Su-27 Flanker B, Hobby Boss 1/48

7 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Poorly.... the judges didn't like it one bit 😛 Didn't even bother to ask them about it since I over heard some of their opinions.... 

Oh that's a shame, sorry to hear that, I thought it looked pretty damn awesome.

2 hours ago, Parabat said:

Oh that's a shame, sorry to hear that, I thought it looked pretty damn awesome.

Thanx Parabat 😄

2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Wow, I don"t understand how that could happen. It's perfect in every way in my book. And the paintjob, weathering and tonal variations look awfully realistic to me.  I'm actually envious of your work. What didn't they like about it?

Precisely that pretty much I guess....I didn't ask anything after what I over heard. But really, I don't care...I'm really happy with how it came out, I don't build to win competitions I build to satisfy me and to evolve as a builder. I got two honorary mentions for other builds so I didn't leave the competition empty handed. My two daughters added another 3 honorary mentions to the family name and we had great fun together, father and daughters 😄

37 minutes ago, Brett M said:

Kidding? Or serious that they didn't like it?

No seriously, they hated it 😛

5 hours ago, Aigore said:

...I'm really happy with how it came out, I don't build to win competitions I build to satisfy me and to evolve as a builder. I got two honorary mentions for other builds so I didn't leave the competition empty handed. My two daughters added another 3 honorary mentions to the family name and we had great fun together, father and daughter😄

And this is all that matters anyway!

Too bad I could not be at the show this year. If I had been, maybe I could have judged that class. In that case I could have told you why it lost.. 😉
The competition is fierce and the over all quality is so high that anything less than a perfect wash with completely even panel lines (which I find undesirable since some panel lines are more visible than others irl) will kick you out of the competition. I had the same problem with my Hornet (same judges). You´ll have to step up your washing game to be able to compete at the absolute top level in that specific class! Goes for both of us, pal. We´ll have to train more!

1 hour ago, erik_g said:

Too bad I could not be at the show this year. If I had been, maybe I could have judged that class. In that case I could have told you why it lost.. 😉
The competition is fierce and the over all quality is so high that anything less than a perfect wash with completely even panel lines (which I find undesirable since some panel lines are more visible than others irl) will kick you out of the competition. I had the same problem with my Hornet (same judges). You´ll have to step up your washing game to be able to compete at the absolute top level in that specific class! Goes for both of us, pal. We´ll have to train more!

I can totally accept it lost.... it's the snorky attitude I could do without.

Now that's a shame the judges didn't like it Janne. Like what crackerjazz said, I too thought the weathering and variations in tone were done perfectly as per the real aircraft being in service and exposed to years of the elements. But glad to see your still positive outlook towards the competition despite the outcome. I am sure we modellers here (myself included) can still learn from your mastery towards bettering our builds! Keep up the good work and continue to inspire modellers like myself with your masterpieces!

Cheers

Final update...well I guess sort of I haven´t finished the weapons yet 😛

But this is what I did until 3 in the morning before the show...

I started with putting a bit of wire on the struts...unfortunately I seem to have misplaced all my wires, I only found a piece of lead wire to work with 😛

IMG_4496_zpsxdi01hyv.jpg

Put down a wash on the bay doors and flat coated them.

IMG_4497_zpsnpxnzx9a.jpg

Putting the struts together...

IMG_4498_zps9eyzubs1.jpg

IMG_4499_zpsfbnzc2ut.jpg

IMG_4501_zps01fhmk2g.jpg

IMG_4502_zpsmhsgdbf8.jpg

Then it was time for some eye torture...a bunch of these static dischargers were to be put into the rear edge of the wings.

IMG_4503_zpsk6o34puw.jpg

Like so...

IMG_4505_zpsbwawgdag.jpg

Then I added something into the IRST, didn´t think a hole straight into the cockpit was nice 😛

IMG_4506_zpsginscv9y.jpg

On with the lens.

