About e-books and our hobby

On 5/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, cruiz said:

I’ll start by saying “I love to read and also love books” in that order

I feel the same way.  I love to hold them in my hands, see them on my shelf, etc..  Frankly, the only way I would buy an e-book is if it was the only way I could get a volume I really, really wanted.  I tend to get headaches when reading from  an electronic display for too long a period of time (I've been told it has to do with pixels, refresh rates and so on, but all I know is that it happens) - a couple of hours is about all I can do at one go.  However, I can read print from a paper page all day long.  I can also read my books if the electricity goes down for a few days, all my batteries die, etc.  Best of all, my books can never be stealth edited or erased.  Computers and like devices are great for doing a lot of different things, and the internet is wonderful for doing research, communicating with others and such, but for my personal library, I'll keep my printed books.

Since we're starting to head off in a tangent, I'll say the digital publishing revolution is not the boon it was made out to be.  So many recent books have stupid typos in them that old-fashioned editing and printing would have caught.

I'll say it again:  I offer my services as proof-reader for aviation-related works.  Catching typos is one thing, being able to catch factual errors is another entirely and that's where I can assist.  All I ask is a signed copy of the completed work.

Edited by Slartibartfast
18 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

All I ask is a signed copy of the completed work.

You want a signed copy of a digital book?

All kidding aside, you'd be better off contacting publishers as all of the authors I've worked with are prohibited from sending copy out for proofreading.

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I found this today on my newsfeed; talking about scaring people away from adopting new technology.

Link

BTW, I didn't know microsoft had an ebook store

Carlos

I read that this morning. I didn't know they had ebooks either.

While I usually have good reason to criticize Microsoft technologies, at least they had the integrity--and ability--to refund the money spent at their store, so good on them.