Kittyhawk 1/48 AH-1W coming

They posted an image of the box top on their FB page. No other details that I'm aware of, other than it appears to be a late NTS bird with the turned exhaust. No release date given.

48 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

They posted an image of the box top on their FB page. No other details that I'm aware of, other than it appears to be a late NTS bird with the turned exhaust. No release date given.

I hope they''ll be consulting you to ensure it's done correctly/ Paint schemes and decals at the very least.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I hope they''ll be consulting you to ensure it's done correctly/ Paint schemes and decals at the very least.

Nope, I have nothing to do with KH. I offered to help on multiple occasions a few years ago and it wasn't accepted. They have a couple of others on their team that are familiar with the aircraft though. 

No kidding? The only thing is I'm concerned about are the shape of the nose and proper cockpit IP's for both front and back seater. Everything else should be a breeze.

Well there goes my stack of Italeri Whiskey's along with all the aftermarket for them. I'm actually going to be pretty upset if all of the current AH-1W decals released over the years don't fit this kit at all. I dunno if I can spend all that money again.

Edited by Whiskey
1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

No kidding? The only thing is I'm concerned about are the shape of the nose and proper cockpit IP's for both front and back seater. Everything else should be a breeze.

Well there goes my stack of Italeri Whiskey's along with all the aftermarket for them. I'm actually going to be pretty upset if all of the current AH-1W decals released over the years don't fit this kit at all. I dunno if I can spend all that money again.

Very few markings applied to the Whiskey are form fitting, so almost every decal designed for the Italeri kit should fit this one, so long as KH get's the overall shape correct. When laid over the Bell drawings, the Italeri kit is dead on accurate in outline and shape. The lack of detail is what does that kit in. 

There is another player in the 48th Whiskey game that I am working with. Their initial reaction was to halt development. I'm trying to convince them it would be a bad idea to do so. Knowing what they're capable of, I am confidant a better Whiskey can be done. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

There is another player in the 48th Whiskey game that I am working with. Their initial reaction was to halt development. I'm trying to convince them it would be a bad idea to do so. Knowing what they're capable of, I am confidant a better Whiskey can be done. 

The other player should consider switching their project to 1/35 scale 😉

30 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The other player should consider switching their project to 1/35 scale 😉

That is also a possibility. However, I've been trying to convince Academy into re-tooling theirs!!

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

Very few markings applied to the Whiskey are form fitting, so almost every decal designed for the Italeri kit should fit this one, so long as KH get's the overall shape correct. When laid over the Bell drawings, the Italeri kit is dead on accurate in outline and shape. The lack of detail is what does that kit in. 

That's great news Dave, thanks for the confidence boost on that. It would be a marvelous kit if they include pre-NTS pieces such as the nose, IP's, and oil cooler. Or retain the original exhausts so you can build either version. That would be an amazing kit indeed.

25 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

And again, the landmark granddaddy of them all, the "G" is ignored. :angry:

Why would you want a G with hundreds of amazing nose art options when you can have another flat grey low vis marked monotonal gunship?

At least unlike the G, the W can get off the ground with a full warload...

Honestly though, very glad they're releasing a modern W.  I can have one sitting with my KH Zulu and not have to worry about finding aftermarket for the Italeri Whiskey, or, god forbid, fixing the Academy 1/35 Whiskey. 

3 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

At least unlike the G, the W can get off the ground with a full warload...

Honestly though, very glad they're releasing a modern W.  I can have one sitting with my KH Zulu and not have to worry about finding aftermarket for the Italeri Whiskey, or, god forbid, fixing the Academy 1/35 Whiskey. 

:thumbsup: I'd like to unload all of my Italeri related material that brings the W to an NTS airframe and only use them for the intended pre-NTS aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 10:47 AM, dehowie said:

Why would you want a G with hundreds of amazing nose art options when you can have another flat grey low vis marked monotonal gunship?

You could just start up your own model company, invest thousands of your own dollars and produce the ultimate AH-1G that would make you a millions and sell like hot cakes with its hundreds of amazing nose art options. 

9 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

You could just start up your own model company, invest thousands of your own dollars and produce the ultimate AH-1G that would make you a millions and sell like hot cakes with its hundreds of amazing nose art options. 

this-is-a-little-savage-memegenerator-ne

On 5/28/2019 at 10:44 PM, Cameron Lynch said:

Is there any chance this kit will include parts for the original "non-turned" exhausts?  Or am I going to have to scab on the back end of my old Cobra Company resin update for the Italeri kit?

Cameron

We proofed parts for a ‘Basic’ W and a late one.  So we proofed a non-NTS nose and canopy and an NTS nose and canopy.  Both exhausts were proofed as well.  I make no promises on what is in the box.  I’m not privy to that information until it comes out

Floyd

2 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

We proofed parts for a ‘Basic’ W and a late one.  So we proofed a non-NTS nose and canopy and an NTS nose and canopy.  Both exhausts were proofed as well.  I make no promises on what is in the box.  I’m not privy to that information until it comes out

Floyd

Were they provided with the NTS cockpit layout and notes for the different antenna arrangements?

• 1 month later...

I haven't read anything regarding an important detail that is left out of every AH-1 model in existence so I thought I'd ask. As far as this kit goes is there any information about the HSS and is Kittyhawk going to be including the necessary hardware to model it?