Su-27 Flanker B, Hobby Boss 1/48

3 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

For sure man.  I definitely see the merits of pigments/dry colors...  I'm a noob, so I have not tried them yet because I'm still in the process of exploring this hobby.  

Joyous times 😄

I use to say I'm a lazy builder, I always try to find ways to make the builds go quicker but still keep up the quality. Some times there is no way around patience and old fashion elbow grease...but if I can I find short cuts. 😄

learn each technique one at a time and then start to mix techniques and experiment and make them your own "tools" and fill your "toolbox" 🙂

Yep, that's the plan.  

I think we are all lazy in some way.  There is always gonna be stuff in any hobby that we just dont really enjoy that much.   So far, when it comes to modeling, I'm gonna say sanding (especially around details) is the thing that pains me the most... and that makes me lazy... and when I get that feeling, I'm more content with "good enough"   than "perfect".  SO if there is any discipline in this hobby that I'm gonna try to find shortcuts for... its gonna be sanding.  God, I hate sanding. 

Anyway... this thread isn't about me so I'm gonna stop ranting.   Keep up the good work man.  Looking forward to seeing this thing get finished. 

-Igor 

35 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

Yep, that's the plan.  

I think we are all lazy in some way.  There is always gonna be stuff in any hobby that we just dont really enjoy that much.   So far, when it comes to modeling, I'm gonna say sanding (especially around details) is the thing that pains me the most... and that makes me lazy... and when I get that feeling, I'm more content with "good enough"   than "perfect".  SO if there is any discipline in this hobby that I'm gonna try to find shortcuts for... its gonna be sanding.  God, I hate sanding. 

Anyway... this thread isn't about me so I'm gonna stop ranting.   Keep up the good work man.  Looking forward to seeing this thing get finished. 

-Igor 

Only way to stay clear of sanding and puttyingis to only build Tamyia kits :P.......tho I must say I didn't have to do much filling and sanding on this....

There is definitely a Tamiya kit in my future.   So far I've built a GWH flanker and an Eduard MiG-21mf (just finishing the latter)... and neither one had any major filling and sanding.  There's always gonna be some sanding though, especially if one values a good smooth finish.  I'm ok with it, but it's definitely my least favorite task.      

on we go...

Got that spill taken care of.

IMG_4453_zpsnkkrgt3k.jpg

IMG_4454_zps9jmmf1mk.jpg

Added the strakes.

IMG_4455_zps9dfm4qgh.jpg

A little dry fit with the vertical stabs...starting to come together just some itty bitty detail painting before gloss varnish.

IMG_4456_zpsxtpmvjgy.jpg

Painted the stinger tip white and shot dark aluminium around the CM-dispensers.

IMG_4457_zpsjrhojtgm.jpg

Brought back a lost dieletric panel.

IMG_4458_zps1ozvsupi.jpg

Masked around the gun...

IMG_4459_zpsu3nf3t8d.jpg

First grey primer and then honey primer on top of that and then painted in Alclad steel.

IMG_4461_zpstv28lbm3.jpg

HAd problems with the wheel well colors until I discovered that I had MRP wheel well color for ruskies 😛

IMG_4462_zpsdaybjosf.jpg

Next I brush painted the green panels on the stinger...

IMG_4463_zpsqvg3ur4z.jpg

And painted all fasteners red.

IMG_4464_zpsjlh1wsxt.jpg

With nothing more to paint I finally put down the gloss varnish...

IMG_4465_zpsaol1ikvp.jpg

IMG_4466_zpspb10drxh.jpg

There....tomorrow I start with them decals.

Cheers!

Decals...Hate´em but there is no way around they need to go onto the model!