IMG_4507_zpskurr5p3m.jpg

The pitot tube.

IMG_4508_zpssiwoxd7h.jpg

It sure covers a fair bit of square meters 😛

IMG_4510_zpspijzdw5c.jpg

Wheels on!

IMG_4511_zpstracgubv.jpg

and the rest of the antennas....of course as the night wore on I lost 3 static dischargers and 2 alpha probes 😕 I was quite dizzy at this stage.

IMG_4512_zpsrflqdqak.jpg

Anyways here is the poor thing...abused by judges 😛

IMG_4518_zpsgwyuy7hw.jpg

I´ll have to do all the weapons and then it´s fit for a final photo shoot so hang on for a bit 😄

Oh and here is my daughters prizewinning builds!

Lea (7), my youngest, glued together a Hawker Hurricane....

And snapped together a chibi Ki-84 (these kits are awesome for kids btw...I bought a small pile of them at the show.)

IMG_4513_zps7czmv31s.jpg

And my eldest, Lydia (8), Did a IAI Nesher....I threw together a stand for it.

IMG_4516_zpsuow3ww4d.jpg

There ya have it !
THanx for all the happy and encouraging words during the build 😄

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, last update 😄

Getting the load out done...

Here is what I´m going with ...2 R-73 and 6 R-27 in different models.

IMG_4519_zpsiaoqzlsu.jpg

Primed them in black and painted the fins in Alclad magnesium then I masked the fins.

IMG_4520_zpsmzgddfar.jpg

Next alaclad  white primer adn the gloss white on top of that.

IMG_4521_zpsomnyo28d.jpg

Unmasked...

IMG_4522_zpsgqsk0xco.jpg

Painted the noses of the radar missiles in sand yellow.

IMG_4523_zpsmoowvw6n.jpg

The exhausts are done in ochra.

IMG_4524_zpsz5lwoj7m.jpg

Then a gloss coat before washes.

IMG_4525_zpsjtdfft6h.jpg

Addded the IR seekers to the IR missiles.

IMG_4526_zpsxsv2g5tu.jpg

And glued in place and done!

IMG_4527_zpsxbdcaw2d.jpg

A coupleof snapshots of the finished model....going to do a proper photo shoot later 😄

edited-image_zps8jsp6go7.jpg

edited-image_zpsxztzy8vw.jpg

C heers!

9 hours ago, Aigore said:

Addded the IR seekers to the IR missiles.

Great work, just one thing. The IR seekers on those missile are usually a gloss grey color, ranging from light to dark grey. Haneto uses a reddish grey on the missiles on his Su-35 build here on ARC.

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

Great work, just one thing. The IR seekers on those missile are usually a gloss grey color, ranging from light to dark grey. Haneto uses a reddish grey on the missiles on his Su-35 build here on ARC.

After a great deal of googling I found great diversion on the seeker heads so I took a bit of artistic licence and painted the inside of the R27T heads in sienna and the R73 heads in light blue grey. 

It was fascinating to see live missiles been prepared on a live shoot exercise. Dozens of them on carts before hanging on aircraft and technicians were checking them out including the seeker head by removing the metal cover and side by side one would see an extreme variation in colours.

It is basically an opaque whitish glass cover but the colour of them go in all directions! Remember same mark and type of missile!

I think in the heat seeker range the early R-3S had a clear glass cover.

Janne, a great kit there!!!!!

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

It was fascinating to see live missiles been prepared on a live shoot exercise. Dozens of them on carts before hanging on aircraft and technicians were checking them out including the seeker head by removing the metal cover and side by side one would see an extreme variation in colours.

It is basically an opaque whitish glass cover but the colour of them go in all directions! Remember same mark and type of missile!

I think in the heat seeker range the early R-3S had a clear glass cover.

Janne, a great kit there!!!!!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanx Gabor 😄

I was a bit surprised by the disparity in seeker heads...a bit confusing but gives a bit of freedom to us modellers 🙂