Su-27 Flanker B, Hobby Boss 1/48

• 2 weeks later...

Now things are in order again and I have alittle update for you.

I consider the the cockpit finished now...a bit of pigment on the IP shroud really made it look like cloth.

IMG_4323_zpsr3wjimdu.jpg

IMG_4333_zps48odtkri.jpg

IMG_4332_zpsye98jwxc.jpg

IMG_4331_zpsbj2ubdxr.jpg

I did a little sanding and panel line restauration and the fuseölage was good.

IMG_4325_zpsqun7weol.jpg

Added the flaps

IMG_4326_zpsod6p3ezt.jpg

The intakes went together charmningly without any locator pins or guids....the parts just fit.

IMG_4327_zpsjjsyxqtz.jpg

With the FOD cover down no need for fanfront painting or anything.

IMG_4328_zpsjqpxzluz.jpg

I´m always surprised when parts just fit...the intaked popped into place and they fit.

IMG_4329_zpsr8dmekdh.jpg

IMG_4330_zps7i6ltkau.jpg

Cheers!

I know you said you wanted to do a regular Russian bird, but come on, do a Ukrainian with that pixelcamouflage. I know you want to! :evil-laughter:

_DSC8638-2.thumb.jpg.7d30412ecaaec6c6fc8ed7b9c331cf19.jpg

Edited by erik_g

Nice work Ken!!!!!  :))

I suppose this is the new Zvezda kit there. There are some really interesting solutions on that kit in comparison to where it all started 5 years ago with the Su-27SM kit.

Best regards

Gabor 

I know it is an off topic, but have a look at fine details inside the nose gear bay of the new Zvezda Su-30SM kit in 72 nd scale.

o24kl3D.jpg

ETHZFRp.jpg

Sorry Janne for getting a bit of the track

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, sorry for not doing an update last weekend...but I was at a mates and had another project cooking 😄

Anyways...

I sanded the middle seam and polished the canopy and windscreen and then dipped in future/klear.

IMG_4334_zps4lg4esng.jpg

While the future was hardening I added the flaps and slats.

IMG_4336_zpsaskpufpe.jpg

The clear parts looks really nice after the dip...Now, I understand the plexiglass in the windscreen had a tendency to turn yellow over time
I´ve seen both yellow and clear windscreens on flankers but since I want to do a rugged old bird I went for tinting the windscreen.

IMG_4338_zpslajvvmos.jpg

I mixed Tamyia clear yellow and smoke and shoot dry coats. Now of course the windscreen went opaque.

IMG_4341_zpso3jv5kpn.jpg

With a bit of tamyia fine compound and a cloth I got it polished nicely

IMG_4342_zpsdflesdjd.jpg

IMG_4343_zpspmi3pg7t.jpg

After another dip in future/klear it´s crystal cler again...tho yellow 😄

IMG_4345_zps36uevvah.jpg

I´ll let the clear parts rest until later when I´ll mask them....next it´s time to get the engines sorted 😄

cheers!

Time for another update 😄

The updates might come in a  bit quicker now that my summer vacation has started 😄

I continued with the canopy and windscreen.

Masked for the interior color, New Ware Masksare really handy!

IMG_4346_zps497j8g9t.jpg

Filled the voids with tape...

IMG_4347_zpsaylybnyy.jpg

And painted the interior color.

IMG_4348_zpsuyiepjbd.jpg

Unmasked..

IMG_4349_zps075ljw5x.jpg

Next I masked for the seals..

IMG_4350_zpskilea7bd.jpg

I went with pink for the seals.

IMG_4351_zpsrxmzazpz.jpg

While the pink dried I turned my attention to the engines PE fret...

IMG_4352_zpskqiss2k1.jpg

Cut out the burner rings with dificulty.....I really need to get a better tool to cut PE from the frets, any suggestions for a nipper or anything?

IMG_4353_zpsyqmxwaii.jpg

Well I´ll leave it at that for today.

Cheers!

Good progress so far Janne. One method I found for added realism on the PE burner rings is to heat them up over a stove for some burn marks. It will dramatically enhance the realism!

Qian

3 hours ago, Aigore said:

I went with pink for the seals.

IMG_4351_zpsrxmzazpz.jpg

While the pink dried I turned my attention to the engines PE fret...

Well I´ll leave it at that for today.

Cheers!

Janne, Are you certain of the seal color here? I've never seen a Sukhoi with the pink seal. If I'm wrong, I'll go back to lurking.......

3 hours ago, Qian said:

Good progress so far Janne. One method I found for added realism on the PE burner rings is to heat them up over a stove for some burn marks. It will dramatically enhance the realism!

Qian

Thanx Qian 😄

not sure much will show tho 😉

34 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Janne, Are you certain of the seal color here? I've never seen a Sukhoi with the pink seal. If I'm wrong, I'll go back to lurking.......

Nope.....said so on the mask but it's not too late to repaint them black 😛 Thanx for pointing it out.

I rely on you guys who know the Flanker better than me, never hesitate to call me on mistakes I've done or about to do 😄

On 7/7/2019 at 8:02 AM, Aigore said:

Cut out the burner rings with dificulty.....I really need to get a better tool to cut PE from the frets, any suggestions for a nipper or anything?

Hi Janne

There are very good tools out there for this task: the Tamiya 74123 Side Cutter is intended for removing plastic parts from sprues as well as nipping on photoetched pieces. Then there's also the Gundam Planet Side Cutter, which performs exactly as the Tamiya does, only that the tips on the latter are a little more blunt, and not so pointy as the former.

I've learnt about the God's Hands and DSPIAE too, but I don't know any of them.

I use the Gundam Planet one for removing plastic from sprues and the Tamiya tool for removing photoetched parts from the frets.

Always try to be gentle when using any of both because those tools are expensive.