First all the simple decals...really nice decals from Linden hill

IMG_4467_zps7md3mjg0.jpg 

IMG_4469_zpshdktlnpm.jpg

IMG_4470_zpsax6sm3nf.jpg

Then on with the stencils...I´m using the hobby boss decals but I think next time I should get a set of stencils for flankers.
They´re not that bad it´s just that the prints are simplistic and I have a bunch of decals over that I don´t know where to put 😛

IMG_4471_zpsyflunrtw.jpg

IMG_4472_zpshs2ftiiy.jpg

IMG_4473_zpsqphvsawc.jpg

Added the EW-pods to the wingtips. They are not as weathered as the rest of the airframe....guess they tuck them in for the nights 😛

IMG_4474_zpsbymzpero.jpg

IMG_4475_zps3cfrjxre.jpg

With the decals done and sealed I tested some wash...think I´ll go wiht this grey wash

IMG_4476_zpsoclrmmvx.jpg

Cheers!

52 minutes ago, rom said:

Hi! very nice camo and exhausts!

Are you sure that those stencils are visible on worn and wahsed paint?

Will you fade and blend them?

bye

Romain

Thanx Romain 😄

I have lightly sanded the decals to fade them, they look vivid because of the gloss varnish but when the weathering is done and the last flat coat goes on they will blend in nicely 🙂

21 hours ago, Brett M said:

Very good looking bird. I had the same question as Romain, looking forward to seeing how they look toned down.

Thanx Brett 😄

Was easier said than done, the red stencils and stars were easy enough to tone down but those lemon yellow stencils were harder to tone down

11 hours ago, mikkod said:

Oh, very nice work Janne! Upea kone! 

Kiitos mikko 😄

3 hours ago, Parabat said:

Really good looking model now, excellent posts to show how you have achieved this. 

Thanx Parabat 😄

Here we go....weathering

First off the panel wash. I use MiGs neutral grey wash...I avoid black since I think the contrast is to great and the panels look a bit off.

IMG_4477_zpsn81yc5vm.jpg

IMG_4478_zps6xj6pfai.jpg

IMG_4479_zpsqsxc3y1u.jpg

IMG_4480_zpspcydiiyx.jpg

IMG_4481_zpsbxpqorqj.jpg

Next I used Tamyia make up and pigments to make streaks and leaks.

IMG_4482_zps0axshs9a.jpg

I think the nose came out a bit under done but I guess there is a limit even for me on how dirty I make things 😛

IMG_4483_zps5iqc9rio.jpg

I finished with a flat varnish and unmasked the canopy.

IMG_4484_zpsktat1g2u.jpg

The reds are  nicelly toned down but the yellows still stick out a bit...I´ll save that for touch ups before final assembly.

IMG_4485_zpsrhqgveav.jpg

Still....I think I´m happy with the weathering and paint job. 😄

IMG_4486_zps9y8bhmm7.jpg

IMG_4487_zpsi8ffz1ok.jpg

IMG_4488_zpstdpzmjxp.jpg

Now I put away the fuselage for a bit and get the small stuff done...

The quickboost bang seat is just lovely...

IMG_4489_zpswpabs00q.jpg

Here it is time for some surgery..

IMG_4490_zpsxub0ukgr.jpg

Hope I get it together later 😛

IMG_4491_zpsjfcqxvup.jpg

Did the bay doors...

IMG_4492_zpsfvs7gjbu.jpg

And a little forrest for priming and painting.

IMG_4493_zpszjhccu6z.jpg

there...

IMG_4494_zps9mugeipq.jpg

did the hubs in RLM 83.

IMG_4495_zpsap48caiy.jpg

still have tomorrow to finnish stuff before the show on Saturday 😛 no preassure 

Cheers!

5 hours ago, erik_g said:

Looking good! Will it be finished for tomorrow?

Thanx Erik...

It has to.... still got more than 12 hours before the show opens 😛

3 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Wow, that's some incredible paintjob/weathering, Janne...the results are just so realistic.  It's like a real aircraft zapped down and sitting on your desk.

Thanx crackerjazz 😄 very kind of you 🙂