set also has the LRMTS pod. Not sure where RAF style pylons can be sourced from though. Will wait on this I think.

Xtraparts/Paragon used to make them. Sadly no longer available unless you can persuade someone to part with an old set.

Jon

25 minutes ago, jonbryon said:

Xtraparts/Paragon used to make them. Sadly no longer available unless you can persuade someone to part with an old set.

Jon

I miss Paragon. Lots of useful sets came from them. When I used to do 1/32 scale I had three Revell Tornados (newer ones) and every piece of aftermarket available, including Paragon's very nice flap/slat sets for each. Sadly, I gave it all away, not that I would build any 1/32 kits now (no room).