Modern Navy procedural question

I presume the answer is "it varies" / "is not set" but just in case that's not the case, do the call signs that are currently used during missions correspond to aircraft in any  way?

I.e. if I wanted to build a model of "Zapper Two One" on a specific date, is there a way to determine the BuNo/squadron AC number, etc., from any source other than tracking down the air crew and having them look in their log book?

I think if you could do that it would be a gross violation of OPSEC. I can tell you in my AF career our squadron used the same call sign for training but when  we went in theater, the callsigns  were chosen by higher headquarters.

What "Boom" said, in theater calls signs are generated higher up the food chain.

Navy, generally speaking, for  local ops radio call signs are whatever the squadron name is (or something related to the squadron) and the number is related to the pilot in commands hierarchy in the food chain, i.e. "Zapper one" would be the CO (Zapper two one, some junior officer down the line, LTjg or such).

Edited by 82Whitey51

I'd have figured that, other than for "in-theater" ops, it would be whatever the squadron's usual call sign was followed by the Modex.  At least that's the normal procedure around here;  Double Down 876, Salty Dog 123, Tester 22, etc.  So yes, they would correspond to an aircraft.  But I'm not sure how easy it would be to ID a specific BuNo that was tied to a specific Modex at any given date, as the Modex can and does change and there may or may not be a record of what it was at a given time unless you find a clear photo.  The only number that really matters is the BuNo as that's the official ID; the Modex is just the squadron's number for the jet.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

So, I might as well provide the reason for my question just so people aren't spending precious time on things that don't pertain (not a snark, just wanting to respect everyone's time).

I'm thinking of trying to do the jet that made a somewhat infamous obscene contrail drawing last year. The report was recently released and thankfully redacted the aircrew's personal information, but did include the call sign used on a training mission over the continental US. No OpSec, some PerSec concerns, but really I just thought it would be a fun individual plane to model.

1 hour ago, Tracy White said:

So, I might as well provide the reason for my question just so people aren't spending precious time on things that don't pertain (not a snark, just wanting to respect everyone's time).

I'm thinking of trying to do the jet that made a somewhat infamous obscene contrail drawing last year. The report was recently released and thankfully redacted the aircrew's personal information, but did include the call sign used on a training mission over the continental US. No OpSec, some PerSec concerns, but really I just thought it would be a fun individual plane to model.

:rofl:

Yeah, the info linking the BuNo/modex to the scheduled call sign would be on that day's flight schedule and maintenance docs held at the squadron level. Some of that eventually gets archived, but not sure where or when. Like you say, the crew would have it entered in their log books, too. 

No easy way to get it, you could ask the squadron PAO but I bet he's been discouraged to pass along further info. Too bad, it was an historic event well worth commemoration...!

20 hours ago, Tracy White said:

I'm thinking of trying to do the jet that made a somewhat infamous obscene contrail drawing last year.

Curious if the jet had a “kill” mark to commemorate the event.  You can guess what would look like.....  😂

I'm thinking a 1/350 aircraft on the end of a wire which has been shaped into a representation of the artpiece and covered in teased cotton.

I wonder how that would go over at a IPMS model show.