F-14D Loadouts and markings.

Was at the Smithsonian Annex last weekend and was curious about their F-14D display.

They had one Phoenix and one JDAM underneath.

The plane displayed was one that shot a Libyan fighter down, but the display bird did not have the kil marking on it.

Did the cary the Phoenix and JDAM together? or is this just a display of what it could carry?

I thought kill marks stayed on the plane, am I wrong?

All air-to-air kills were made by F-14A's. So that answers your question about the kill markings. As far as the loadout you'd have to ask the former ordinance guys around here as they are the SME's.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/day-aviation-history-f-14-tomcats-first-air-air-victory/

Edited by Whiskey

Not necessarily about the kill. I'm not sure about the buno on that particular jet, but quite a few Alphas were re-manufactured into Deltas. It's possible that could be one of them. If it is one of those that earned a kill, I would think they would keep the marking on it, but who knows. As for the loadout, that would be possible. But the Phoenix would be slung from the left wing pylon, with a lantirn pod on the right. And there would likely be 2 JDAMs underneath. 

Edited by Micro

Seems you are spot on about the re-mod and BuNo's Micro!

"The National Air and Space Museum's Tomcat (BuNo. 159610) was built as an F-14A-85-GR and was one of the few Tomcats that was modified as an F-14D(R) in the early 1990s. It is credited with one MiG kill which was earned on January 4, 1989, near the coast of Libya."

http://www.f-14association.com/images/display/display-159610.htm

The F-14 on display is correctly one of the Libyan MiG-killers, and it was rebuilt to F-14D standard. I believe the medal on the nose details the kill information. 

• 1 month later...

The medal on the nose was actually a bit of a joke in the squadron. That bird was a hangar queen mainly used for spare parts to keep everyone else flying during OIF/OEF on Lincoln's 10 month '02/'03 cruise that ended with the "Mission Accomplished" speech. The medal said something like "I gave so others could fight", but I'd have to do some searching to verify.

Dave