Su-27 Flanker B, Hobby Boss 1/48

Home on sick leave...my left knee konked out on me, an athritis flash they told me so I got a couple of walking sticks and shot of cortison in my knee.

Sooo....I sat down with the flanker today 😄

I used those wonderful New Ware masks for the engine nacells.

IMG_4416_zpsai0llfwd.jpg

IMG_4417_zpszpb8htst.jpg

Then I masked off the end and shot first Alclad steel, then a thin dusting of copper and then pale exhaust on top of that..I´m happy with it.

IMG_4418_zpsj1uwgqg2.jpg

Next for some serious masking. I decided to try out Yufeis trick with a brush pen to recreate weldlines.

IMG_4419_zpskpzojumy.jpg

I did not however find Sakura pens at the store I was but well this cheaper ones...I bought three for the price of ONE sakura pen...let´s see how that works out.

IMG_4420_zpsjm5fgg8z.jpg

I´m totally happy with that.

IMG_4421_zpspple86ay.jpg

IMG_4422_zpsf9qumj7z.jpg

Now I´ve done one side....3 to go plus the uppersides....this masking is killing me! 😛

Cheers!

5 hours ago, erik_g said:

No airshow for you this weekend then. Too bad. The 39E makes public debut!

Nope, the knees are still swollen and I walk with a stick....not that much pain anymore tho.

Take nice pics!

2 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

nice work Janne! Looking awesome. I like that pen idea. I thought it was ultra fine maskol or something like it at first

Hope  your knee gets better - nothing makes you feel older than walking with a stick

Thanx MH 😄

Time to finish the undersides of the engine nacelles....at least 😛

Tho time consuming it´s been fun playing around...did a few do-do´s but it´s a learning curve 😄

Done with the v 
IMG_4423_zpsduo4ldzx.jpg

Next some blue and brown lines...this time I did not mask.

IMG_4424_zpstkzlit5z.jpg

Some Tamyia make up...

IMG_4425_zpsdmxkw1os.jpg

Then a thin coat of gold and sealing coat of future....unmasked and done.

IMG_4426_zpsmujsren5.jpg

IMG_4427_zpss96gjnof.jpg

This side turned a bit nasty when I tried sealing with too wet a coat of future 😛 I´ll leave it to the learning curve.

IMG_4428_zpscu2qwytq.jpg

Next it is the upper side...whew.

IMG_4429_zpsdhedxmpl.jpg

Cheers!

Yay, the nacells are pretty much done!

First blue lines across...

IMG_4430_zpstwj043h4.jpg

Then brown lines along...

IMG_4431_zpsl16xsywb.jpg

IMG_4432_zpssnt8ellh.jpg

Then some tamyia make up...

IMG_4433_zpsytyupezq.jpg

Finally a dusting in gold and pale exhaust and then sealed with a gloss coat and unmasked.

IMG_4434_zpsvhkqmphv.jpg

IMG_4435_zpsfqiwj8ri.jpg

IMG_4436_zpswbvuluae.jpg

IMG_4437_zpsd0igqsog.jpg

There... Either I start repairing the paint spill or I go for the exhaust cans....we shall see 😄

Chees!

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

Tons of tonal variety going on there- I love it!  These engine areas on the Flankers are quite intriguing and visually pleasing to look at.  Great work!

Steve

Thanx Steve 😄

it's been a challenge, and fun, thanx to yufei who invented this technique I merely adapted it for the Su-27 😄

12 hours ago, Brett M said:

Excellent work on the engine nacelles and the entire project. Your painting is extremely well done. 

Now.....maybe I'll have to just sell my Su-30! lol 

Thanx Brett 😄

Only thing left is pigments but I'll do that after I've put down a wash on the entire model. Soon the exhausts will be added and then it is paint  repair before I do the gun platings 😄

Now here is a really yummy exhaust update :D!

First a wee bit of masking....Like so.

IMG_4438_zpsrjvkv8yh.jpg

IMG_4439_zpsuy6eurvb.jpg

Then I shot Alclad steele and unmasked...

IMG_4440_zpsfzfnnn5h.jpg

Then some more maskng...I did tell that I love the New Ware engine masks didn´t I?

IMG_4441_zpsuhd0kouf.jpg

Shot Alclad magnesium and unmasked...see the biger petals are lighter than the smaller? if not well you njust have to take my word for it 😛

IMG_4442_zpslxop18qf.jpg

Masked again before shooting Alclad exhaust.

IMG_4444_zpscdeinfgc.jpg

And unmasked...getting there slowly.

IMG_4445_zpssrumpnjd.jpg

MAsking again, this time the inside petals.

IMG_4446_zpswstcs8pd.jpg

I shot Alcad white primer and then Alclad exhaust on top just to make a dfference in there.

IMG_4447_zpsdczknndk.jpg

At this point I glued the turkey feathers to the rest of the exhaust.

IMG_4449_zpskxk4en4w.jpg

Then I went at it with Tamyia make up.

IMG_4450_zpshteswe5u.jpg

And finally black pigment to blend it all and give it tha that sooty hot look.
IMG_4451_zpsu10dj5bp.jpg

And finished, glued in place...you see that the nac ells will require some additional weathering too but I´ll do that later.

IMG_4452_zpsh9lb2fus.jpg

Cheers!

Aren't New Ware masks great? I love them too. If I see a set out for a kit I have I will generally snatch one up immediately. Especially with the big Russian jets. They save a lot of time with masking.

7 hours ago, Mstor said:

Aren't New Ware masks great? I love them too. If I see a set out for a kit I have I will generally snatch one up immediately. Especially with the big Russian jets. They save a lot of time with masking.

Indeed they are...saves soooo much time! I will definitely get them for every rusky build! 😄

6 hours ago, Brett M said:

Definitely impressive work on the nacelles and nozzles. Glad you're posting your steps, I may need them too!

Thanks Brett 😄 I like posting like that...in case someone feels inclined to see how I do things and sometimes I do specials for certain techniques and such. 😄

Great job man.  Very similar to what I did on my Su-35 exhausts.   I didnt use any pigments, though... just lots and lots of layers and a ton of patience.  I think I spent about a week and a half painting the exhaust and stabilators. 

55 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

Great job man.  Very similar to what I did on my Su-35 exhausts.   I didnt use any pigments, though... just lots and lots of layers and a ton of patience.  I think I spent about a week and a half painting the exhaust and stabilators. 

Thanx Bac8nRaygun 😄

there are many ways to skin a cat 😄 I think pigment gives that right patina and you can remove it in so many ways that you get that spotty infused feel to the metal.

For sure man.  I definitely see the merits of pigments/dry colors...  I'm a noob, so I have not tried them yet because I'm still in the process of exploring this hobby.  

Edited by BaconRaygun